Gordon Monson gets it right, for once

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Gordon Monson gets it right, for once

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Hate to admit it, but he is right on with what BYU has to find to have a special season. I hate he uses a comparison with Utes. But what he quotes is right on. BYU has the athletes to go undefeated, but they need far more than some play makers and potential Heisman contender.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/58 ... s.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ddawg
All Star

Re: Gordon Monson gets it right, for once

Post by Ddawg »

Even a broken clock is right 2x a day. Gordon Monson is a tool.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Ddawg wrote:Even a broken clock is right 2x a day. Gordon Monson is a tool.
argumentum ad hominem. Please Respond to his content/points.

Ygridiron4ever
Freshman

Post by Ygridiron4ever »

If the article were 60 years old and dug up out of some archive; and if it were about a storied program, it would be so spot-on that a coach in Bronco's position today (and I mean this very day sitting at 3-0) should have the whole team read it.

I agree, remove your personal bias toward the (clears his throat as he says) article's author, or the team and persons referenced therein, and you'll find some really good advice.

I hope BYU gets the advice and follows it.

"Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." -Einstein
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Byu has a chance to do something that happens only what, once in a generation? And the biggest barrier to accomplishing that is its own mental fortitude or lack thereof. What they have to conquer is harder than conquering fear or an opponent.
Its so uncany that all the makings for an actual undefeated season (and even monson acquiesces to this) occurs on the 30th anniversary of the only other undefeated season. Regardless, I will enjoy watching not just the great playmakers and team D, etc, but watching this unique mental battle of overcoming human mental weakness or whatever it more aptly could be called.
I would love to spend an hour with Craig Manning, the team psychologist and even Craig and Bronco and hear what conversations they have regarding the mental state of this team. If you havent seen any of Craigs work, check out "THe Fearless Mind". its good stuff.

runbyu1
Sophomore

Post by runbyu1 »

I second the support of "The Fearless Mind." When I heard Craig was working with the team this year I knew it would be a good thing. Note that the players mentioned re-setting with the Fearless Mind tactics during halftime against Texas and cited that as something that made a huge difference for that big third quarter.

P.S. I get some of, but not all of the Gordon Monson hate. He's a faithful church member (on the high council right now), and a pretty good guy. He's very objective and certainly not a homer by any means. And yes, I acknowledge that he says things to raise eyebrows and get attention---but that is his job afterall.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
Ddawg wrote:Even a broken clock is right 2x a day. Gordon Monson is a tool.
argumentum ad hominem. Please Respond to his content/points.
Why? Gordon Monson is an arrogant tool.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Yes. But are You the pot or the kettle? Good ideas are good ideas. I defend and agree with his ideas not his personality.

tww
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by tww »

Only read this article if you have time to waste and enjoy being insulted. Yes, the suggested advice may be useful but the demeaning manner in which is done is rather loathsome.

My summary: here is a great new idea the U of U came up with and BYU should learn from them, it is called "One game at a time."

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Thin skin gets ripped. Why let him get his claws into you.
Nobody actually thinks that Bronco is going to get his coaching tips from gordon monson. Gordo is pandering to his TribUte audience as usual. Yes, he is trying to make BYU sound like little brother. Who cares.
But BYU better get their wisdom from somewhere, bc pride and success ruin nations--and it will for Cougar Nation if these boys inhale the continued hype for now. And then when and if they get closer to undefeated, will face a whole other pressure even larger than just winning one game at a time.