Skye PoVey Poll

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Should PoVey Ever See The Field Again?

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 46

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Skye PoVey Poll

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Wolverine wrote:
DeVon wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote: whats the poll up to these days? Oh, 42-0. would you like some whip cream with that pie?
Thought I'd throw a "No" vote in there, just so the poll looks authentic.

I think PoVey plays a roll as a safety or nickel back, but I don't love his corner play.

I really don't like this kind of a poll anyway. For the most part, I trust that Bronco has the right personnel on the field at the right times and I don't really like to question the worth of a student athlete.
Man if you just jinxed an undefeated season it will be your neck on the line with the next poll ;) Povey was throwing a perfect game. Let it be :)
Nice! Lol

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

15m
Jay Drew @drewjay
Howell said the P.I. that PoVey had was not his fault, wasn't his guy. Said PoVey grabbed passing WR, probably should have tackled him.

Dang PoVey. Out of position again. Worthless. Shouldnt be on the field. :roll:

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougs_Rule wrote:15m
Jay Drew @drewjay
Howell said the P.I. that PoVey had was not his fault, wasn't his guy. Said PoVey grabbed passing WR, probably should have tackled him.

Dang PoVey. Out of position again. Worthless. Shouldn't be on the field. :roll:
No kidding. I wonder if fans ever look at box scores defensive statistics or track PI penalties for all players instead of just for the scapegoats. Craig O was calling for less PoVey in another thread and more of the inexperienced more athletic guys that were making mistakes and getting beat all over the field. The coaches know what they are doing. They do not get all emo when they make out the line-up. I heard they chart practices and analyze game film.

Some fans seem to have the same romanticized, star struck view of our athletic and hyped corners and safeties and wide receivers that they had about Heaps and Apo. Has to be someone's fault these guys are not on the field tearing it up. Stupid coaches letting gritty little white guts with no upside keep them off the field.

then we hear that our Nebraska transfer was out of shape and had not learned the system. Ditto Blackmon on the playbook.

These guys probably will improve. Meanwhile, I noticed PoVey out there showing a couple of them where to line up when they lined up wrong.

And as you pointed out above, the uninformed fan. Sees a safety in a zone defense running over late to pick up and clean up a blown assignment by a corner or linebacker and blames the guy cleaning up the mess.

PoVey is far from perfect. He was announced as 2nd string ssfety. He seems to have earned himself more PT. If we keep running a lot of nickel packages, we will have him out there quite a bit.

Vs UVA, he was third in tackles and 2nd in unassisted tackles. On the season, he has to be in the top 4 or 5 even though he d I'd not play as much Vs Texas.

looked it up. Tied for 3rd with Alani Fua on the season defensive leaders list right behind Stout and Bills.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

Cougarbib wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:15m
Jay Drew @drewjay

Dang PoVey. Out of position again. Worthless. Shouldn't be on the field. :roll:
No kidding. I wonder if fans ever look at box scores defensive statistics or track PI penalties for all players instead of just for the scapegoats. Craig O was calling for less PoVey in another thread and more of the inexperienced more athletic guys that were making mistakes and getting beat all over the field. The coaches know what they are doing. They do not get all emo when they make out the line-up. I heard they chart practices and analyze game film.

Some fans seem to have the same romanticized, star struck view of our athletic and hyped corners and safeties and wide receivers that they had about Heaps and Apo. Has to be someone's fault these guys are not on the field tearing it up. Stupid coaches letting gritty little white guts with no upside keep them off the field.

then we hear that our Nebraska transfer was out of shape and had not learned the system. Ditto Blackmon on the playbook.

These guys probably will improve. Meanwhile, I noticed PoVey out there showing a couple of them where to line up when they lined up wrong.

And as you pointed out above, the uninformed fan. Sees a safety in a zone defense running over late to pick up and clean up a blown assignment by a corner or linebacker and blames the guy cleaning up the mess.

PoVey is far from perfect. He was announced as 2nd string ssfety. He seems to have earned himself more PT. If we keep running a lot of nickel packages, we will have him out there quite a bit.

Vs UVA, he was third in tackles and 2nd in unassisted tackles. On the season, he has to be in the top 4 or 5 even though he d I'd not play as much Vs Texas.

looked it up. Tied for 3rd with Alani Fua on the season defensive leaders list right behind Stout and Bills.

I was calling for more Harvey Jackson against USU... because we win no matter who's out there and the guy has a higher ceiling. He needs a chance to start a game to prove it. I'm not a Povey hater, but I am realistic about his limitations. Go back and read your thread.

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

craigoscarson wrote:Povey is a safe option against a mediocre team... He is not an ideal option against top 40 competition... we play some mediocre teams and we play some top 40 competition... Harvey Jackson might not be ready or safe to play against Texas... but he is that caliber of player...

Now onto the subject of the poll.... it's a stupid question. Polls and rhetorical questions should not be mixed... of course he should play "ever" ... he just shouldn't play a ton

Now, should I go do something useful with my time OR continue with this thread? (poll results to follow)
and there we have it

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

craigoscarson wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:Povey is a safe option against a mediocre team... He is not an ideal option against top 40 competition... we play some mediocre teams and we play some top 40 competition... Harvey Jackson might not be ready or safe to play against Texas... but he is that caliber of player...

Now onto the subject of the poll.... it's a stupid question. Polls and rhetorical questions should not be mixed... of course he should play "ever" ... he just shouldn't play a ton

Now, should I go do something useful with my time OR continue with this thread? (poll results to follow)
and there we have it
I am sure that when Harvey gets used to the work ethic. Gets in shape do he is no longer getting winded. And learns the play book and system - all quotes from Jackson and coaches - he will get more chances to show his stuff. Hopefully he is good enough to earn more PT here than he was getting at Nebraska. PT is why he left Nebraska. Maybe they expected hard work and position sound play as well. When you pander to hype without making players earn it, you get the entitled culture that Texas is trying to fix. Jackson is starting to get reps. If our lock down athletic DBs quit getting beat so often underneath, maybe we can get up big on a team, and give Harvey, Preator, and others the last 20 minutes.

When the other guys show results and consistency. I will be just fine to see our 3rd leading tackler who is not the one getting beat consistently on passing start to see less PT. Conversely. Until Jackson earns it. I am happy to see him play about as much as he played at Nebraska.

We have a lot of transfer players. Two from Stanford, for example. One has won a starter job. One has not seen the field much. One from lowly UTEP, may be the 2nd best transfer. Blackmon. Not scary fast but very BYU fast. Now if he can stay out of trouble, and learn the system - he will get more chances.

Your post you just requoted, sounds like you do not think PoVey can play VA top 40ish offenses. Not sure who we play that you think he cannot hold his own against. He is doing fine so far and based on PT, his stock seems to be rising.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.