How Would Wins Change Expectations?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: How Would Wins Change Expectations?

Post by Cougarbib »

Y 4 Ever wrote:I'm already expecting 12-0 (like I do every August). But this year I believe it is actually attainable. If BYU can get past Texas, then I believe that anything short of 12-0 is a disappointment, given the talent of the team, the manageable schedule, and everything that is on the line right now in CFB. This year the team needs to make a huge splash.
But, if they lose to Texas and then lose a couple more, that is somehow less disappointing?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Cougarbib wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:I'm already expecting 12-0 (like I do every August). But this year I believe it is actually attainable. If BYU can get past Texas, then I believe that anything short of 12-0 is a disappointment, given the talent of the team, the manageable schedule, and everything that is on the line right now in CFB. This year the team needs to make a huge splash.
But, if they lose to Texas and then lose a couple more, that is somehow less disappointing?

I don't follow. Do you mean, is 9-3 less disappointing than 11-1? that's a silly question. The more losses, the higher the level of disappointment. I thought that would be obvious.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote:Quick little mental exercise for all of you.

Here is the 2014 schedule:
@UCONN
@Texas
Houston
Virginia
USU
@UCF
UNR
@BSU
@MTSU
UNLV
SavSt
@Cal

Answer these four questions:

1) How many wins would it take for you to call the 2014 football season successful?

2) How many losses would it take for you to call the 2014 football season a disappointment?

3) Now, if the team starts 3-0, how many wins would it take to call the season successful?

4) Again, starting 3-0, how many losses would it take to call the season a disappointment?

1) 10 wins (one of them being a bowl win) is the bare minimum of acceptability. Anything less and the program has taken a giant step back. 2014 is not a strong schedule, and with a few losses we will be playing some AAC scrub team in our bowl.

2) 3 regular season losses would be a major disappointment. I expect us to win our bowl game no matter what unless we go undefeated and get a better bowl invite.

3) All of the rest of them, except going .500 against Boise and UCF.

4) 3 would still be my number. There are no 50/50 games on our 2014 schedule. BYU should be favored in every single game they play this year, with the possible exception of Cal, and UCF (depending on how their seasons play out).

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Y 4 Ever wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:

I don't follow. Do you mean, is 9-3 less disappointing than 11-1? that's a silly question. The more losses, the higher the level of disappointment. I thought that would be obvious.
In your post, you said, "if BYU can get past Texas, anything short of 12-0 will be disappointing.". So, if BYU can't get past Texas, will anything less than 12-0 be disappointing? And if yes, then what does getting past Texas have to do with it?

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BlueIsBetter wrote:

@UCONN
@Texas
Houston
Virginia
USU
@UCF
UNR
@BSU
@MTSU
UNLV
SavSt
@Cal

1) How many wins would it take for you to call the 2014 football season successful?

2) How many losses would it take for you to call the 2014 football season a disappointment?

3) Now, if the team starts 3-0, how many wins would it take to call the season successful?

4) Again, starting 3-0, how many losses would it take to call the season a disappointment?

1) 10 wins (one of them being a bowl win) is the bare minimum of acceptability. Anything less and the program has taken a giant step back. 2014 is not a strong schedule, and with a few losses we will be playing some AAC scrub team in our bowl.

2) 3 regular season losses would be a major disappointment. I expect us to win our bowl game no matter what unless we go undefeated and get a better bowl invite.

4) 3 would still be my number. There are no 50/50 games on our 2014 schedule. BYU should be favored in every single game they play this year, with the possible exception of Cal, and UCF (depending on how their seasons play out).
Cal? Really? BTW - several independent rankings have listed 2 to 5 of our opponents as ranked higher. There are at least 2 games where Las Vegas will have BYU as the dog and at least 5 where it will be a 7 point or less spread.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

This is what Steve Young said:

I think the expectations -- and Bronco’s expectations -- are to threaten the Top 10 every year or the Top 25 at least. That’s where we want to be. We have to have that kind of mindset because we are independent. There are big wins that need to come every fall and we have to develop the mindset that we can do that. My expectations personally are very high.”

Looks like Steve expects a 1 or 2 loss season as well. With 3 there's no chance we sniff the top 25 with this schedule.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Anything less than perfection will be a disappointment. ;)

10 wins will be a huge success in my book
4 losses will be a disappointment
At 3 - 0, I'd still peg 10 wins as success (it's a long season)
At 3 - 0, I'd still peg 4 losses as a disappointment

Now, what I expect us to do is 9 - 3.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BlueIsBetter wrote:

@UCONN
@Texas
Houston
Virginia
USU
@UCF
UNR
@BSU
@MTSU
UNLV
SavSt
@Cal

1. I don't this schedule is as easy as you think it will be. Winning 9 games is NOT a "giant step" backwards. I could see that argument made if they only won 7 games. We're going to be playing some scrub AAC team in the bowl regardless of our recrod.

2. How could three losses be a "major disappointment"? Texas is a top 25 team. UCF finished in the Top 10 last year. Boise is a perennial Top 25 team. All three of those games are on the road. And all three teams lost the last time they played BYU - two of them were soundly beaten by BYU (Texas & Boise) and the third lost to an awful BYU team who's QB had a PER less than 75 and completed fewer than 1/2 its passes. All three teams have likely circled BYU and will be be ready.

3. Can't argue with your third point.

4. We have plenty of 50/50 games. Houston returns a ton of starters, they played us extremely close last year. Could go either way. Texas could go either way. UCF could go either way. Boise could go either way. Your fourth point is way off base. You think that BYU will be favored on the road to Texas but possibly not be favored vs Cal? This whole point is full of non-factually based opinions.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:

@UCONN
@Texas
Houston
Virginia
USU
@UCF
UNR
@BSU
@MTSU
UNLV
SavSt
@Cal

1. I don't this schedule is as easy as you think it will be. Winning 9 games is NOT a "giant step" backwards. I could see that argument made if they only won 7 games. We're going to be playing some scrub AAC team in the bowl regardless of our recrod.

2. How could three losses be a "major disappointment"? Texas is a top 25 team. UCF finished in the Top 10 last year. Boise is a perennial Top 25 team. All three of those games are on the road. And all three teams lost the last time they played BYU - two of them were soundly beaten by BYU (Texas & Boise) and the third lost to an awful BYU team who's QB had a PER less than 75 and completed fewer than 1/2 its passes. All three teams have likely circled BYU and will be be ready.

3. Can't argue with your third point.

4. We have plenty of 50/50 games. Houston returns a ton of starters, they played us extremely close last year. Could go either way. Texas could go either way. UCF could go either way. Boise could go either way. Your fourth point is way off base. You think that BYU will be favored on the road to Texas but possibly not be favored vs Cal? This whole point is full of non-factually based opinions.
We'll see.

Texas is NOT a top 25 team. Sure, they are ranked in the pre-season, but that accounts for nothing on the field. Texas has dismissed a whole plenitude of starters and guys on the two deep from the team. I don't expect them to have their crap in order by week 1, 2, or 3. They will have it together later by the time we play them. New coach, new playbooks, and a lot of new faces. They can still beat BYU, sure, but we shouldn't have too much problem winning. I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas unranked by the end of the year. That game is ours to lose.

"UCF was a top 10 team last year." Key operating words in your sentence are *was* and *last year*. They were very good, but then their quarterback went ahead and got drafted #3 THIS year, and he won't be there.

Houston played us extremely close because we have Robert Anae as OC and he had an anemic offensive line. Both of those things *might* be better this year. THere was HUGE debate on the boards last year about how good Houston really was... I believe that Craig and I won that debate, with Houston losing 4 out of the next 7 games they played.

We'll see. I don't think our schedule is very good. It could be different.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BlueIsBetter wrote: Houston played us extremely close because we have Robert Anae as OC and he had an anemic offensive line. Both of those things *might* be better this year.
BYU scored 47 points on the road in Houston last year... I think that game was close due to our DEFENSE (which gave up 46), not our offense.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332920248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars