Ranking the 2014 Schedule

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Of the games listed, which is the MOST difficult?

@ Texas (8-5)
69%
@ UCF (12-1, #10)
31%

Total votes: 29

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Ranking the 2014 Schedule

Post by SpiffCoug »

Here it is! The FINAL poll. In this poll - like Survivor - you're voting for the opposite of all other polls. In this poll you're voting for the game you think is the MOST difficult.

Here's how the schedule looks so far:
1. ???
2. ???
3. @ Boise St 74%
4. vs Houston 80%
5. vs Utah St 78%
6. @ UConn 92%
7. @ Cal 69%
8. @ Middle Tennesse 48%
9. vs UNLV 55%
10. vs Virginia 40%
11. vs Nevada 60%
12. vs Savannah St 96.4%

I'm going with Texas because it's the game that is likely going to defines the season and sets the stage for what could be a very special season.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Ranking the 2014 Schedule

Post by Cougarbib »

Goin with the horns. Not sure what UCF will bring this year. If we were playing UCF 2013 Team, they would easily top this list. They will be good, but iirc, their QB declared and got drafted. They will have plenty of speed.

I think even though Texas leads this poll 4-0 at the moment this is a tough call.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I think people are seeing last years record and letting it sway their vote.
UCF lost several key folks including their QB who had a Heisman-quality season and solid draft pick.
I think they will be rebuilding and Texas will be gunning for BYU for embarrassing them.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

I give the advantage to UCF. Here's why:

They will have a quality and speedy RB in Stanback and will likely have one of the best G5 wide receiver corps. UCF cannot just simply replace Bortles, but, they have decent options and can break in the new QB by Week 7. They will have played Penn St., Missouri, and Houston. That's good competition that will prepare them for BYU. The good news for BYU is the Knights are breaking in 3 new OL.

UCF will actually have a tough defense. They are borderline elite in the secondary and return all 4 DB's. They also return most other key defensive players. They were a top-15 last year, giving up fewer than 20 points per game.

UCF will have an entire week to prepare for the Thursday night game against BYU, after playing the previous Thursday v. Houston. BYU plays the previous Friday night, but then will likely have time off over the weekend for General Conference. Add in a long travel day to Orlando, and BYU could be short changed on preparation for this game.

Texas has a stable of quality running backs and receivers. Like UCF, the question mark is QB. They have talent on D, but it hasn't gelled yet. It will be Texas' second game under new coaching and not all wrinkles will have been ironed after the Week 1 game against North Texas.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

I believe UT will be the better team given the UCF losses. UT will have more talent and the coaching staff will turn it around. Y Not makes a good case for UCF above.

That being said, BYU plays UT at a very favorable time. New coach, new system uncertainty at QB. All these issues will take care of themselves with experience, which they will gain over the year. Beating a good UT early on could be much more impressive as we look back at the end of the year as the UT team evolves. We have an opportunity for a more quality win than expected.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

UCF. Everyone comes back but their QB. Their D is top 20 and they have NFL receivers.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

BYU in road games vs. major conference teams and ND .500 or better.

2013 ND L
2013 Wisconsin L
2012 GT W
2012 ND L
2011 Texas L
2010 FSU L
2006 BC L
2006 AZ L
2005 ND L
2003 USC L
2002 GT L
2000 Syracuse L
2000 Virginia W
1998 Washington L
1998 Alabama L
1997 ASU W
1996 Washington L
1995 ASU L
1994 ND W
1993 UCLA L
1992 ND L
1991 Penn St L
1991 UCLA L
1990 Oregon L

4-20 in road games against decent major competition over the last quarter century. I assume Texas will be at least decent. I think Texas will be our toughest game.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

December 7th, 2013: Baylor 30, Texas 10. Baylor outgains Texas by 291 yards.
January 1st, 2014: UCF 52, Baylor 42. Baylor is outgained by UCF.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/tea ... ylor-bears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Mars wrote:
December 7th, 2013: Baylor 30, Texas 10. Baylor outgains Texas by 291 yards.
January 1st, 2014: UCF 52, Baylor 42. Baylor is outgained by UCF.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/tea ... ylor-bears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UCF was incredible - last year. Last year. Texas should improve over last year. UCF should slip vs last year. I think UCF would have killed Texas last year. This year - close call.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Another Tx player suspended, a Sr RB. That makes five according to a recent tweet.
I would be tempted to change my vote as the culture is more infested than I thought relative to my belief that Strong could turn things around. But still, the loss of Bortles is not small. All depends on who is replacing Bortles. Does anyone know anything about the next UCF QB?