Rooting Guide Week 1

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Rooting Guide Week 1

Post by nuk13 »

The record doesn't stop me for pulling for USU. They're tied for my 2nd favorite team. My niece was a cheerleader there.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

mormonrasta wrote:
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:Out of all these games on who to root for, the one that has a special place in my heart is Utah State traveling to Tennessee. Tennessee is kind of a middle-of-the-pack team this year, and they just named their starting QB to go with their 1st year O coordinator . The Vols are also really young generally as a team. I think USU has a shot and Chuckie K should show those arrogant SEC fans what's up. I really want this one. Bad. Ohhhhh, I can't wait for the weekend! It's football time, baby!

Here's a good writeup on this matchup. The line is only +6.5 for Tennessee too, which shows some respect to USU. Cougar nation, you are invited to join me in being fellow Vol-haters for the weekend: http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/21 ... me-preview
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

I'd love to see USU win that game, but they are not going to.

Utah St. has lost 48 straight road games vs. major conference teams. They did tie TCU in 1981 when TCU was a member of the SWC. That tie snapped a 15 game losing streak. USU's last road win against a major conference team came in 1971 against Kansas St.

0-63-1 suggests history is not on their side.
This argument is stupid. None of those USU teams are involved in this game. Past performance does not guarantee future results. It's this year's USU vs. this year's Tennessee. The largest margin of victory of a major conference team over Utah State since Chuckie Keeton has been the quarterback is 4 points:

Code: Select all

2011 @   Auburn    L 42-38
2011 @   BYU       L 27-24
2012 vs. Utah      W 27-20 (OT)
2012 @   Wisconsin L 16-14
2012 @   BYU       L 6-3
2013 @   Utah      L 30-26
2013 @   USC       L 17-14
2013 vs. BYU       L 31-14 (lost Keeton early in game)
You say it'll never happen, I say it's only a matter of time, and my stats are more relevant.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Matty-B
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Matty-B »

Love this!
Are you gonna post one every week?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I will post it if BlueCat writes it. It gets better as the season moves along.

USU should have won a few of those Chuckie games. They are due to get one. I hope they win. By the way I am not watching P5 games unless there is a G5 or us in it.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

The USU/BYU relationship is so interesting to me. I know very few (if any) BYU fans that don't hope USU is successful while I know very few (the only one I can think of her dad played for BYU) USU fans/grads that want BYU to be successful.

I'm sure it is mostly due to them losing to us basically 19 out of 20 years but I don't know if USU fans realize that most BYU fans like USU. (If they do realize it it probably makes them hate us even more :P )

Anyways, go Aggies! Stick it to the SEC

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Tennessee has brought in some good recruiting classes lately. If they gel, USU could be in trouble. However, I don't believe they've been blown out in any game Chuckie has played.

Part B isn't as big for me, since I generally hate all Pac 12 teams equally. If Utah winning somehow helps BYU, I'm good with it. There is a difference between being good with it and rooting for it.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Cool replies, all. I'm feeling the love. Go Aggies!

Here's a well-written rundown of the game that predicts USU winning 34-28. Lots of respect toward USU. It's even from one of the University of Tennessee sports sites:http://www.wutksports.com/young-vols-fa ... ate-squad/

Fellow CC'ers, please join me in a moment of communal loathing. That east Tennessee area, wow, they just have that special brand of intolerant religious bigotry. Every time I visit home (I grew up in Nashville), I think to myself "Will someone ask me a crazy thing this visit?" Yep. Happens every time. It's like the closer you get to the Appalachian mountains, people are less informed and more intolerant. The Southern hospitality just doesn't even apply for many people there, unless of course, you share a homogeneous belief system with them.

I'm a UT hater for many other reasons too. Let's take Marsha Blackburn for example, one of the state's Congress reps. She's like a Sarah Palin 2.0 in all the worst ways. She was voted as one of "the most corrupt members of Congress" by the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) back in 2008, and those idiots keep electing her. Unopposed. One time she called my father a liar to his face. What a sweetie-pie (tic). This guy (TVRC) is to UT-Knoxville as Max Hall is to Utah.

Can I drop another bomb? They're playing this one on Sunday too, which is totally an evidence of UT's deal with the bald headed guy. (KaBooooom!)

All joking aside, I think USU has a great shot for a statement win and UT seems to be well aware. Pleeeeeeease pull it off!!!! Can't wait for Vandy to hand it to them this year. Again.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

And now ESPN is highlighting the soon-to-be upset of USU over Tennessee:http://insider.espn.go.com/college-foot ... e-football

Come on Aggies, make a statement loud and clear!!

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Wake Forest lost to LA-Laf last night. Vanderbilt lost to Temple. Maybe the ACC and SEC should just schedule P5 games so they don't have embarrassing losses like this. WSU also lost to Rutgers. BSU did not have a good opening to their season.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

scott715 wrote:Wake Forest lost to LA-Laf last night. Vanderbilt lost to Temple. Maybe the ACC and SEC should just schedule P5 games so they don't have embarrassing losses like this. WSU also lost to Rutgers. BSU did not have a good opening to their season.
I know that no one cares, but Wake Forest actually lost to Louisiana-MONROE last night. Louisiana-Lafayette is actually a front-runner to win the Sun Belt. LA-Monroe is not. Which makes the sting all the sweeter!

Temple's thrashing of Vanderbilt was also quite juicy.

In addition to a BYU blowout over UConn, I'm hoping that Colorado St. can take care of business over Colorado and that UNLV can somehow muster an upset over Arizona.

I would love for the Autonomy 5 to take it in the chin a few times this opening weekend.