Texas Felons?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Texas Felons?

Post by Cougarbib »

Hookem:

Well, Bib, add two more to the list.

Strong just kicked off two more players for violation of team rules. RB - Jalen Overstreet and DB - C. Collins.

Charlie is not messing around. These kids are getting a crash course on Accountability.

Bib:

This will be very good for Texas in the long run. I just hope it takes them three weeks to get firing on AL cylinders ad then run the table.

One of the receivers started several games last season. The other was a redshirt freshman.

Were either of these last two significant contributors?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

Cougarbib wrote: This will be very good for Texas in the long run. I just hope it takes them three weeks to get firing on AL cylinders ad then run the table.

One of the receivers started several games last season. The other was a redshirt freshman.

Were either of these last two significant contributors?

Sanders will be missed. He quite possibly had the highest upside of all of our receivers. Very fast, dynamic player. But considering the offense/crime, I'm glad he's gone.

The other two weren't big contributors as of yet, but had the opportunity to be special players, but it probably would've been a season or two before that came to fruition.

There are rumors swirling that two more players may be out as well. Not sure if its real, or if people are just paranoid. Strong has made it clear that he has no problem cutting players loose.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Oh sheeeeesh. All things considered, how much does this impact the Texas O and wwhoAsh throws to?

Charlie Strong ain't messin' round.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:Oh sheeeeesh. All things considered, how much does this impact the Texas O and wwhoAsh throws to?

Charlie Strong ain't messin' round.

Right now, Sanders is the biggest loss. Shipley and Marcus Johnson were ahead of him, but like I said above, he arguably had the most potential.

Reports are now that Senior RB - Joe Bergeron is gone as well. That makes 5 in the last 24 hours. Joe wasn't a starter but that was his own fault, he could've been had he put forth the work. He was held out of the spring game and was one of the players not allowed in the locker room for the spring and summer. Charlie had mentioned earlier this week that Joe had fought his way back and was doing well, but if the reports are true, apparently he screwed up since those comments.

Joe is one Diggs may have had a part in "weeding" out. Back during spring ball, a player tried to start a mutiny with some other players who weren't happy about the coaching change and the way Charlie was doing things. Reports have suggested that Joe was the ring leader. Charlie caught wind of it and squashed it before it gained any traction.

This is so much different than the way Mack ran things. Charlie is clearly sending a message days before camp that he isn't putting up with nonsense and they had better be ready to work.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

Goodness gracious. Now hearing Senior DB - Josh Turner and Senior LB - Kendall Thompson have been dismissed as well. ***Just heard Thompson was medical (too many concussions)***

Josh Turner hurts. Was in the two deep, possibly a starter.

We're at 7 and counting. Looks like we may catch up to Louisville's attrition numbers in about a 24 hour span. Most of the guys today are seniors. Makes sense, I hadn't heard much about them during the summer workout sessions and 7 on 7's.
Last edited by Hookem on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

For the record - I love Texas. As a matter of fact, I just drove all all night to get to El Paso (got here at 3:00 am). My daughter is married to a fellow (a Capt/dentist) who is stationed @ Ft. Bliss. Anyway, my daughter is pregnant & ready to calve out. Going to have a little Texan here this weekend.

My brother lives in San Antonio. I'm a UT fan all year long - till the play the Y. Gotta hang with my Alma Mater.

P.S. I love the Texas independent spirit - and I am proud Gov. Perry has called out the Nat. Guard to help control their border. Go Texas! More power to ya!

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

Ddawg wrote:For the record - I love Texas. As a matter of fact, I just drove all all night to get to El Paso (got here at 3:00 am). My daughter is married to a fellow (a Capt/dentist) who is stationed @ Ft. Bliss. Anyway, my daughter is pregnant & ready to calve out. Going to have a little Texan here this weekend.

My brother lives in San Antonio. I'm a UT fan all year long - till the play the Y. Gotta hang with my Alma Mater.

P.S. I love the Texas independent spirit - and I am proud Gov. Perry has called out the Nat. Guard to help control their border. Go Texas! More power to ya!
Congrats on the little one!

DeVon
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by DeVon »

All of these dismissals do not make Texas weaker, on the contrary, it makes them stronger. I can understand why Texas fans would be discouraged by losing some talented athletes, and I can also understand why some BYU fans hear this news and think "yes, we're going to win now" but neither conclusion is accurate. We saw last year that the formula of (no discipline(5* talent + entitlement) = 269 rushing yards for opponent's QB) and Coach Strong knows this. After he trims the fat and gets the remaining players committed and disciplined this team is going to go right back to Texas glory days, mark it down. I, as a cougar fan, am nervous at the prospect of playing a Charlie Strong team with Texas caliber talent, and am impressed with the style whereby he is cleaning house.

Good to see you back Hookem.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

DeVon wrote:All of these dismissals do not make Texas weaker, on the contrary, it makes them stronger. I can understand why Texas fans would be discouraged by losing some talented athletes, and I can also understand why some BYU fans hear this news and think "yes, we're going to win now" but neither conclusion is accurate. We saw last year that the formula of (no discipline(5* talent + entitlement) = 269 rushing yards for opponent's QB) and Coach Strong knows this. After he trims the fat and gets the remaining players committed and disciplined this team is going to go right back to Texas glory days, mark it down. I, as a cougar fan, am nervous at the prospect of playing a Charlie Strong team with Texas caliber talent, and am impressed with the style whereby he is cleaning house.

Good to see you back Hookem.
Thanks, my friend!

I completely agree with your comments. I've been a part of the burn it down element of the fan base.

Whatever it takes to get Texas back to where it use to be where no one questioned our toughness. I've hated the country club mentality over the past few years.

Just saw a segment on ESPN where one of the first things Charlie did was take the smoothie bar out of the weight room. A smoothie bar? Really? How embarrassing...

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

Hearing now that potentially two starters on the o-line and speedy RB- Daje Johnson are on the chopping block.

Appears that all those being dismissed were on probation since the spring. They had a set of expectations including workout, 7 on 7 and class attendance, as well as drug tests, etc. They were up for a final evaluation before summer camp and so far none that I know of have passed, and therefore sent packing.

This should be an eye opener to anyone who thinks Mack Brown was treated unfairly or should've been given multiple chances to turn this around. A sound program involves so much more than just X's and O's, and great athletes. You may get by on that for a while, but after long it will eventually decay and crumble from the inside out. I'm not sure that 95% of the coaches in college ball would be willing to do what Strong is doing just days before summer camp. I'm impressed.