My game take-aways

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My game take-aways

Post by BYULV »

EM_Puma wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Bronco said in the post game on KSL that he did that because Hine is a good return man and he was confident that he could get more yards if they had them kick it again. Obviously it was a bad call. Lasike got the ball on the kick off and then the penalty. I'm sure Bronco won't make that call again. Sometimes you make an aggressive call and it goes against you and this was the case. I was irritated by it when it happens but you have to give props for being aggressive and giving your guys the chance to make a play.
It had been so standard since the NCAA had changed the penalty for the receiving team to take the ball on the 35 that I hadn't even realized that it was not automatic. I had never imagined or seen a team not take that excellent gift that I was dumbfounded. It's just fortunate when you can have boneheaded plays and they not take the game away, so whatever, but I'm still shaking my head on that one.
Not really that bone headed of a call. The kicking team does move further back to kick off the second time. If we were averaging 25 yds per return (I think that was last years avg) then we likely end our return around the 35-40 on an avg return, maybe a lot further with some good blocking. Bronco simply failed to take into account the refs, who this game were apparently trying to impress their mothers who were in the stands.