UConn Grades

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

UConn Grades

Post by byufan4ever »

How would you grade each position/unit for the UConn game? By mid-week I'll sum up everyone's responses and give the average. Here's mine:

QB: A- Flawless first half, ok second half, but I love the 300/100 yard split he got between passing/running. I think that's a great balance. No INTs, lots of TDs.

RB: C They were ok but didn't get any big plays. For the most part they did well catching the ball. A easy dropped pass (with 1st down + potential) and a fumble hurts. JW obviously has no fear of losing his starting spot.

WR: B+ Great effort by Houk for the TD. Bad penalty by Matthews. Expected a little more from Leslie. Excited to see what the rest of the group can do.

OL: B+ Run blocking wasn't great, but the pass protection was. Hill had ALL DAY to throw. Maybe their many penalties shown knock them down to a B but I am thrilled by the pass protection.

DL: A- I thought this unit constantly got pressure on the UConn QBs and RBs as well.

LB: B+ They did their job but I didn't see anything super stellar (well, forced fumble was pretty key I guess so I'll bump them up to B+). Kafusi was ok, but I think he'll get better.

DB: A- Those two CBs aren't the regular starters? Wow. I think these guys can keep the Int/game streak going all season!!

Special Teams: D This unit has the potential to lose us a game (or two!) this season. Snapping, holding, FG kicking, kickoff distance, coverage, penalties. Sheesh!

OC: B+ 35 points in week 1 is more than just about anybody expected! 3rd quarter (and most of 2nd half) was a let down, but overall I'm happy. Anae needs to learn how to make 2nd half adjustments to the opposing DC's adjustments.

DC: A- UConn isn't a mighty offense, but I thought our guys looked good and aggressive and in position.

You can just list grades if you want, but I'm interested to get a general feel for how everyone grades how each unit performed.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: UConn Grades

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

The O-line was awesome this game. Yes, plenty of penalties (lookin at you, Brock Stringham). Overall, huge game and big improvements from last year. Tejan is the real deal. De'Ondre Wesley is a beast. Yes, feelin good about our o-line.

Main item besides penalties and the ever-present need for better run blocking: got to get more push, rugby style, for those short yardage situations. Minor point though. These guys gave Taysom all freakin day in the pocket. I like having a comfortable qb who has time to make the reads, and deliver the completions. Bring the same to Austin!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I'm excited with Tayson's PER Score. He looked like a BYU QB.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Not sure you can give DBs a B. The safeties did play well with the INT and a lot of tackles. One of their WRs is supposedly an all-conference athlete. BYU was lucky that their WRs dropped about 5 easy and mid range passes. It hurt their O quite a bit and would have lowered this grade. again, PoVey did what he does best, tackle. He is not a speedy cover guy, but he knows his assignments. It almost seemed like OP graded DBs on the curve. We will need much better v UT.

STs I would almost have to give an F. It was totally unacceptable what they produced. I have no idea why this hasn't been addressed by Bronco. If we can't kick it past the 10 yard line, may as well do either one of two things: kick it out of bounds every time so we know it doesn't get returned past the 35. Or get Taysom out there and see if he still has it. :-)

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Another thing I noticed about the WRs is the blocking they provided. They were very aggressive, which I haven't seen for a while.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

QB: A+
OL: A-
WR: B+
RB: C+
FB: C+
TE: D+

DL: B-
MLB: B
OLB: B-
CB: C+
S: B-

ST: D-

OC: A

DC: B-

HC: B+

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

scott715 wrote:I'm excited with Tayson's PER Score. He looked like a BYU QB.
One area for improvement:
1st Half PER: 211.90
2nd Half PER: 113.84

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Dline was a C- for me; they did not get any push... This could prove to be the biggest problem we have against good teams this year.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

QB: A / I don't think a 177 per can grade as anything less than an A.

RB: C / No grading on a curve here. The running backs were average at best.

OL: B+ / QB protection was fantastic. Hill had more time to throw than any college QB should. Run blocking was adequate.

WR: B- / A solid performance should have rated this group a solid B, maybe even a B+ but unsportsmanlike penalty as well as a fumble lost drops them.

TE: C- / Teetered on this one from anywhere from C- to W, but Mahina did have a good catch and run, so I'll be extra generous.

DL: B / Saw some good things for a group that still has to gel. I liked the penetration I was seeing at the nose tackle position, as well as the ends ability to get past the tackles, but it is still a work in progress.

LB: B / Pretty much ditto as the DL - saw some good things, but it still needs to "come together."

DB: B / Solid game for a group missing 2 potential starters. I think they'll be a solid group when everyone is back and playing

Special Teams: F / Not good enough in any aspect.

OC: A- / Good play calling. Good game plan.

DC: B+ / Good blitz packages for the most part, hid our weaknesses very well

HC: A- / Can't think of any clock issues or mismanaged timeouts.

The one area where we did not compete at all on the national level was ball boy. We have red lightning and blue thunder out there, where is BYU's answer?