Skye PoVey Poll

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Should PoVey Ever See The Field Again?

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 46

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Skye PoVey Poll

Post by Cougarbib »

PoVey gets bashed a lot. Someone called for him to never again see the field after the UCONN game. Someone else called him weak. I think he is in danger of becoming the next fan punching bag.

I have no dog in this hunt. I do not know him. Not related. No mutual friends.

I do know he tied for the team lead in tackles with 10. He was 2nd in unassisted tackles. Right up their with Stout. He had a sack of 5 yards. Yes. UCONN caught some passes. They caught them on all of our backs. Our receivers caught passes too. That is how it works. He did not cause an interception to get called back like Leavitt.

Should he ever see the field again? You know - if someone else gets injured or suspended.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Re: Skye PoVey Poll

Post by Cougs_Rule »

YES!
Folks need to lay off PoVey. Criticize the coaches choice, but not PoVey. I don't know him either. But he is a safety being asked to play DB. He just isn't a good DB--not his fault. Yes, he gets picked on--last year and last night. But, He leaves it all out there on the field. Harvey Jackson came in more of the second half to help--he has the speed, but not always the scheme and not Broncos trust.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Agreed.
I think we have a great team this year, and yes, there's plenty to work on and more depth would always be wonderful, but when he was called on, Skye did his job and filled in just fine. He was not great, and I wish I had a more glowing review--but when called on, Skye did his job.

There is this, where Povey has a sack, but Alani has a personal foul penalty that negates it (this was the fishing reel gesture which I thought was kind of funny):http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11434132

Worriers will worry, haters will hate, but I'm kind of a Skye Povey fan. Here's why. I like Skye not for anything special, but because he's like a behind the scenes type, works his tail off, and although he does not have that same talent level as a few others in the defensive backfield--he did his job as best as possible. When we have JJ, TrentT, and RDan back, I think we will perhaps see a little less of Skye. He can spell the secondary, and he can step in if needed. (And I'll just leave it on that optimistic note, and am well aware of the counterarguments).

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Good poll. I thought I was going to be the only one voting yes. Some of the haters had been very vocal.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

PoVey is serviceable. Not the greatest, and gets picked on a lot (by opponents as well as fans) but he does a decent job. I think some of us have short memories.

Screamineagle
Freshman

Post by Screamineagle »

Yes the kid does not give up.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I don't get the hate. Maybe I wasn't watching close enough...

PoVey > Heaps

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

His run defense was solid as was his corner blitz. He is a liability in coverage no doubt, but he knows what he's doing. He's just limited.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Our defensive backfield was a patchwork quilt, but it held up quite well. Fans are illogical much of the time. We expect our receivers to get separation and YAC vans rack up 300 yards every game but expect opponent receivers to never be open. Unrealistic.

I was pleased that that beast of a receiver UCONN had did not man handle our DBs like we always expected Hoff to do. I also did not see any of their guys getting wide open behind our backs and then out racing them to the endzone.

If you have been a BYU fan as long as I have been one, you have seen this too many times in the past.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

He's ok at safety. I hope he doesn't have to play corner this year.