6:30 am Practices?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 6:30 am Practices?

Post by BYULV »

Elite athletes make a lot of sacrifices of time. College sports takes a lot of extra time. The players will have to decide what is really important to them during the season and if they really want to make the sacrifices to be better. There are lots of elite athletes that workout at 6am, even earlier (ie swimmers, runners, cyclers, triathletes). This only becomes an issue if the players decide it's not important enough to get to bed early 5 nights a week - they can still stay up late two nights a week (maybe one). Most of these guys got up early for years attending early morning seminary and/or missions.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

BYULV wrote:Elite athletes make a lot of sacrifices of time. College sports takes a lot of extra time. The players will have to decide what is really important to them during the season and if they really want to make the sacrifices to be better. There are lots of elite athletes that workout at 6am, even earlier (ie swimmers, runners, cyclers, triathletes). This only becomes an issue if the players decide it's not important enough to get to bed early 5 nights a week - they can still stay up late two nights a week (maybe one). Most of these guys got up early for years attending early morning seminary and/or missions.
They've been working out early in the military for...decades. Count me in as one who withholds judgment on it. Frankly, I considered this a reaction to the Northwestern union vote--wasn't the QB complaining about not being able to take the classes he wanted to take because of football practice? I think this is Bronco's way of putting his money where his mouth is and demonstrating that education is more of a priority by allowing the team more opportunity to get the classes they need. It should also help academically--at least I did better when I didn't have early morning classes. Hopefully the early practice does not adversely affect the team's execution.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

When I was a student I worked as a morning custodian at 4am-8am. I then went to class and fell asleep most of the time. My wife skipped her class because she went back home to sleep. Getting up that early is rough.

I hope the team does well but this could be a problem.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

They are also leaving a day early for the east coast road trip this time. It takes me longer than that to get over jet lag. They indicated that getting used to heat, humidity, jet lag, and rushed travel affected them in the opener last year.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

idk about the early morning stuff, but traveling one day earlier should help out.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

John Chaney made it to the HOF having practice start at 6am.

Granted, he was a basketball coach and never made it to a Final Four.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image