Week 1 updated UT thread.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Week 1 updated UT thread.

Post by Hookem »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:Okay, let's face it. I saw enough in the (34-10) UConn win to convince me that we can compete for reals in UT-Austin. Hookem and others shall know of my untold passion/insanity for this game. This just got real.

I know that the obligatory 24 hour celebration time has not yet eclipsed as of this posting, but let's face it.

With the week 2 players that we get back (5-6 my last count) from suspension/team rules whatever, with enough of the offense and defense clicking already like this at week 1 (okay, special teams does need work) I think we can pull off, what I consider at least, an upset in UT-Austin in week 2. BAM.
You're a glass is half full kind of guy, my friend. I like it.

You may very well be right in you're assessment.

Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

mizzoucoug wrote: Are you going to the game Hookem?
Yep, I'll be there. May be a little late, but I'll be there.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

The biggest difference this year is that it seems that we have found a legitimate center even if he is a true freshman. Inexperience will show at times, but he is the right size and the right mentality. We have not had a legitimate center since sometime before 2010 iirc. Undersized guys. Guys playing out of position. That has been how it has been.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Cougarbib wrote:The biggest difference this year is that it seems that we have found a legitimate center even if he is a true freshman. Inexperience will show at times, but he is the right size and the right mentality. We have not had a legitimate center since sometime before 2010 iirc. Undersized guys. Guys playing out of position. That has been how it has been.

Re-watch the Houk TD and you can see the backup center, I assume it was Alletto, get completely abused. That's why Taysom was forced out of the pocket. I tried to watch Tejan carefully and he always seemed to hold his man up well.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Did Tejan get any pancakes? I didn't see any.
We were missing 5 starters. Texas was missing 2. Both were weak opponents. We'll know a lot more after the game next week for both teams.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

My 3 biggest worries.

1. Special teams. If UTs D is strong and mad and motivated, which they sound like they are, they will slow down BYU. If our STs dont improve, UT will beat BYU. And as for kick-offs, 3rd string Mickleson, the longest kicker, isn't even on the team anymore--I heard on KSL Saturday.

2. BTW, I honestly believe their game plan is to take out Taysom. That's all Strong seems to talk about. They will surely spy him. If our Oline can hold up and our RBs pick up blitzes, and THill can see the field and not hold onto the ball too long, BYU will do well. I'm hoping that Trey Dye was being saved for the UT game. He is super fast and could be a secret weapon. I was really surprized he didn't see action until the end of the game.

3. Our Dline vs UTs really good RBs. If BYU can't slow down the run! it will be a long game. And Fua and Kaufusi will have to hold back on blitzing the qb and help contain the run. But it all comes down to the middle of the D. I'm not sure Marques Johnson really adds much more than what we saw at UCONN. I hope so.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Texas beat North Texas 38-7 to start this season. 354 yards for, 94 yards against. North Texas actually won 9 games last last.

Of course, Texas beat NMSU 56-7 to start last season. 715 yards for, 346 against.

Texas lost to BYU last year 21-40. 445 yards for, 679 against.

Texas's strength was offense last year and their weakness was defense. BYU was the opposite.

Texas' strength this year appears to be their defense, and for BYU it appears to me to be the opposite. So the script has totally flipped.

The main thing in my opinion is that BYU had the advantage at QB last year, and BYU has the advantage at QB this year. QB is the most important position on a team. And so BYU still has the advantage in my opinion in this game.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote:
Texas beat North Texas 38-7 to start this season. 354 yards for, 94 yards against. North Texas actually won 9 games last last.

Of course, Texas beat NMSU 56-7 to start last season. 715 yards for, 346 against.

Texas lost to BYU last year 21-40. 445 yards for, 679 against.

Texas's strength was offense last year and their weakness was defense. BYU was the opposite.

Texas' strength this year appears to be their defense, and for BYU it appears to me to be the opposite. So the script has totally flipped.

The main thing in my opinion is that BYU had the advantage at QB last year, and BYU has the advantage at QB this year. QB is the most important position on a team. And so BYU still has the advantage in my opinion in this game.
BYU's defense is better than what they showed against UCONN and frankly, all the hand wringing about the defense against UCONN is confusing to me since we only gave up like 75 yards rushing. I don't think our strength this year is all offense, the Defense is going to show itself as being pretty good. Howell now has a live game call under his belt and is only going to get better. Having a bunch of defensive starters out for the game didn't help either.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

frdbtr wrote: BYU's defense is better than what they showed against UCONN and frankly, all the hand wringing about the defense against UCONN is confusing to me since we only gave up like 75 yards rushing. I don't think our strength this year is all offense, the Defense is going to show itself as being pretty good. Howell now has a live game call under his belt and is only going to get better. Having a bunch of defensive starters out for the game didn't help either.
I haven't exactly been wringing my hands over the defense. Getting JJ and Daniel back will help, and probably Marques Johnson. The main problem is still the starters that we will NEVER get back (Kyle VanNoy, Uani Unga, Daniel Sorensen, Spencer Hadley, Eathyn Manumaleuna). It's almost impossible not to take a step down after losing all of that talent.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

The offense will not look as good against Texas as it did last week Vs UCONN or last year Vs Texas. I expect to hear the usual complaint - BYU Offense is not as good Vs a good defense - duh. If the offense has another penalty fest, we will get killed. If we turn it over twice - we lose. Last year, Texas could have ignored the pass. Not sure why they did not. This year, the passing is a legitimate threat. BYU will move the chains - probably struggle in the red zone. I hope the field goal attempts are all short and straight.

The BYU defense will be weaker up front than last year, but the backfield will be stronger. The Texas offense is probably not any better. They will move the chains. They will score some points. I do not expect them to man handle BYU, however.

Turnovers, Penalties, and Special Teams will be the difference in this game. Thus - home field advantage and our ST weaknesses give this game to Texas.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.