Do we actually know how good our DB's are?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Do we actually know how good our DB's are?

Post by mizzoucoug »

I have seen some highlights of JJ from 2012 and he made some nice plays, but is he really a shutdown corner? And then there's TT, Davis, Preator, and Daniel. Do we have any idea how good these guys really are?

It sounded like there were quite a few picks in camp, but do we really have "the best DB's in the history of BYU?" Or is this hype talk? I'll concede we're already better since Povey isn't starting...

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Do we actually know how good our DB's are?

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Are they better than 96? I doubt it. Are they the best in close to a generation? Likely.

They don't have to be spectacular, just better to allow varied coverages and blitz packages.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

We do not know how good other than knowing that they will be improved Vs 2013.

I am excited to see just how good they are.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

mizzoucoug wrote: I'll concede we're already better since Povey isn't starting...
This alone makes me unspeakably happy. No offense agin Skye, I'm sure he could take me in an arm-wrestling match, but the poor dude got abused over and over. It seemed like half or more of the deep catches by opponents was on PoVey's watch.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

No; I don't think we know how good our DBs are. But they seem to be adequate. They don't need to be world beaters; they just need to be able to do their job. That job wasn't getting done too often the last few years (ND, UW, Texas (I have no idea why their OC didn't throw the deep ball more; it was open all night long!!), OSU)

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

CrimsonCoug wrote:No; I don't think we know how good our DBs are. But they seem to be adequate. They don't need to be world beaters; they just need to be able to do their job. That job wasn't getting done too often the last few years (ND, UW, Texas (I have no idea why their OC didn't throw the deep ball more; it was open all night long!!), OSU)
I think the psychological pounding delivered by #3 and BYU defense had something to do the no long throws against UT.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

If they can line up two yards closer to the line of scrimmage, that's a huge improvement in my book.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
crh55
Freshman

Post by crh55 »

I was asking myself the same question about JJ. Remember how badly we were abused by Oregon St. During the "black out" game by backup Cody Vaz? It feels like there is always one game where they get completely lit up.

However I'm convinced there is more size, athleticism, and depth at this position than we've seen in a long time. I'm confused about why Harvey Jackson isn't on the 2-deep as well as TT. Those guys seem like they would have started easily not too long ago.

ESPN the NEW Home of BYU Live Sports
https://twitter.com/cougarback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

All things considered, I'm optimistic our defensive backs will shut down the pass. We've got some quality playmakers there. I think we'll see more interceptions this year. I'm just kind of waiting for Craig Bills or Jordan Johnson to completely light somebody up. Those two seem especially insane. And then when you add RDan and Trent Trammell, I think we've got that part of the D covered. Have to say, RDan has stepped up pretty freakin well when he was called on. And, Trent Trammell I'm sure is simply bloodthirsty after sitting out and rehabbing. Harvey Jackson and Kai Nacua are legit too. We've got some depth here, woot! woot! I think we definitely have an upgrade that allows for better one-on-one coverage and allow some crazy blitzes. I can't wait to see some defensive plays where Bronson and Fua are set loose and our D-Backs maintain the shutdown coverage, no prob.

It's game week baby! Shut em down, D-backs! I'm getting pumped to watch that defense hold and for TFLs and INTs against UConn. Look out, Huskieeeeees!!!! These guys have that quick shiftiness that I lost somewhere in my 20's, or let's just face it, never had.

My biggest question is how Dallin Leavitt starting at Kat Safety will do. I hope he has that Daniel Sorensen brand of "crazy athletic freak" to accompany Craig Bills at the other safety slot.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image[/quote]

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Are they better than 96? I doubt it. Are they the best in close to a generation? Likely.

They don't have to be spectacular, just better to allow varied coverages and blitz packages.
96 is close to 'a generation?'" Wow, breeding them young down there in OKIE? ;-)