Friday Scrimmage

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Friday Scrimmage

Post by Cougarbib »

It was very clear what the coaches were trying to accomplish. They came out throwing. They wanted to get in some work punting and kicking field goals. They wanted to get a look at certain players. I do not think Bronco was hoping to see sloppy play with tons of penalties. It was clear that even Taysom knows that he was not sharp. I am sure the D knew they could ignore the QB run.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Cougarbib wrote:It was very clear what the coaches were trying to accomplish. They came out throwing. They wanted to get in some work punting and kicking field goals. They wanted to get a look at certain players. I do not think Bronco was hoping to see sloppy play with tons of penalties. It was clear that even Taysom knows that he was not sharp. I am sure the D knew they could ignore the QB run.

So from an offensive point of view, the coaches were trying to improve on the throw game. What can anyone tell me about what the defensive coaches were trying to do? Like I said, this was practice, the defense played better today, the offense supposedly got over on the defense in the last scrimmage so the defense responded. No one other than the coaches have any idea how far along the offense is right now and they probably don't know perfectly either since we are going against ourselves right now. I will be concerned or pleased depending on BYU looks against UConn. Fans getting alarmed over practice and scrimmages is fruitless. Also Christian Stewart said in an interview after the scrimmage that Taysom played pretty well until they took his primary targets out of the scrimmage and never put them back in, so he was throwing to guys in which his timing with them may not be exactly on. Not making excuses but that sort of thing can throw you off.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

How was the secondary aligned? Did anyone see any bump and run coverage or was it the same old 15 yard cushion? I've read that Davis and Shelton played very well. I'd love to watch a BYU team physical on the corners like they are at the line.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

mizzoucoug wrote:How was the secondary aligned? Did anyone see any bump and run coverage or was it the same old 15 yard cushion? I've read that Davis and Shelton played very well. I'd love to watch a BYU team physical on the corners like they are at the line.
At gfgh speed, it was really hard to keep track of who was on the field. They gave out a 2 sided roster, but it was not in numerical sequence, and there are usually an offensive and defensive player with the same number. A few players had the Riley Nelson rolled up jersey, show the abs look, and that hid their number.

Overall, dbs were not giving the usual fat cushion.

There were not a lot of wide open receivers getting missed by QBs other than some badly overthrown deep balls on 2 or 3 plays. The passing attack was more dink and dunk occasionally going deeper. They did not look as explosive as I expected.

There were several QB runs on broken plays that would have gotten more yards if not stopped by quick whistles.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

Was TH as bad as reported? I had several friends that attended the scrimmage say he was horrid. This is coming from friends in Utah as well as I guy I spoke to Sunday at church who had just returned from Provo.

One comment was TH won't ever get to where he needs to passing and is a good running QB but will never be the passing guy that we need. Comments included: unsure, sporadic, slow to release the ball, lost looking into coverage, inaccurate and on the positive side he continues to be a heck of a running threat. Not sure what to believe as I have read other positive reports. Was he that bad? I obviously have yet to see him practice/scrimmage, this is all second hand.

I was extremely hopeful that TH would really step up this year.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

ND. That is pretty much what I saw. On a positive note, another Stanford guy named John Elway was a bit of slow starter on getting his passing game up to snuff.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I am not sold on this team yet. I think the expectations have been set too high already. I am not expecting much to be different from last year. It seems we are more athletic and the potential is there but until I see improved execution i just can't bring myself to believe it. I dont' have much faith in Anae and Bronco handing the D over is a question mark.

But I agree that we can't take much from the practice reports and scrimmages we have seen. We wont know until Uconn what kind of shape this team is really in.

we certainly have the potential to be improved. I just don't see us coming out of the gate too much better. hopefully i am completely wrong.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

jonnylingo wrote:I am not sold on this team yet. I think the expectations have been set too high already. I am not expecting much to be different from last year. It seems we are more athletic and the potential is there but until I see improved execution i just can't bring myself to believe it. I dont' have much faith in Anae and Bronco handing the D over is a question mark.

But I agree that we can't take much from the practice reports and scrimmages we have seen. We wont know until Uconn what kind of shape this team is really in.

we certainly have the potential to be improved. I just don't see us coming out of the gate too much better. hopefully i am completely wrong.
Ditto. Hopefully there will be less "whoopsie" head coaching decisions with Bronco offloading the defense (time mismanagements, etc). But I can't help thinking that the defense is going to be taking two large steps back, in strategy. Bronco is an elite defensive mind, and I want him in with the defense as much as possible.

I predict at least two or three losses, based mostly on offensive inefficiency and playcalling (including special teams). And that is bad, because our schedule is shaking up to be on par or worse than our MWC days.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Ever since Quest for Perfection, I have tempered my expectations...a lot. I don't expect anything. I hope we win all our games, but I don't expect it. I didn't expect Hill to suddenly grow a throwing arm over the off season.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:I am not sold on this team yet. I think the expectations have been set too high already. I am not expecting much to be different from last year. It seems we are more athletic and the potential is there but until I see improved execution i just can't bring myself to believe it. I dont' have much faith in Anae and Bronco handing the D over is a question mark.

Ditto. Hopefully there will be less "whoopsie" head coaching decisions with Bronco offloading the defense (time mismanagements, etc). But I can't help thinking that the defense is going to be taking two large steps back, in strategy. Bronco is an elite defensive mind, and I want him in with the defense as much as possible.

I predict at least two or three losses, based mostly on offensive inefficiency and playcalling (including special teams). And that is bad, because our schedule is shaking up to be on par or worse than our MWC days.
if 10-3 is "bad", what is 11-2 - disappointing? 12-1? Mediocre. 13-0 good. And how might they ever milk a very good or as needed outstanding out of someone who labels 10-3 as "bad"?

Gonna be a long season.