Sockgate sources?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Sockgate sources?

Post by Fido »

49erCoug wrote:
Fido wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I also find it interesting that the local media has found Uani Unga's cryptic tweet worthy of more discussion than Utah's Wilson's arrest.
To be fair, Wilson wasn't arrested--just cited. While Sockgate is something local media has invested lots of time and for some their reputation as they have taken a beating from fans. So they are eager to have some results to flaunt.
To be fair.. Wilson WAS ARRESTED.. but.. instead of going to jail he was given a citation.. IF he would have gone to jail, he still would have received the same citation.. It still counts as an arrest, he just avoided going to jail for the night.
So now we're splitting hairs. Was he removed from the scene and booked? No. In fact, he is in the same boat that Jamaal Williams was earlier this year. ;)
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... tml?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

scott715 wrote:No news, and totally quiet. Might have to wait until the UConn game to know if anything came out of it.
My understanding is that BYU has completed their investigation, and has submitted their findings and self-imposed penatlies to the NCAA and are just waiting to hear back if the NCAA is going to accept that, or if they are going to do their own investigation and/or impose additional penalties. From what I can tell, a number of players will be suspended for the UCONN game, one or two possibly the Texas game as well. The players to be suspended have already been informed of the suspension, so that's how we know about that, but there could be additional self-imposed penalties that only the AD dept knows about (e.g. loss of a scholarship for a year, etc.).

49erCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by 49erCoug »

Fido wrote:
49erCoug wrote:
Fido wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I also find it interesting that the local media has found Uani Unga's cryptic tweet worthy of more discussion than Utah's Wilson's arrest.
To be fair, Wilson wasn't arrested--just cited. While Sockgate is something local media has invested lots of time and for some their reputation as they have taken a beating from fans. So they are eager to have some results to flaunt.
To be fair.. Wilson WAS ARRESTED.. but.. instead of going to jail he was given a citation.. IF he would have gone to jail, he still would have received the same citation.. It still counts as an arrest, he just avoided going to jail for the night.
So now we're splitting hairs. Was he removed from the scene and booked? No. In fact, he is in the same boat that Jamaal Williams was earlier this year. ;)
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... tml?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nope.. not splitting hairs.. just stating the facts.. and yes.. same as Jamaal.. who was also arrested..

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

49erCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by 49erCoug »

Fido wrote:Image

Go back to Cougarboard for this garbage.. All I did was clarify a misconception that Wilson (or Jamaal) weren't arrested.. it is like saying some breaks into a house to rob it.. sorry.. you don't rob a house.. it is burglarized..

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

49erCoug wrote:
Fido wrote:...
Go back to Cougarboard for this garbage.. All I did was clarify a misconception that Wilson (or Jamaal) weren't arrested.. it is like saying some breaks into a house to rob it.. sorry.. you don't rob a house.. it is burglarized..
Oh get over yourself. :roll:

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

craigoscarson wrote:Are we sure this has anything to do with sockgate?

Uani offered to sell his #4 BYU jersey on twitter the same day... I'd imagine that people might be calling coach about that. Preston Hadley had to talk Uona Kaveinga out of selling his on twitter.

I'd imagine a young dude with a family to feed, values $500-$1000 more than his game used jersey at times... but boy would he regret selling that and I'm sure his teammates would do anything to keep him from selling because many of them know it's not worth it.

Not sure if this is the case, but I think we read into these cryptic tweets a little too much at times.
In the wake of sockgate, some players probably went and told coaches about Uani selling his jersey. I would.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:Are we sure this has anything to do with sockgate?

Uani offered to sell his #4 BYU jersey on twitter the same day... I'd imagine that people might be calling coach about that. Preston Hadley had to talk Uona Kaveinga out of selling his on twitter.

I'd imagine a young dude with a family to feed, values $500-$1000 more than his game used jersey at times... but boy would he regret selling that and I'm sure his teammates would do anything to keep him from selling because many of them know it's not worth it.

Not sure if this is the case, but I think we read into these cryptic tweets a little too much at times.
In the wake of sockgate, some players probably went and told coaches about Uani selling his jersey. I would.
Technically Bronco is on twitter (or at least his assistant is in his name) so it wouldn't have been hard for him to see that anyway. And Uani has graduated now so he can sell it.

Matty-B
Junior

Post by Matty-B »

So he spells "quick" as "quicc" ???
Is he affiliated with Crips like Desean Jackson ? :o
Can someone summarize for me the allegations now known as "sockgate"?

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Matty-B wrote:Can someone summarize for me the allegations now known as "sockgate"?
As far as I can remember it was almost entirely 1280 the zone with a little of Kyle Gunther saying it's true and a little of the Trib reporting on it. It was everything from players getting free stuff to Busby having a "safe house" the players could take girls to do the naked dance and not get in trouble. DJ and PK extrapolated out that some players were living there which was free rent and had that been going on for x number of years then it was x number of dollars and the came up with something in the $100's of thousands range.

The only thing I've heard substantiated was maybe free socks. Then a Freedom of Information act request showed that Utah had reported around 99 violations in the last few years and all of the talk of BYU violations just ended (and Utah's never really started).

Rumor is that BYU self reported to the NCAA something and recommended in-house discipline and they're still waiting to hear back. BYU has said it's nothing major and there may be some small suspensions.

Cougar fans have since vowed to never listened to 1280 (unless they're bored and 1320 goes to commercial break) ;)

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it