Week 1 updated UT thread.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Week 1 updated UT thread.

Post by scott715 »

Texas' C broke his ankle and is out.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote:
frdbtr wrote: BYU's defense is better than what they showed against UCONN and frankly, all the hand wringing about the defense against UCONN is confusing to me since we only gave up like 75 yards rushing. I don't think our strength this year is all offense, the Defense is going to show itself as being pretty good. Howell now has a live game call under his belt and is only going to get better. Having a bunch of defensive starters out for the game didn't help either.
I haven't exactly been wringing my hands over the defense. Getting JJ and Daniel back will help, and probably Marques Johnson. The main problem is still the starters that we will NEVER get back (Kyle VanNoy, Uani Unga, Daniel Sorensen, Spencer Hadley, Eathyn Manumaleuna). It's almost impossible not to take a step down after losing all of that talent.
So what happens if over the course of the season, they end up better than they were last year? I guess we will see. I think with better CB's the front 7 will look better than they did last year and that is what we have this year. Last year we were trying to hide our corners all season because we only had 1 guy back there that could cover. Povey was always trying to do more than his assignment last year, especially against Houston and that is why their offense worked us. He seemed to always be a step late in the passing game in this game too which is why I want him benched. Hopefully we can keep our secondary from being suspended for the rest of the year and keep him off the field.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Hookem wrote:
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:Okay, let's face it. I saw enough in the (34-10) UConn win to convince me that we can compete for reals in UT-Austin. Hookem and others shall know of my untold passion/insanity for this game. This just got real.

I know that the obligatory 24 hour celebration time has not yet eclipsed as of this posting, but let's face it.

With the week 2 players that we get back (5-6 my last count) from suspension/team rules whatever, with enough of the offense and defense clicking already like this at week 1 (okay, special teams does need work) I think we can pull off, what I consider at least, an upset in UT-Austin in week 2. BAM.
You're a glass is half full kind of guy, my friend. I like it.

You may very well be right in you're assessment.
And you, Texas fan, are a gentleman of the first order. Please know this, (and I speak for many BYU fans), I am still quite terrified about our week 2. Optimistic, but terrified.

May all enjoy sweet witness whilst gazing upon the field of competition this Saturday. And, may to the insaneyoust of us fans go the spoils!!! Oh let slip the dogs of war!!! Swift mercy upon thy fallen foe!!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

I love these assessments, I love the swing that this game has. Quietly going insane over here.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Texas will definitely spy TH. What I liked about last game was the remergence of the RBs as dual threats. Last year, we did not have that. UT will need to be careful spying Hill too much. Quick dump to a wide open RB in the flats could burn UT if they are cheating too much on Hill.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote:Texas will definitely spy TH. What I liked about last game was the remergence of the RBs as dual threats. Last year, we did not have that. UT will need to be careful spying Hill too much. Quick dump to a wide open RB in the flats could burn UT if they are cheating too much on Hill.

I agree, spying Hill won't work if we have other playmakers he can distribute the ball too. Hopefully Jswag and Blackmon and the others will be ready to make plays. I also think our defense needs to improve this week and we need to not get flagged 15 times.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Cougs_Rule wrote:My 3 biggest worries.

2. BTW, I honestly believe their game plan is to take out Taysom. That's all Strong seems to talk about. They will surely spy him. If our Oline can hold up and our RBs pick up blitzes, and THill can see the field and not hold onto the ball too long, BYU will do well. I'm hoping that Trey Dye was being saved for the UT game. He is super fast and could be a secret weapon. I was really surprized he didn't see action until the end of the game.
This is my single biggest concern--that they will literally take Taysom out. I don't think they're going to intentionally play dirty, but I do think they're going to try to put a coupla good solid revenge-fueled licks on him as payback to the guy who made them all look so bush league last year. Judging from all of the press coming out of Austin, vindication is not too far from vindictiveness.

I really hope Stewart is paying attention in film this week.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

frdbtr wrote:
Mars wrote:
frdbtr wrote: BYU's defense is better than what they showed against UCONN and frankly, all the hand wringing about the defense against UCONN is confusing to me since we only gave up like 75 yards rushing. I don't think our strength this year is all offense, the Defense is going to show itself as being pretty good. Howell now has a live game call under his belt and is only going to get better. Having a bunch of defensive starters out for the game didn't help either.
I haven't exactly been wringing my hands over the defense. Getting JJ and Daniel back will help, and probably Marques Johnson. The main problem is still the starters that we will NEVER get back (Kyle VanNoy, Uani Unga, Daniel Sorensen, Spencer Hadley, Eathyn Manumaleuna). It's almost impossible not to take a step down after losing all of that talent.
So what happens if over the course of the season, they end up better than they were last year? I guess we will see. I think with better CB's the front 7 will look better than they did last year and that is what we have this year. Last year we were trying to hide our corners all season because we only had 1 guy back there that could cover. Povey was always trying to do more than his assignment last year, especially against Houston and that is why their offense worked us. He seemed to always be a step late in the passing game in this game too which is why I want him benched. Hopefully we can keep our secondary from being suspended for the rest of the year and keep him off the field.
PoVey played on an injured foot last year. Our defensive backs were not the main reason that game was so close in Houston either. Last year was last year. This year started Friday.

Go to the PoVey poll thread where I challenged you especially and others to tell us what plays you think PoVey was beat on in that game. You are simply wrong. UCONN threw to 12 receivers. Was PoVey covering all of them? Only one big play was given up by the passing D all night - about 35 yards to inside the 10. Davis. Not PoVey. PoVey was key to the next series that held them out of the end zone.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

If the unconfirmed report that the Texas Center is out is true -

And if the backup center plays as poorly as he did finishing the game Saturday - I am at risk of getting a little more optimistic about this game.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

I would probably do the same in their spot. Stopping Taysom is big. Getting some kind of highlight hit or sack or something would be important. But I think we have a legit o-line this year that will keep it to a minimum. Tejan, De'Ondre, and Ului are the real deal. Got to protect Taysom! Give him enough time to make reads and throws, do your thing for run block, minimize penalties. But no matter what, Texas will bring the pressure.

Huge importance for O-line play to be stellar this week. OMG.

To BYU! Texan linebackers are going to pin their ears back. Got to protect that pass, baby. Ohhhhh man. We all know, that Texas, at some point will bring the freakin house. And I will scream like a girl, wherever I am. I mean, Do you want 5-10 blitzing Texan defenders running at you, assigned to tackle YOU? I sure as hell don't. Will we have an answer for this? I think/hope so. O-line, we have got to give our all on this one. Texas' line will be legit! We have got to hold that line! Aaaaaa!!! Starts with you Tejan, got to have clean snaps, because you know that stadium will be making some noise!!!! Cougars in Austin--I love this gaaaame!!