On Paper Texas Wins

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: On Paper Texas Wins

Post by Mars »

EM_Puma wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:On paper Texas is a mess. Mass suspensions, injuries to key, experienced players, new coaching staff. On paper this is a game that BYU honestly should win.
Yeah, and that's why Vegas has Texas favored...
Just like last year.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Screamineagle
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Screamineagle »

24-21 BYU its going to be a dogfight.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

texas= rookie QB, depleted Oline = potential disaster for Texas.

Bronco will give the kid a ton of looks and send blitzers from all different directions. His head will be spinning.

BYU has to contain and send those single blitzers that can open field tackle and we win handily unless we turn over the ball a ton on offense.

Texas has to believe they can win this game on athleticism... but BYU has enough athleticism that scheme will be the difference and scheming against a depleted Oline and rookie QB should not be difficult. BYU's D should be licking their chops.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Wolverine wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:I am still shocked by the pessimism in our fanbase. Haven't we gotten past the luster of "this is TX so we shouldn't win!" yet? Last year we had a weak secondary and a QB who had little accuracy.

They have Vince Young 2.0 (TIC) playing his very first game on Saturday. They have only 2 regulars on the O-line available. Their RB's are great, but since when can't BYU shut down a one-dimensional running attack? Our secondary is light years better than at the last meeting. We have our 3 best D-linemen back for this game so we'll be stout there most likely. Taysom is becoming a leader and a true dual threat beast. This all bodes well for us more than for them. Oh yeah, and now we have more than 1 receiver too (although nobody at UT knows this).

If we're allowed to credit UT's D vs N Texas then we're allowed to give credence to BYU's depleted offense's performance vs UConn. Taysom looked great. The Oline was excellent in pass protection--even though their blitz protection wasn't tested. And the receivers made big plays and got YAC. Plus we have RB's catching the ball again after 5 years!

IF, IF, IF Swooney all of a sudden becomes a juggernaut in his first start then we will have some issues. But I just don't see it happening. If TX truly wants to make this a run the ball and play tough D kind of game it's not going to work against us. They won't score and we'll eat them alive.

BYU by 14 at least.
I love your optimism Mizzou. I too have the Cougs by 14. I do believe your comment about being "shocked" by the pessimism of BYU fans to be TIC. Pessimism is an inherent trait found in every loyal and true blue BYU fan. Exhibit 1 are the following comments of a certain CC member from the recent past ;) :

"I said yes. I have A LOT of doubts, but I have this weird feeling that we are going to show up and click. Can't wait! We all want this, but the odds are against it. Had I been to some practices to watch Leslie, Blackmon, Dye and all the new guys play I might have a different opinion. Did we pick up..."

"So it sounds like the offense will continue to be pedestrian again this season. Check. My expectations have officially been adjusted"
Sure, I was guarded before the season started. Heck, there's still a chance Bronco achieves his 1-2 start benchmark this season, which is why I said what I did. But again, after one game, Taysom looks legit. And everything else looked better (not necessarily great) than last year--except for the kicking game.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

redneckjedi wrote:I don't think our offense is going to have an easy time of it at all. Texas held UNT - an FBS school - to 94 total yards for a game. They also held them to 3-17 passing for 15 yards and 4 picks, one of which was a pick 6. Replace UNT with any FBS school, it doesn't matter - that's complete domination in every way imaginable, and it's impressive.

I'd be happy to eat my words on this, and I'm normally as blue-goggled as they come, but people expecting 30+ from us are on something a little stronger than I am. ;) It could be that one TD is enough to win this for either team.

While our special teams were bad as a whole, the punt team did their job. 3 punts, 43 yard average, -1 yards on returns, with field position of own 29, own 10, and own 20 for UConn resulting from those punts. The punt team will be busier this week, and if they can keep Texas starting in far third of the field, that may well be the key to victory.
It is impressive. But the first time Taysom runs for a TD (and he will) UT and its fans will fall into a coma.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

27-10 BYU.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Great comments and thoughtful analysis by all.

My bottom line. Texas is quite good, we play in their big house, and they are thirsty for revenge. Charlie Strong will make it a game.

Biggest concern: I think the Texas run will be hard to stop, and if we don't stop it, it will keep a weary BYU D on the field for longer, which puts a strain on the GFGH offense. Guessing Texas will scheme to have those clock-chewing, grind-em-out, wear them down types of drives all game, which will keep their O on the field, and have a low-scoring game. If Texas wins, I think that's how they do it.

Nick Howell, time to make that BYU D shine on national tv against a quality opponent! Get ready, boys, there will be a brawl in Austin! Bring on Saturday, baby! Got to control that ball, got to hold that line, and nothing over the top! Can't give a stadium full of screaming Longhorns any big plays! Rise up! Key to this one is our D has to play their nastiest, hold Texas back, get off the field, and give Taysom, Jamaal, Tejan, Ului, De'Ondre, Devon, Mitch, Jordan, and the whole crew that ball. I do think we need every chance possible to make some points. Make it happen!!!! Gooooo Cougars!!!!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

If our oline holds up with just five in pass plays then i think we will win. if we have to use a running back to help block then it will be the taysom running show again and I am not sure if we will score enough points that way. strong will have his players playing assignment sound. their defense is better than it was last year.

if our five olineman are giving taysom time then taysoms numbers will be good enough passing that we should win. him having the running back leaking every time instead of having to help block is what i think made the differnec ein his performance at uconn and last year.

also an upgrade in receiver speed will help as well.

it will come down to our oline again.

i feel like our offense will have to win the game. i may be wrong but our defense seems slower and less physical to me than years past.

i think if texas wins it will be because our front seven couldn't stop the run. if we win it will be because our offense was able to pass and run effectively.

i am expecting like a 28 to 27 type of game.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I would not be surprised to see corner blitzes in run support. Also press coverage. I expect they will have a hard time throwing deep. Their QB will see alot of different looks. He will not beat us with his arm.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Johnny, good thoughts. My biggest concern for this team, after the very obvious Special teams, and specifically Kick-off team, is the Dline. I hope MArques makes a difference. He should, if only as Peck said, another substitute to keep them fresh (and Taele back also).

Otherwise, I think you really see the twin towers shine. BYU effectively has spies on both sides who can contain the QB and support contain with the RBs. If the Dline and MLBs can contain the middle (and I like that we are two and three deep strong at both MLBs (w/ Langi back)--and I don't think BYU will shut down those talented RBs--but I am confident in Fua and Kaufusi to be difference makers on the D side of the ball. Our D will do at least as well if not better than texas's D vs a fairly well oiled and speedier than ever BYU O.
It's why this game comes down to turnovers and special teams. Take out those two factors and "ON PAPER" Texas coaches have to be worried with their suspensions and injuries and shake up to their O scheme.