Skye PoVey Poll

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Should PoVey Ever See The Field Again?

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 46

FurriousCougar
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Skye PoVey Poll

Post by FurriousCougar »

The one thing I'll add is that he was in one of my classes last winter semester - only had about 20 people, so I'd often even sit next to him, and I gotta say - dude is tiny. Even for a safety, he is really really small. So it's almost surprising to me that his run stop ability is okay, but that his coverage is weak. I'd expect the opposite.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

FurriousCougar wrote:The one thing I'll add is that he was in one of my classes last winter semester - only had about 20 people, so I'd often even sit next to him, and I gotta say - dude is tiny. Even for a safety, he is really really small. So it's almost surprising to me that his run stop ability is okay, but that his coverage is weak. I'd expect the opposite.
He's a hitter with heart and a sound mind and Broncos trust. Doesn't mean he has good hips or speed. He's a smaller Daniel Sorenson.

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
FurriousCougar wrote:The one thing I'll add is that he was in one of my classes last winter semester - only had about 20 people, so I'd often even sit next to him, and I gotta say - dude is tiny. Even for a safety, he is really really small. So it's almost surprising to me that his run stop ability is okay, but that his coverage is weak. I'd expect the opposite.
He's a hitter with heart and a sound mind and Broncos trust. Doesn't mean he has good hips or speed. He's a smaller Daniel Sorenson.
Smaller, slower and less talented DSorenson. Sure, Skye tries hard. Heck, so would I. That doesn't mean I should get significant game time.

This poll is terrible, simply terrible, because it follows the hyperbole of a terrible post. He's a Sr; I want him to get significant minutes against Savannah State. But if you ask if he should START again (and I realize he didn't start this one, but he started a good share last year), I think the poll might look differently. I would be quite satisfied if we didn't see much of him in the other games, because that would mean that those who are more talented and currently behind him are improving their knowledge of the schemes.

I trust the coaches--though sometimes there's a hint of nepotism.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

CrimsonCoug wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Smaller, slower and less talented DSorenson. Sure, Skye tries hard. Heck, so would I. That doesn't mean I should get significant game time.
But you WOULD get significant playing time if you were the best available option for a coach for a given game.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

CrimsonCoug wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:

This poll is terrible, simply terrible, because it follows the hyperbole of a terrible post. He's a Sr; I want him to get significant minutes against Savannah State. But if you ask if he should START again (and I realize he didn't start this one, but he started a good share last year), I think the poll might look differently. I would be quite satisfied if we didn't see much of him in the other games, because that would mean that those who are more talented and currently behind him are improving their knowledge of the schemes.

Yes, this poll, might be slightly useless and based on a minority of myopic haters, like you, but to suggest nepotism is silly. Did you mean racism? Who is PoVey related to?? He tied for leading tackler, apparently he's as pathetic as you suggest. All of us wish we had better players at the majority of positions.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Well, Skye just happens to be the brother-in-law of our Defensive Coordinator who was formerly his position coach with the secondary. Now I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin.

And if this poll were "based on a minority of myopic haters, like [me]" then I wouldn't have voted Yes.

His strength is his understanding of the schemes, which is why he gets as many tackles as he does. And I'm not diminishing that--10 tackles in a game is a big deal! I'm glad we had him available: He's reliable and not getting himself suspended. Skye's the poster boy for Anae's news trope: Will over skill. That's cool; will is critical. And again, I trust the coaches...though again that close relationship with his boss could raise an eyebrow.

I just wish we had some better options in coverage. It's just seemed to me that more than half the time there's a gain that goes for more than 15-20 yards, it's on his watch. I do agree with the earlier coverage that he'd make a better safety than a corner.

Look, I'm not hating on Skye. I don't know the guy. I just dislike seeing him get abused like Balam's ass in pass coverage.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

BroncoBot wrote:
CrimsonCoug wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
But you WOULD get significant playing time if you were the best available option for a coach for a given game.
Heaven help that poor coach!! :~( :lol:

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

CrimsonCoug wrote:Well, Skye just happens to be the brother-in-law of our Defensive Coordinator who was formerly his position coach with the secondary. Now I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin.

And if this poll were "based on a minority of myopic haters, like [me]" then I wouldn't have voted Yes.

His strength is his understanding of the schemes, which is why he gets as many tackles as he does. And I'm not diminishing that--10 tackles in a game is a big deal! I'm glad we had him available: He's reliable and not getting himself suspended. Skye's the poster boy for Anae's news trope: Will over skill. That's cool; will is critical. And again, I trust the coaches...though again that close relationship with his boss could raise an eyebrow.

I just wish we had some better options in coverage. It's just seemed to me that more than half the time there's a gain that goes for more than 15-20 yards, it's on his watch. I do agree with the earlier coverage that he'd make a better safety than a corner.

Look, I'm not hating on Skye. I don't know the guy. I just dislike seeing him get abused like Balam's ass in pass coverage.
Fair points. Didn't know he was somewhat related. It was brutal watching him get abused last year. We will need speed v UT.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Sky Povey is the type of player that BYU has to scheme for and not in a good way. When he is out there they have to call defenses that hide him and compensate for him. He needs to not see the field, hopefully we can keep our more talented guys from missing games due to suspension and keep him on the bench.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

CrimsonCoug wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:

You could always put up a poll more to your liking. Not sure who you think should have started instead of PoVey keeping in mind the bad boys of summer were not there. If the starters return and meet expectations, and stay healthy, and out of trouble, nobody will be calling for PoVey to start. Those are big ifs. I am sure glad he was on the field in the opener. He kept the game in front of him just as he has been instructed to do. Did not get suckered in on play action. Made sure tackles.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.