Causal FB fan - Are we actually good?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Causal FB fan - Are we actually good?

Post by Qman »

Hey BYU FB experts, I casually follow the football team. Are we going to be good this year?

Being in Houston how much do I talk up the Cougars to the Texas fans at work?

I know Hill and Williams are stars-- do we know who the next reciever(s) are?

On D do we have anyone on Ansah's or Van Noy's level?

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Re: Causal FB fan - Are we actually good?

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I'm no expert.....but,

10 or 11 win season is Pretty good! BYU is going to be an exciting team to watch and follow. They will be relevant in the national scene and be in the top 25..

Going to BE a great rematch with the HCougs. Two of the top 10 QBs in the country.
In the end, the HCougs at their speed and this game's speed will sputter in Q4 because of elevation.

Intriguing returners at WR and very intriguing recruits/transfers to make a deep squad who could hurt teams if Hill can deliver the ball.

D stars = Bronson Kaufusi--he will play on Sundays. Other very good players including The best defensive backfield maybe since 1996.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

BYU will be a top 40 team as usual or better. We don't know anything about how the receivers will play in this system, and only one top guy has any D1 experience (I'm not really counting on MM or Apo to do anything). The rest is hype--which we all love.

The QB will be in Heisman discussions before the end of next season. Our RB is above average for BYU, but he's no Unga yet.

The OL hopefully doesn't suck and same goes for the TE's. The D will be fine, but there's a lot of talk about the potential for a couple of "shutdown corners," which in BYU land probably means a 10-yard cushion instead of 15. :)

This will be a fun season, and we'll beat UT too. You going to that game? Where in Houston do you live?

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

mizzoucoug wrote: Our RB is above average for BYU, but he's no Unga yet.

This is the only part of your post that I have a problem with. I loved Unga, and he had incredible field vision, finding holes that most backs simply missed, but I think that Williams has the explosive speed that Unga never had, making him a better back than Unga at this point in their careers.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

BYU should be good for a minimum of 10 games with upside.

7 games we should easily win and have zero business losing (UConn, UVA, Savannah State, Nevada, MTSU, UNLV, Cal) (95% prob)

2 we should win (USU, BSU) (80%)

2 that could go either way but BYU should pull it (Houston, UCF) (65%)

1 toss up (UT) (50%)

Anything less than 10 regular season wins should be considered a horrible year, given the schedule. Things roll the right way it could be better than 10 wins, things roll the wrong way and we get 9 or less.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

I like JW lack of fumbles. Elite.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

JW will equal and probably surpass Unga loved that guy. WISH He would have stayed his Sr year. Hope JW stays his Sr year. Both deserve Elite status at BYU.

DeVon
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by DeVon »

NDCougar wrote:BYU should be good for a minimum of 10 games with upside.

7 games we should easily win and have zero business losing (UConn, UVA, Savannah State, Nevada, MTSU, UNLV, Cal) (95% prob)

2 we should win (USU, BSU) (80%)

2 that could go either way but BYU should pull it (Houston, UCF) (65%)

1 toss up (UT) (50%)

Anything less than 10 regular season wins should be considered a horrible year, given the schedule. Things roll the right way it could be better than 10 wins, things roll the wrong way and we get 9 or less.
I hate this and am sick of everybody on boards and in the media bagging on BYU's schedule this year and saying "if BYU doesn't go 12-1 or better it is a disgrace to college football and they should cut the football program altogether" (I'm paraphrasing). This is a serviceable schedule that is better than most years in the MWC, which is about as good as we could hope for as an indy.

Your top 7 games are about right, not much to argue there (95% is a little high, but not worth arguing)

USU and BSU - I agree that we SHOULD win these games but 80%...really? We finally beat BSU and now we can say that we should beat them 80% of our remaining games? First of all it is in Boise and they have a great home field advantage. Secondively, Heddrick has more experience and he is "The Guy" now. The only thing against BSU, and I admit it is no small thing, is that they lost Chris Peterson. USU is scary. Wells is an AWESOME coach and Keeton is a great QB with something to prove against BYU. I give us a slight edge in either game at 60%, but wouldn't be surprised to see us split these.

UCF, Houston, UT - These are 50/50 at best. Remind me what our record in the state of Florida is??? I know UCF lost Bortles, but they are a great program with a great coach. Houston scares the crap out of me, John O'Korn is one of the best young QB's in the nation. UT? Well, they're Texas, and if they only have one game circled this year, raise your hand if you think it is anybody but BYU.

Sorry about the long post, but this has been driving me crazy lately. If BYU ends this season 10-3 or better it is one of the great seasons.

Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

Qman wrote:Being in Houston how much do I talk up the Cougars to the Texas fans at work?
As a Texas fan, I say that if you have to talk up BYU to Texas fans after last years shellacking in Provo and the close game in Austin in 2011, then either they've been in a coma the last 3 years and haven't yet been caught up on their current events, or they're clueless and aren't worth the trouble to explain why the game in Austin this year is one to take seriously.

The name Taysom Hill, along with BYU's '13 defense likely provided some memories that Texas fans would prefer have erased from their collective minds. Just saying...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Hookem on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

ABYUFAN wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote: Our RB is above average for BYU, but he's no Unga yet.

This is the only part of your post that I have a problem with. I loved Unga, and he had incredible field vision, finding holes that most backs simply missed, but I think that Williams has the explosive speed that Unga never had, making him a better back than Unga at this point in their careers.
That is true, but how often do we really get to see JW use his speed? It seems like most of his runs are read-options up the gut for 3 yards max. So some of it is on play-calling. But I still take Unga because if it's 3rd and goal or short he gets you those yards due to his size and physicality. JW is not a sure thing. And he hasn't proven to be a receiving threat like Unga was.