Skye PoVey Poll

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Should PoVey Ever See The Field Again?

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 46

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Skye PoVey Poll

Post by Cougarbib »

frdbtr wrote:Sky Povey is the type of player that BYU has to scheme for and not in a good way. When he is out there they have to call defenses that hide him and compensate for him. He needs to not see the field, hopefully we can keep our more talented guys from missing games due to suspension and keep him on the bench.
you mean like when they have him corner blitz and he gets a key sack or TFL?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I think mizzoucoug's usage of 'limited' is about right. But hey, sometimes you just never know in college sports. Would be awesome if he had something crazy happen at UT, be some highlight where everyone's like "uh, where did that come from? Go Skye"

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

Povey is a safe option against a mediocre team... He is not an ideal option against top 40 competition... we play some mediocre teams and we play some top 40 competition... Harvey Jackson might not be ready or safe to play against Texas... but he is that caliber of player...

Now onto the subject of the poll.... it's a stupid question. Polls and rhetorical questions should not be mixed... of course he should play "ever" ... he just shouldn't play a ton

Now, should I go do something useful with my time OR continue with this thread? (poll results to follow)

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Cougarbib wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Sky Povey is the type of player that BYU has to scheme for and not in a good way. When he is out there they have to call defenses that hide him and compensate for him. He needs to not see the field, hopefully we can keep our more talented guys from missing games due to suspension and keep him on the bench.

So, would you rather send Robertson Daniel or Sky povey? Answer honest now.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

craigoscarson wrote:Povey is a safe option against a mediocre team... He is not an ideal option against top 40 competition... we play some mediocre teams and we play some top 40 competition... Harvey Jackson might not be ready or safe to play against Texas... but he is that caliber of player...

Now onto the subject of the poll.... it's a stupid question. Polls and rhetorical questions should not be mixed... of course he should play "ever" ... he just shouldn't play a ton

Now, should I go do something useful with my time OR continue with this thread? (poll results to follow)
According to coaches, Harvey, things did not quite work out for me at Nebraska, was out of shape and not used to the work ethic at BYU. He was getting winded in practices. But he has a lot of upside if he starts working harder.

And Harvey is a safety. PoVey was in at corner filling in which seems to have gotten some haters worked up.

Sorry you think it is a waste of time, but every time posters start posting absurdly unfair comments about a player like "he should never see the field again", I am going to call them out.

BTW, I agree with your assessment of PoVey. That was the entire point of this thread. He has a valuable role to play on this team until other players get off suspension, stay healthy, or get in shape and learn their jobs as the case may be. He was not in this game because of any nepotism.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

frdbtr wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:

So, would you rather send Robertson Daniel or Sky povey? Answer honest now.
Go watch the replay. At this time, I would go ahead and send the guy the coaches sent. The one that got the sack and a TFL. Next week we may have different options if Rob has gotten out of the dog house and stays healthy. And if the starters have a helmet pop off and have to go out or get tired or sprain an ankle, I am glad we have PoVey.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BTW
I watched the game. I watched the replay.

Now I am watching the replay again focused entirely on PoVey. I am almost to halftime. He has not been abused yet.

Post time and quarter of every time one of you think he was abused and I will go take a look.

On Bills interception the corner route was open, but overthrown. Only problem is it was the opposite side of the field from PoVey. Maybe some of you are bagging on the wrong player.

BYU threw for over 300 yards. Receivers get open. Some UCONN receivers got open too - on lots of different defenders.

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

Cougarbib wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:Povey is a safe option against a mediocre team... He is not an ideal option against top 40 competition... we play some mediocre teams and we play some top 40 competition... Harvey Jackson might not be ready or safe to play against Texas... but he is that caliber of player...

According to coaches, Harvey, things did not quite work out for me at Nebraska, was out of shape and not used to the work ethic at BYU. He was getting winded in practices. But he has a lot of upside if he starts working harder.

And Harvey is a safety. PoVey was in at corner filling in which seems to have gotten some haters worked up.

Sorry you think it is a waste of time, but every time posters start posting absurdly unfair comments about a player like "he should never see the field again", I am going to call them out.

BTW, I agree with your assessment of PoVey. That was the entire point of this thread. He has a valuable role to play on this team until other players get off suspension, stay healthy, or get in shape and learn their jobs as the case may be. He was not in this game because of any nepotism.

Povey played the safety spot more than the corner in that game. And two wrongs don't make a right... the "he should never see the field again" comment is as absurd as this thread.

Harvey Jackson started at Nebraska... nuff said. He might have some warts, but he's a better option against Texas than Povey. I'll gamble with a wildcard to win a big game that we're not favored in with a guy like Jackson than Povey (though people will remind you that Povey played against Texas last year...) Skye is not a world beater, but he gives us depth and options. I want world beaters against Texas at their place, I want world beaters at Boise and at UCF..... I would be sick to my stomach to see Michael Davis, Jordan Preator, and Povery start next week with Daniel, Jackson, and Johnson on the sidelines.... I'm concerned that Texas is going to find a way to run all over us and we need run stoppers that can also cover, not just guys that are fundamentally sound.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

JJ and Rob have long ago been named starters. Jackson has been named winded, out of shape, and not used to working hard. And for the sake of fairness, how many games did he start for Nebraska, under what circumstances, and why was it clear that he would not be the starter in 2014 had he stayed.

I am not down on the guy. I will just be happy to let the coaches decide when he is in shape and assignment sound.

BTW, go watch the replay and count downs. I did not count because I had not seen this post, but I would bet he played more downs at corner in this game although the 2nd half may have been about even.

I agree that we should play the best athletes if they are fundamentally sound. But I do not care how athletic a guy is if he is not assignment ready. Bite on one play action pass and it is 7 points and a huge momentum shift.

JJ and Rob were assignment ready a long time ago. Jackson was finally coming along the last week of camp. Maybe he will get a shot soon.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Yep. That's about right. And let's face it, and on an optimistic note all things considered, kid's going to have/already has some cool Div I football highlights. That's badA.