Rooting Guide Week 1

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Rooting Guide Week 1

Post by scott715 »

CSU beat CU. Syracuse went double overtime vs Div II Villanova

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:And now ESPN is highlighting the soon-to-be upset of USU over Tennessee:http://insider.espn.go.com/college-foot ... e-football

Come on Aggies, make a statement loud and clear!!
After losses in their opener by just about every good team we play (UCF, Boise, Houston) that wasn't playing an FCS team (texas), we really need the Aggies to come through!

Tonight, we're all Aggies! (I could never, ever say that about Ewetah.)

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

0-64-1.

Not happy with the result, but a sure thing is a sure thing.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Boise St. Over #18 Ole Miss LOST
Houston over UTSA LOST
UNLV over Arizona LOST
UCF over Penn St. LOST
Virginia over #7 UCLA LOST
Nevada over Southern Utah WON
Cal over Northwestern WON
MTSU over Savannah St. WON/LOSS
Texas over North Texas WON
USU over Tennessee LOST

Not a good weekend for our SOS

Also Iowa St lost to NDSU

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

SOS is irrelevant. Even if BYU goes undefeated, it is not getting into playoff. Best BYU can hope for is a big bowl game and a magical, undefeated season, and a lot of great, enjoyable football with a special athlete.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougs_Rule wrote:SOS is irrelevant. Even if BYU goes undefeated, it is not getting into playoff. Best BYU can hope for is a big bowl game and a magical, undefeated season, and a lot of great, enjoyable football with a special athlete.
The only way this would not be true would be if SEC, ACC, Big, BIG, and PAC teams chew each other up. Not likely. OOC Deck is Stacked. So, I agree. Enjoy The Ride folks.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

USU-Tenn was awful. Vandy got smeared by Temple. Freakin Temple. BSU too. This was a terrible rooting weekend! And the "anchordown" penalty on Vandy. What silliness! Holy cow, them penalties were rainin all over the place!

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Please explain the Vandy penalty?

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

scott715 wrote:Please explain the Vandy penalty?
New rule says, other than service academies, a team cannot have any words on the jersey nameplate except last names. Vandy had their slogan "Anchor Down" on their jersey name plates (I wonder if their twitter universe and former players overreacted like teen girls at such a "terrible" idea). Anyhow, the officials said Vandy would lose a timeout, then Vandy said that they had permission from the NCAA rules something or other, but the officials didn't believe them. Then Vandy had someone print out the email they'd received from the NCAA rules something or other and bring it to show the officials, who then restored Vandy's timeout.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Here are my takeaways from week 1.

1) Virginia is much better than most have given credit. They might be one of our toughest opponents in 2014.

2) UCF is better than the last-second loss to Penn St. The second-string QB Holman should have started. I don't blame O'Leary for going with the "game manager" QB, because Holman was unproven. But, after 46 yards in the first half, enter QB Holman and 200 yards passing and 21 points in the second half. Had Holman started, UCF wins going away. They might still be BYU's toughest opponent.

3) California looks to be underrated. I'm not thinking they'll be ranked or anything, but they just might be fighting for bowl-eligibility in November. That makes the Bears a potential trap game.

4) Boise State must improve, but they're not a pushover. BYU will need to play well to win.

5) USU has a lot to prove. If BYU is a ranked team, the Cougars will win easily in Provo.

6) Too hard to tell with MTSU and Nevada because they beat lowly FCS competition. MTSU has athletes and could be a more difficult ROAD game than advertised. Nevada let SOUTHERN Utah stay in the game. Should be a an easy win.

7) UNLV should be an easy win. If not, we are not good.

#8 - Houston - I am really surprised at how poorly Houston played. I think UTSA is better than advertised - they have 39 seniors and had 7 wins in 2013. Also, Houston was breaking in a new stadium and had the biggest crowd in their history (over 40K). Could have been tight with too high expectations. So, I think Houston is better than the perceived UTSA loss. However, we should win by at least two touchdowns at home.

9) Texas will be a tough matchup this week. BYU will have to substantially cut down on penalties, because we will need to score 30+ to win. And, the defense will need to play better and stop the run, get to the QB often, and prevent the big play.