BYU Needs an LES Upgrade....Badly.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU Needs an LES Upgrade....Badly.

Post by snoscythe »

If nothing else, just for the revitalization of the fans and especially the donors. Just watch this video to see how Baylor has parlayed it's last 4-5 year run into a sweet stadium:

[youtube]RZgicN69FkY[/youtube]

Here's hoping BYU can put together a run like that and do the same.

The bacon-wrapped onion rings they'll be selling on game day is just icing on the cake.

BroncoBot
Retired

Re: BYU Needs an LES Upgrade....Badly.

Post by BroncoBot »

As long as the upgrade involves keeping REAL grass, I'm all for it.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Even the stadium at Rice University is getting upgraded. And they SUCK.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

BYU needs to sell out LES right now, every year. crap home games is not an excuse. BYU will never upgrade the stadium until it sells out every game for a few years.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

frdbtr wrote:BYU needs to sell out LES right now, every year. crap home games is not an excuse. BYU will never upgrade the stadium until it sells out every game for a few years.
Crap home games are a great excuse especially with the price increase two years ago. (This coming from a guy who was there to the bitterly cold end with about 10,000 of my closest friends when we played a late November home game with something like an 8 o'clock start 2 years ago against a horrible team) Yes I'm a cheap Mormon but the BYU BOT tells me to be a cheap Mormon.

A few simple (and free) changes could make going to the games much more attractive. I've accepted the situation that we went independent and our home schedule will have bad games. I think it's worth it compared to being in the MWC. A few more replays (free to LES), score updates (free to LES), letting me bring water when it's 95 degrees plus (not free to LES but not that expensive) and boring half time shows compared to what they did in the 90's (free to LES) isn't helping.

I can stay home, watch it on my big screen while drinking a an ice cold drink, mow my lawn at half time, and have the game take 2 hours instead of 8 on my Saturday. They need to make it more attractive to go to the game.

With that said I've been a season ticket holder for 25 years because I think fans should go to the game.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I can guarantee you that the BOT will never approve stadium expansion when the current stadium is not selling out. It is basic laws of supply and demand.

If my work schedule didn't make it impossible to go to the games on Saturday I would have season tickets this year even with the crap home games.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

frdbtr wrote:I can guarantee you that the BOT will never approve stadium expansion when the current stadium is not selling out. It is basic laws of supply and demand.

If my work schedule didn't make it impossible to go to the games on Saturday I would have season tickets this year even with the crap home games.
I agree and they shouldn't approve it. But if BYU wants it to happen they need to increase demand and there's some easy ways they could do it (at least to some degree) if they are interested. I'm guessing it continues to get smaller (more chair seats) before it ever gets bigger. It's really to bad. If we had the corners filled in it would be awesome.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yep, BYU & LES don't need expansion. They need upgrades from concessions to facilities to seating to amenities.

We don't need more seats. We need fewer seats with more room for spectators.

We need better wireless access.

Make the game experience better at the stadium and people will be willing to pay more to go.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Stir
Even with the price increase, BYU football tickets are a bargain. Most family friendly environment in the country.

Sadly, schools that allow a pre-game drunk fest in the parking lot before the game get better fan support. BOT will not be allowing that, so BYU fans need to buck up.

I have been renewing season tickets since TY Detmer even though I have lived everywhere but Utah during that time frame.

See ya Saturday. Ten hour drive for me. I will probably hang around 10 days and save a trip as BYU hopefully kills 2 birds with that 1 stone.

If fans want an elite team and special seasons, BYU needs a special and elite fanbase.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Cougarbib wrote:Stir
Even with the price increase, BYU football tickets are a bargain. Most family friendly environment in the country.

Sadly, schools that allow a pre-game drunk fest in the parking lot before the game get better fan support. BOT will not be allowing that, so BYU fans need to buck up.

I have been renewing season tickets since TY Detmer even though I have lived everywhere but Utah during that time frame.

See ya Saturday. Ten hour drive for me. I will probably hang around 10 days and save a trip as BYU hopefully kills 2 birds with that 1 stone.

If fans want an elite team and special seasons, BYU needs a special and elite fanbase.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Have to agree with Bib. Yes, its unfortunate that BYU thinks they can just get away with less than the latest and greatest and that they have to keep appearances managed about moderation--but thats just what it is. Moderate accomodations and which are better than the majority of stadiums (at least 60% anyway) of all mid majors and above. You been to Wash? What a dive!!! ND wasnt exactly the Taj Mahal.
I love to complain as much as any, but to pull off the shelf a comparison to Baylor--whose making at least 15mm or more ( i dont even know exact) is just fantasy. BYU has a lot of things going for it and ticket prices arent horrible--(and i even get gouged for east stands--so quit your griping about ticket prices).
They could do better food at little to no cost. dont know why they havent done that yet. And they certainly arent getting hosed on costs with ym and yw groups doing fundraising.
BUt end of day, NO CREDIBLE or accountable business would spend money to do major upgrade, close in corners, etc. It makes no sense at all.
THe history of BYU stadium has had all the horrible decision making it can stand for a century. You want to compain about something and create change that make a difference, terminate the insufferably, incompetent deal that was struck for pennies on todays dollar of granting two generations ticket rights for the meager contributions to help off-set costs of constructing the dang place. What a hobble that has been to the stadium and revenues for this modern era.