Opponents Win %

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Opponents Win %

Post by byufan4ever »

What if BYU goes undefeated but NONE of our opponents have a win % above .500 at the end of the season?? Will we be top 15? We will get a Jan bowl?

What do we know about our opponents after week 1 and their chances of being better than .500 at the end of the season?

UConn: 0-1 Easy schedule but they're bad so not likely
Texas: 1-0 Win against North Texas means nothing. Tough schedule so there's a good chance they won't get to .500
Houston: 0-1 Easy schedule but they got creamed by UTSA. They could turn things around, but they could also be in for a real long season.
Virginia: 0-1 They played #7 UCLA tough and only face two more ranked teams so maybe they get to 6 wins?
Utah St.: 0-1 Got creamed by Tennessee. But they play in the MWC so they could still get to 7 or 8 wins.
UCF: 0-1 Lost a close one to Penn St. They play Missouri then have a fairly easy schedule. They could still get 6 or so wins.
Nevada: 1-0 Whooped up on Southern Utah. Yippee. They play 2 Pac-12 teams but no ranked teams. Don't know what to expect from this team.
Boise St.: 0-1 Played #18 Ole Miss tough until the 4th quarter but this is clearly not the same team. MWC means 7 or 8 wins still possible.
Middle Tennessee: 1-0. Won 61-7 against Savannah St. whom we will also face. Weak opponent but they might be for real. Weak schedule could mean lots of wins. 10 is possible.
UNLV: 0-1. Lost big time to Arizona. Don't expect much against a weak schedule. Below .500.
Savannah St.: Do their wins/losses even count since they are FCS?
California: 1-0. Narrowly beat an average Northwestern team. Very difficult schedule with 4 ranked teams. No way they got to .500.

Conclusion: MTSU is only team that is a lock to win lots of games IMO. Because of easy schedules Houston, Utah St., UCF, and Boise St. might get to above .500. Texas is still the biggest name on the schedule, but what if all the teams on our schedule conspire to have horrible seasons??

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Re: Opponents Win %

Post by NDCougar »

My guess is yes we get in the top 15 but don't make a January bowl game if undefeated.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

In 1977 and 1985 BYU played NINE (9) teams with a losing record. That is most in any one season going back to 1972.

BYU played 14 games in 1985 and 11 games in 1977.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

SpiffCoug wrote:In 1977 and 1985 BYU played NINE (9) teams with a losing record. That is most in any one season going back to 1972.

So what is your prognostication based on the initial question?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

If we go undefeated - Top 10.

Do not fret too much over this question. BYU is unlikely to go undefeated.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

NDCougar wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:In 1977 and 1985 BYU played NINE (9) teams with a losing record. That is most in any one season going back to 1972.

My guess is that we won't ever play a season where every opponent is below .500.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

SpiffCoug wrote:
NDCougar wrote:

My guess is that we won't ever play a season where every opponent is below .500.
We'd have to play a bowl game where the opposing team either ends up 6-7 after we beat them, or they got special permission to attend the bowl at 5-6 because there weren't enough bowl eligible teams. Or not go to a bowl game ourselves which is pretty much unpossible.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

We'd be top 15 almost certainly but without any reason to cry for playoff inclusion. And I'm okay with that. I don't know if we could get into the NY6 but I bet someone would take us if there's an opening. It helps if we have some star power--it's all about Taysom.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Texas will win 8 games no problem, possilby 10. The UVa D is legit, they'll get 7 wins this year, UCF and MT will win 9-10 (11 maybe for MT). BSU and USU will each have 8-9 wins. Uconn, UH, UNR and UNLV all have a shot at 6-6 or 7-5 (I think 3 of them make it). Cal will be trying to get bowl eligible in the game at the end of the years.

I estimate 7 teams with winning records, 9 teams will be bowl eligible. I think BYU ends up 10-2 and ranked #22 going into the bowl season with losses to Texas and one of UVa, Cal, or UCF. If BYU makes it to 11-1 I think they get a new year's bowl and if everything falls just right and they go 12-0 we'll be buying tickets to Pasadena. I don't think there's any way BYU ends up 12-0 and doesn't go to a New Year's bowl.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams