Friday Scrimmage

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Friday Scrimmage

Post by Cougs_Rule »

mizzoucoug wrote:So it sounds like the offense will continue to be pedestrian again this season. Check. My expectations have officially been adjusted.
Upward or downward, because your expectations were already near doom and gloom? Or are your "expectations" different from what your "predictions" have been as of a late?

THill will be slightly improved over last year. I was hoping for more, but will take what we get. His one pass tot he corner end zone to Kurt henderson(?) was a very well thrown and timed ball.
But, Receivers will be considerably improved. Cody was not a deep threat. BYU didn't have much of a deep threat. That changes this year. Oline is also improved to give him more time.
Those factors, if nothing else, open up his run threat.

So, in fact, my expectations have gone from this could be a blistering Offense to this will be an improved offense over last year. If last year was a 7, with a few standout performances like vs Texas (9) then this years offense overall will be a strong 8 with the potential for a 9. The single biggest factor that we didn't even see much of last night was red zone offense. Will BYU be able to get the ball in the end zone?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I must say, it was a bit conspicuous that Instead of phasing out the starting qb toward the end of the scrimmage, THill took the last four series and Stewart is the one that got phased out.
Im not trying to fuel a qb contro, but whatever reasons THill got the last four series; maybe it was bronco that demanded it, maybe Anae; maybe even THill begged, who knows; but THill clearly looked frustrated and it wasnt as though his receivers were slacking and making him look average in his passing. Its only one scrimmage and the D has the advantage, bc play selection was limited, penalties abounded, and the O won the last scrimmage. But its worth noting. There is no way Stewart starts over THill, its just very interesting that not only did Thill get far more chances to iron out problems, but Bronco had to shore up his starter with post-scrimmage comments (yes, media driven) to shore up an otherwise unquestioned starter. Ammon Olsen looked better at passing but couldnt quite create enough noise to challenge THills very entrenched starting position. Stewart has already surpassed that level and if Opponents can shut down THills run and the O's run, ala Washington, THills passing better be up to snuff or the media and fans will be baiting this QB contro, especially if a few losses show up.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

It's okay, people. It's just one scrimmage.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BOID »

So the defense had a good day. We should be applauding that, considering how the D, more than the O, is rebuilding this year. The O is returning more experience on the line than the D. I for one am pleased to see the D come out strong. I think that this O will be OK. On another day, the O will be back. It's good to know that Stewart can play. I'm not worried about Hill.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

And the whole D hasnt even played together yet. Fua and Kaufusi werent even out there last night. OUr D backfield is still being sorted out. Imagine if all those guys were out there?
I know the sky is not falling and Thill will be "just fine"--if he can run wild as he wants, but my expectations have been tempered for sure. this is only a scrimmage and it was obvious to anyone who watched Hill closely, that he had serious hesitation. Like Riley, he would far much rather scramble and create. He had some nice passes to. But I am starting to get he sense from coaches comments, including Bronco's last night, that he "would rather them throw it more and Bronco has to ratchet it back" or words to that effect--almost as if to coach from the comments that Hill needs to let it fly more often. But, never to worrry, TH knows in the back of his mind that Bronco prefers a running-man qb and so does Anae. And so his default mode is not different than coaches and as a result, unless he gets injured, his job is not in jeopardy. But, why was he so unerved and worried last night?

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:So it sounds like the offense will continue to be pedestrian again this season. Check. My expectations have officially been adjusted.
Upward or downward, because your expectations were already near doom and gloom? Or are your "expectations" different from what your "predictions" have been as of a late?

THill will be slightly improved over last year. I was hoping for more, but will take what we get. His one pass tot he corner end zone to Kurt henderson(?) was a very well thrown and timed ball.
But, Receivers will be considerably improved. Cody was not a deep threat. BYU didn't have much of a deep threat. That changes this year. Oline is also improved to give him more time.

So, in fact, my expectations have gone from this could be a blistering Offense to this will be an improved offense over last year. If last year was a 7, with a few standout performances like vs Texas (9) then this years offense overall will be a strong 8 with the potential for a 9. The single biggest factor that we didn't even see much of last night was red zone offense. Will BYU be able to get the ball in the end zone?
The BYU offense was a 7 last year? You are pretty easy to please. :)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Maybe I am easy to please.
Riley Nelson offenses I had at a 6 and sometimes a 5. Isn't 2013 offense about a 7 in relation?
Like a golf handicap system, maybe it's harder to shave less as it gets better. But yes, last year a 7 and this year potential to be a 9 with all the weapons and better Oline. BYUS had two 1,000'+ yard rushers. That's not a 6.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:

The BYU offense was a 7 last year? You are pretty easy to please. :)
LOL. Agreed. To clarify, my expectations were to be a 37+ ppg team with the ability to score quickly. Instead I see the O getting bogged down often like vs UW but doing slightly better in the RZ. They'll be around 32 ppg season average, which is an improvement. But what they need most is explosiveness to win the road games. If the newcomers are as good as we all think they are then we should be able to throw some punches away from home. And that's what matters most since we'll be undefeated at home no problem this year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

So when the offense does well against the defense, we all freak out because the D is going to suck this year since bronco is not calling the plays. When the Defense gets the better of the offense, we all freak out because the offense is going to suck this year and hasn't improved over what it was last year. See that is the problem with scrimmages, you are playing against yourself. None of the fans have any idea what the coaches were looking to accomplish with the scrimmage or if the goals they wanted to accomplish were met. Don't freak out until or if BYU loses to UConn. If BYU loses to UConn, we can all turn into Chicken littles.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

I would put the Riley Nelson offense at a six too. A PICK six...

(Nailed it.)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: