Taysom One of Bleacher Reports Top Performers

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom One of Bleacher Reports Top Performers

Post by NDCougar »

Wow, I think we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves. We beat UConn and he did not look really sharp throwing the ball.

I will play the devil's advocate (or really any non-BYU fan)......you reference Tebow, Johnny Football and Newton; but what signature wins would TH have heading into December. All 2 of 3 won the NC, all had big wins vs top team (Manziel vs Bama was huge). BYU is playing Texas and I really believe there is no excuse to lose to UT, given UT could struggle scoring and we have a proven QB/leader we should win. The rest of the games we should be favored in......yet we don't play any top 25 teams.

I love TH, but he is not "there" yet. He is solid and a very good running QB, but a top 15 school would shut him down given the tools around him. TH would need a signature win, unfortunately he does not have one on the schedule. BYU will not be given the benefit of the doubt, he would need to do this in 2014 and then have a signature win in 2015 with comparable numbers.

Personally BYU looked as expected Friday against a horrible UConn team. I am not overly excited yet, we have room for improvement. Unfortunately we will not know how good we can be as we don't play anyone, even undefeated I worry our bowl fate is sealed.......I am WAY ahead of myself here.

Ungoy
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Ungoy »

NDCougar, did you watch the same game that I did? Taysom looked extremely sharp throwing the ball, both short and long. The only time during the game where we he looked less that spectacular was on the first and goal series in the second half where the 2 passes to the endzone failed, and we missed the field goal.

In the first half especially, he was 17-20 and two of those passes were throw-aways. I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out how you can say he wasn't sharp throwing the ball.

NDCougar
Sophomore

Post by NDCougar »

Ungoy wrote:NDCougar, did you watch the same game that I did? Taysom looked extremely sharp throwing the ball, both short and long. The only time during the game where we he looked less that spectacular was on the first and goal series in the second half where the 2 passes to the endzone failed, and we missed the field goal.

In the first half especially, he was 17-20 and two of those passes were throw-aways. I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out how you can say he wasn't sharp throwing the ball.
I did not watch the game, I was there in person. I have not seen the replay yet.

He does not look fluid in motion wise and the ball is not usually hitting WRs where it should be in stride. He is more of Tim Tebow vs a true throwing QB. I like him and think he is a solid QB my post was not meant to knock him, but he is not the next great BYU QB and IMHO is not a Heisman caliber QB and is only hurt by schedule and team around him.

My point was let's not anoint him as the next great QB after he beat UConn, there are probably 25+ QB's that would have lit up UConn. He is solid and very good but gets balls that sail too much or he skips a pass, especially when playing good team. He does not appear to have made a lot of improvement on the throwing game. A good defense could contain his running and force him to pass, he would likely be toast.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

ND

Although it is way to early to coronate Hill, or predict an undefeated season, BYU and Hill did not merely perform as expected. Did you predict a 35 point outing or a 25 point spread? Most fans did not. I predicted 33-9 or something like that. The offense even slightly exceeded my expectation even though several posters have noticed that I was more optimistic than normal heading into this season.

The spread was 16.5. A recent CC Poll indicated that most fans did not expect BYU to cover it and comments expressed concern that the offense would put up many points.

The offense overcame 150 yards in penalties and poor field position handed to them by special teams issues and still put up 35 points.

Other than that, I agree that a thrashing of UCONN does not prove much of national significance.

Sure would have been fun to see those cowardly Irish come to Provo this season and try to keep the commitments they made to get us to trip to South Bend twice.

I lump the Irish right in there with The Utah Chickens. Would be nice to be playing Utah and ND instead of Sav St and MTSU.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

NdCougar ssid, "I did not watch the game, I was there in person. I have not seen the replay yet. My point was "He does not appear to have made a lot of improvement on the throwing game.

Really. He just got his highest completion percentage ever and highest full game PER ever on the road in a season opener.

While I agree that he will not rack up those numbers Vs good defenses, neither did Max Hall.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
NDCougar
Sophomore

Post by NDCougar »

Not saying TH's numbers were not impressive, they were. I did think BYU should win by more than the spread as UConn is horrid, I did not expect TH to have the completion percentage and expect UConn to play tougher on defense. TH does not look crisp and is IMHO very similar to last year, which is a very good QB but not a Heisman type QB.

Ha, regarding the "cowardly Irish". Not sure it is they are afraid as much aligning with the ACC changed things. College football is business, ND asked to push the games back and Holmoe obliged; he wanted to keep a good relationship vs holding ND to the original deal.....so he adjusted. Trust me I would love to see ND in Provo, I love the game and for personal reasons it is great. TH would be able to score on ND this year.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Cougarbib wrote:ND

Although it is way to early to coronate Hill, or predict an undefeated season, BYU and Hill did not merely perform as expected. Did you predict a 35 point outing or a 25 point spread? Most fans did not. I predicted 33-9 or something like that. The offense even slightly exceeded my expectation even though several posters have noticed that I was more optimistic than normal heading into this season.

The spread was 16.5. A recent CC Poll indicated that most fans did not expect BYU to cover it and comments expressed concern that the offense would put up many points.

The offense overcame 150 yards in penalties and poor field position handed to them by special teams issues and still put up 35 points.

Other than that, I agree that a thrashing of UCONN does not prove much of national significance.

Sure would have been fun to see those cowardly Irish come to Provo this season and try to keep the commitments they made to get us to trip to South Bend twice.

I lump the Irish right in there with The Utah Chickens. Would be nice to be playing Utah and ND instead of Sav St and MTSU.

Actually Bib you predicted 34-10. See if you can't get it right next time ;) I had it 31-13. NDCougar, you need to join in on the football predictions. It only takes a few minutes to do and you can set a default prediction if you don't have a few minutes each week (or sometimes forget like me). Kind of a fun feature of this board. Go Cougars!

NDCougar
Sophomore

Post by NDCougar »

Wolverine wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:ND

Actually Bib you predicted 34-10. See if you can't get it right next time ;) I had it 31-13. NDCougar, you need to join in on the football predictions. It only takes a few minutes to do and you can set a default prediction if you don't have a few minutes each week (or sometimes forget like me). Kind of a fun feature of this board. Go Cougars!
Silly question......how do I input my prediction?

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

I think you should be able to click on the football prediction link at the top of the page and go from there. It was so long ago that I did it Initially that I'm not 100 percent sure. Good luck.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Predictions:
http://www.cougarcorner.com/game_predic ... ?sportid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under each game yet to be played next to your name is a --. Click on that and enter your predictions, at the end, I suggest saving default predictions, in case you forget to update for an opponent one week, at least you'll have something in there. You can adjust and make changes for each opponent.