Spring/Summer/Fall Hopes = Disappointed

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Spring/Summer/Fall Hopes = Disappointed

Post by snoscythe »

I was excited all Spring, Summer and Fall Camp that BYU would have marked upgrades at WR and the corners (although I hold nothing against what Skye Povey was trying to do last year on one good foot).

Fast-forward to the season opener, and Mitch Mathews is still starting at WR with only one true new guy in the rotation at WR, and we are starting a redshirt freshman and a kid who was playing receiver last year as our corners.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Granted this should only be a one-week detour, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

I have to say the corner situation has me concerned though-->by all appearances, the outside passing game looks to be UConn's biggest strength on O, and we are short our top-3 corners this game (Johnson, Trammel, and Daniel). This may give UConn an opening to score a good bit more points than most anyone is thinking going into this.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Spring/Summer/Fall Hopes = Disappointed

Post by Gunk »

Why would you expect something different from the normal MO? That's your problem. We'll always lack speedy WRs and corners. The speedy ones go elsewhere.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Gunk wrote:Why would you expect something different from the normal MO? That's your problem. We'll always lack speedy WRs and corners. The speedy ones go elsewhere.
This year we have them, they're just all sitting on a couch in Provo tonight, one for injury (Kurtz), the rest for boneheaded behavior.

Stirfry
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Stirfry »

snoscythe wrote:
Gunk wrote:Why would you expect something different from the normal MO? That's your problem. We'll always lack speedy WRs and corners. The speedy ones go elsewhere.
This year we have them, they're just all sitting on a couch in Provo tonight
Let's hope so...

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Povey is starting. Probably healthier. More experienced. Safety will be OK. We did not have JJ and TT last year. It will be serviceable enough for week 1. Anae and the offense need to carry the defense and special teams.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.