Injuries hitting Texas

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Injuries hitting Texas

Post by mizzoucoug »

Hookem wrote:Tyrone Swoopes highlights for '13. As you'll see he's not elusive or a burner like Hill. He's big, covers a lot of ground with long strides and hard to bring down. Has a cannon for an arm but extremely inconsistent.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jerrod Heard Senior Highlights. I personally think he's the future of our team, but wanted him to redshirt. Unless Swoopes surprises I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the starter by the end of the season. I can see them running the option with him and slowly implement the passing game as the season progresses.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
His highlights look decent enough. Who knows?

But even with Ash, I'd be surprised if we lost. Now even more so. BYU by 14.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Hookem wrote:Bib, I just saw the comment by Strong making the Hill comparison. Oh brother...

As I always say - I don't make this stuff up. ;)

But he did say "If he ever gets to the edge" not "when". He does sound like the kind of guy who is more likely to run over people than run past them. I had also read that the true freshman was something special. Maybe he will make a surprise appearance Saturday - Texas style QB2.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Hookem, thanks for the video highlights. Are you horriblizing this kid? Because I could see this read option game with your good RBs as working just fine. BYUs D is good, but untested, and in my opinion vulnerable in the middle of the Dline. I suppose it depends on how fast the UT OC can install an option offense? But it looks like this kid already knows a fair amount. BUt maybe that was last years coaches and scheme? And it will be tough to get it installed this week?
I cant imagine this qb being more problematic than BYUs special teams.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Hookem wrote: Was just told that Ash had a seizure after the game Saturday night. I feel so bad for that kid. To say he's a great kid is an understatement. He needs to hang it up if he wants any kind of a normal life.
Hookem - I had not read or heard about the seizure. That's serious. No doubt he is getting great care. I think you're right, it's time for Ash and his family to make long term decisions about his health. No doubt his medical team will give him good advise. It's a difficult choice for a young athlete - hang it up or keep playing and risk severe health consequences. My best wishes for him and his recovery.

As for the game on Sat. It never ceases to amaze me how top teams (such as Texas) can go into their depth chart and perform better than expected. I expect a hotly contested game with athletes from both teams stepping up and making it an exciting game.

I hope the Cougs can pull off a win. But, I'd give Texas a 7 pt. edge because of defense and home field advantage.
Last edited by Ddawg on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

....and BYUs crappy, not so Special Teams.

Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Hookem, thanks for the video highlights. Are you horriblizing this kid? Because I could see this read option game with your good RBs as working just fine. BYUs D is good, but untested, and in my opinion vulnerable in the middle of the Dline. I suppose it depends on how fast the UT OC can install an option offense? But it looks like this kid already knows a fair amount. BUt maybe that was last years coaches and scheme? And it will be tough to get it installed this week?
I cant imagine this qb being more problematic than BYUs special teams.
Not trying to. I was a little upset because of Ash, for reasons others than just the game, and I think it showed. I've been traveling the past two days, and get this news. I allowed my fatigue and emotions to get the better of me I'm afraid.

When Swoopes came in, I had high hopes for him. He was however a project that probably needed a good three years in the same system. We all knew that beforehand. However, he didn't have a good spring or summer. In fact, I believe Heard pushed Swoopes and looked better than Swoopes most of the summer 7 on 7's.

However, he apparently held Heard off in fall camp. That's what I've been told. He didn't look good in the spring game.

I think Heard would be better in at the option than Swoopes. I could be wrong. I hope I am.
Last edited by Hookem on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

Ddawg wrote:
Hookem wrote: Was just told that Ash had a seizure after the game Saturday night. I feel so bad for that kid. To say he's a great kid is an understatement. He needs to hang it up if he wants any kind of a normal life.
Hookem - I had not read or heard about the seizure. That's serious. No doubt he is getting great care. I think you're right, it's time for Ash and his family to make long term decisions about his health. No doubt his medical team will give him good advise. It's a difficult choice for a young athlete - hang it up or keep playing and risk severe health consequences. My best wishes for him and his recovery.

As for the game on Sat. It never ceases to amaze me how top teams (such as Texas) can go into their depth chart and perform better than expected. I expect a hotly contested game with athletes from both teams stepping up and making it an exciting game.

I hope the Cougs can pull off a win. But, I'd give Texas a 7 pt. edge because of defense and home field advantage.
Yeah Ash suffered his concussion in the first quarter and wouldn't tell the coaches. He did this last year as well. He cheated a concussion test and played the K-State game and suffered another one. He's susceptible to them now. He needs to hang it up.

Apparently, the coaches figured something was up during the game because he was making mistakes that he seldom makes. He kept telling them he was fine but wasn't, and then I guess after the game he suffered the seizure. In the PC Strong said he got a call late Saturday night. That's what he got the call about.

The QB recruiting the last few years has been a disaster. Long story, but basically it was a Mack thing (I'm not saying that just because either). We haven't had a truly serviceable/ talented/ game ready back up since the early 2000's. It was only a matter of time before it caught up to us. Just so happened that the 'Bama game was when it decided to happen.

Off the top of my head, we've only had three scholarship QB's on campus at the same time once in the last decade maybe longer.

Swoopes was a project and Heard is a true frosh. They could completely surprise me. I sure hope so, if we have any chance, not only on Saturday, but for the season.

Like Cougs_Rules stated, the option to me seems to be the most viable plan.

OC Watson has run the option before with Taylor Martinez at NU his frosh year. So who knows.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Schmoe wrote:
Hookem wrote:Game over...

Do you think so? I know that this has got to have Longhorn nation feeling mighty down, but I still see a dogfight coming this Saturday.
Yep. Still terrified here. Texas is one of those teams that has talent and depth. The QB change will influence the game, but yes, am still expecting a close one.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Sorry for the double post.

I probably mentioned it elsewhere, but a brother of mine had a similar thing during a HS scrimmage, near Chattanooga, TN. Came off the field, 3 and out style, had a seizure on the sideline, and turned out to be a subdural hematoma. He made it, but barely. This is that scary area of football that you just don't mess with. I (and I'm sure I speak for a lot of Cougar fans) wish the best to David Ash. Get well, young man! There is much more to life besides Saturday's game. Follow the doctor's counsel. OMG, don't hide it or try to play with this.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Swoopes has a bizarre throwing motion.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,