Is Anae The Guy?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Is Anae The Guy?

Yes
70%
No
11%
Jury is still out?
20%

Total votes: 46

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Is Anae The Guy?

Post by a1247 »

Schmoe wrote:Greg Wrubell on Taysom's (should've been) touchdown run: Finally watched the Leslie penalty that canceled a T. Hill 66-yard TD run. What a brutal call. DB pulls Leslie down on top of him. Turrible.

Mark Durrant: Me yelling when they called the penalty. "THE RECEIVER PULLED HIM DOWN ON TOP OF HIM!

Watch it on the DVR and where I thought the hold was there was nothing but a great block by Leslie. I thought he had the defensive backs jersey clinched in his hand but he didn't. I guess my blue goggles got a little green jello on them from the celebrating I was doing durning the run ;)

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

So the answer to this poll depends on what your definition of is is.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

hawkwing wrote:So the answer to this poll depends on what your definition of is is.
as defined above.

Is Anae the best guy realistically available to BYU to do this job.

The poll allows voters to change their votes if they misunderstood that.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

a1247 wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Greg Wrubell on Taysom's (should've been) touchdown run: Finally watched the Leslie penalty that canceled a T. Hill 66-yard TD run. What a brutal call. DB pulls Leslie down on top of him. Turrible.

Mark Durrant: Me yelling when they called the penalty. "THE RECEIVER PULLED HIM DOWN ON TOP OF HIM!

Watch it on the DVR and where I thought the hold was there was nothing but a great block by Leslie. I thought he had the defensive backs jersey clinched in his hand but he didn't. I guess my blue goggles got a little green jello on them from the celebrating I was doing durning the run ;)
It was a great pancake block. Unfortunately, almost everytime a DB gets pancaked by a WR downfield, it's going to be called as holding.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

hawkwing wrote:So the answer to this poll depends on what your definition of is is.
Respect.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
Respect.
That would be an element of it. Respect. Do you respect Anae as the BYU Offensive Coordinator.

For example, if you think he should be fired or demoted, vote no. If you think you could take the defense of any MWC team and beat Anae via you were the DC, vote no. If you went through more than half of the Texas game this year or last thinking he was an idiot, vote no. If all of your posts end with Anae is not the guy, vote no.

But mainly, if you think he is the right guy for the job at this time based on who is realistically available, vote yes. Otherwise vote no or IDK.

But, yes, this poll was created to see if the majority of fans respect and support Anae as OC, are not sure, or do not.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I immediately discount the opinion of anyone who complains about "runs up the middle" as an indicator of Anae's ineptitude.

Which plays exactly do they have an issue with? Dives? Slants? Traps? Draws? Blasts? Veers? Do they even know how those differ from each other? Do they know which of those funny words mean the same thing as another one listed? Anae could run "up the middle" twenty times in a row and never run the same play twice once you account for all gaps. The "run up the middle" criticism is a false criticism in my mind and instead is an indication of someone who values the sexy big plays that have a very low success rate over the battles in the trenches that actually win games by wearing out defenses and revealing defensive tendencies to increase the success rate of the very big sexy plays they want.

I will say that Anae run the ball between the tackles a lot on Saturday, but the number of draws and dives were more a personnel decision than anything in my mind. Your backs are a bunch of power runners (Lasike, Hine, Brown) and one slasher guy with an untested knee. When you have those three guys and you are trying to protect your #1 guy/only speed guy, I won't criticize an OC for avoiding going outside the tackles to the extent Anae did, especially in a rout. Why put the other stuff on film when you can win in the trenches?

I have my own doubts as to whether Anae can deliver Bronco's intended national championship--the Texas game can give people a lot of false confidence as it really was three mediocre quarters of football where we put up 3 fieldgoals, and one quarter where everything went right. Which is a better indicator of where the offense is? One quarter, or three? My personal opinion is that we saw an offense that is not there yet, but we saw one quarter of what it CAN be.

That said, the "runs up the middle" line is on a par with the "happy feet" criticism of quarterbacks--an indicator of someone who knows a few things about something and wants to look clever/respectable, but instead is often only revealing they aren't as clever as they think they are. Just look at the big three criticisms of Anae from hanging 41 points on the Horns: 1) he "runs up the middle too much!", 2) he doesn't call the quick slants and crossing routes!, and 3) he isn't stretching the field vertically! I see those three things and see posters who just want a pass-happy offense with occaisional big runs from Taysom (not up the middle, though). When someone's criticism is based on what entertains them versus what wins games, just tune that person out.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Sno

I agree with the 3 quarters Vs 1 to an extent, as adjusted slightly below and also corrected - 4th quarter was a TD iirc, not a field goal.

If you subtract Q3, BYU wins 13-0. In the first half, bad snaps and a phantom holding call cost BYU 10 or more points. In Q4, at 7 points per quarter is a 28 PPG clip in a quarter with the foot off the pedal and a back-up QB giving hand offs and taking a knee at the end.

We should not read too much into Q3. BYU was gifted with great field position over and over. Maybe they earned it though. Texas defense, offense, and even coaches looked stunned. I do not think we will see a lot of 28 point quarters. I do think we will see a lot of 30+ point performances. That would have won at least 2 more games last year.

So 10-3 or better looks to be likely in 2014.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Anyone feel like changing their vote?

Taysom was our entire offense, and we didn't protect him, and instead rode him into the ground. This is the best talent and coaching at offensive line that BYU can provide? Linebackers and lineman running after the quarterback untouched almost all game long? Drive killing false starts and holdings 5 games into the season?

Let's get super gimmicky with a read option attack for two years, when our offensive line doesn't even know how to pick up a middle linebacker blitz... Perfect.
Last edited by Brayden Green on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Anyone feel like changing their vote?

Taysom was our entire offense, and we didn't protect him, and instead rode him into the ground. This is the best talent and coaching at offensive line that BYU can provide? Linebackers and lineman running after the quarterback untouched almost all game long?

Let's get super gimmicky with a read option attack for two years, when our offensive line doesn't even know how to pick up a middle linebacker blitz... Perfect.
Not to mention running our backup qb after losing our once in a generation talented starter.
Anae is still so stubborn.