Is Anae The Guy?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Is Anae The Guy?

Yes
70%
No
11%
Jury is still out?
20%

Total votes: 46

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Is Anae The Guy?

Post by a1247 »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
a1247 wrote:
Schmoe wrote:and if not for a phantom holding call, a very long Taysom TD run.

Sorry but even with my blue goggles on I saw that hold while Hill was running by him. Jordan Leslie held his man and then took him down. Not sure how you see that as a "phantom" holding call.
I'll agree to disagree with you, a pancake doesn't make it a hold. Anyway, it's a nice attempt to deflect from the bigger point that was being made, but Anae still called a great game.
I think he was pulled down by his defender and was blocking legally. Totally bogus call in my opinion.

Anae called a great 2nd half. The first half could have, and should have looked like the second did. I am glad that the second half turned out the way it did. Progress is progress, and I'll take it. :)

I agree he was pulled down/pancake blocked the defender but it was the holding that went on before they went to the ground that was called. But that's besides the point. Anae has had a good year so far but it's way to early for anyone to say he's the "guy". Has everyone already forgot the Bowl game last year or the Notre Dame game or Wisconsin game......lets all relax and enjoy the ride that this current team is giving us.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

redneckjedi wrote:I swear, if I hear one more complaint about inside runs, my head will explode. A football game consists of 80+ plays of offense, and if you just look at single plays in isolation, you miss the bigger picture - and you'll lose. If you never run up the gut, the linebackers are free to roam either into the passing lanes or into the backfield. Try and throw a quick slant or out against that - it'll be a pick that looks exactly like the one Alisa got. Or try and run only outside - you won't get anywhere. A good offensive strategy makes the defense try to defend as much of the field as possible on every play, and the middle of the field where all your blockers are is a key part of that. It's like chess - you need to control the center, and even if no promising attack comes from the center, your opponent's focus on it can open up other opportunities.

Secondly, we run a lot of read option. That means Hill holds the ball out to the dive back while reading the defense. If the offensive line gets enough push, the correct read is to give on the dive. If you don't, the defense can cheat outside and shut down your option game. Also, add has been mentioned, we actually got a good bit of production from these inside gives.

Finally, we got 4.2 yards per carry. When you do that, you're doing something right.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Finally someone who gets it! I am in your camp on this sentiment 100 percent, and the best part is that I didn't have to type the essay on what should be on on page 1 of the Football Offense and Play Calling 101 manual ;)

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Schmoe wrote:
Gunk wrote: The question is whether he "Is the guy." By that, I think we can all agree it's whether Anae is the OC to get us too a national championship. ]
I guess this is where our disconnect is. I thought it meant "Is Anae the best O-coordinator for the job at this time?" Because if we don't have someone better waiting in the wings to replace him, then why would anyone complain so much about him staying on the staff?
I think Anae is solid and likely the best guy we can get for now. Never said he wasn't. So do you think he is the guy to get us a national championship?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Schmoe wrote:
Gunk wrote: The question is whether he "Is the guy." By that, I think we can all agree it's whether Anae is the OC to get us too a national championship. ]
I guess this is where our disconnect is. I thought it meant "Is Anae the best O-coordinator for the job at this time?" Because if we don't have someone better waiting in the wings to replace him, then why would anyone complain so much about him staying on the staff?
Shmoe is correct. This poll is not asking whether Anae is improved and is no asking if he is an NC calibur coach. It is asking if he is as good as BYU is likely to get. A top 10 OC makes nearly as much as Bronco. And our new DC is not a top 10 DC. I have not seen Bronco on any top 10 head coach lists either. The new DC at Louisville, for example just got $975,000 not including bonuses. That easily double and probably triple what Anae makes.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Gunk wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
I think Anae is solid and likely the best guy we can get for now. Never said he wasn't. So do you think he is the guy to get us a national championship?

Anae is not a Top 10 OC. If he was, he would be a head coach somewhere by next year. BYU is not going to get a top 10 OC unless by accident. And If that Accident comes a long, he will not stay long.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

For BYU to even flirt with a NC, the stars will need to align on offense, defense, and special teams all at the same time during a season with a manageable schedule in a year where the P5 conferences have enough parity to beat all of the usual snobs down a bit.

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

Cougarbib wrote:For BYU to even flirt with a NC, the stars will need to align on offense, defense, and special teams all at the same time during a season with a manageable schedule in a year where the P5 conferences have enough parity to beat all of the usual snobs down a bit.

You nailed it Bib.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Things I love: we are scoring points again. Lots of them. Fans cannot forget what 2010-2012 were like. We were running high school offenses out there and rushed the field because we came back to beat USU. We as a fanbase cannot forget what that was like. Anae has been a savior.

Things I struggle with: I hate the fade throw in the endzone. It doesn't work for most teams. It doesn't work for us. That call at the end of the 1st half was a bad call. Red zone weakness. Anae has not mastered red zone scoring--I honestly wonder if it's more a personnel issue though. We can score on good D's, but I think if we played vs Wisconsin or ND again we still wouldn't be able to move the pile. Until we can his offenses will not be elite.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Gunk wrote:
Schmoe wrote:

I think with Bronco's defense, with good recruiting, and with a little bit of luck, we could go undefeated and contend for a playoff spot, putting us in position to win an NC. We saw it with the John Beck teams, we saw it with the Max Hall teams, the only time we didn't see it with Bronco was the Heaps/Nelson fiasco (let's not go there again). There were several years under Bronco and Anae where we were VERY close, and I don't think it was a fluke.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Greg Wrubell on Taysom's (should've been) touchdown run: Finally watched the Leslie penalty that canceled a T. Hill 66-yard TD run. What a brutal call. DB pulls Leslie down on top of him. Turrible.

Mark Durrant: Me yelling when they called the penalty. "THE RECEIVER PULLED HIM DOWN ON TOP OF HIM!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,