There is one game... Virginia

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: There is one game... Virginia

Post by imuakahuku »

The coaches and players have only been responding to questions. You don't hear them out there taking any of them for granted except maybe savannah st. They always come back to taking it one game at a time. I seriously doubt that if they lose a game it was because they just figured they were going undefeated and took teams lightly. Against Houston some players admitted to relaxing a bit because it was so easy. I think it was a lesson to not let up and to stay focused. The good news is that Houston was only in it because of mental lapses that I think will not be repeated by so many players.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

UVA has a crappy offense just for the record. They had all sorts of short fields vs UL and still had lots of 3 and outs and field goal drives. BYU is turning the ball over in every game so unfortunately we will give up a short field at some point. So the D will need to hold them to field goals. Although I would love to see a shutout! This would be the week to pitch one.

UVA plays legit D, but nobody can shut us down all game. We'll get 3 TD's at least on them.

Mingjai
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mingjai »

craigoscarson wrote:I hope Bronco and others can stop talking undefeated, "special" season. The season is what it becomes... injuries, referees, weather, etc. You can't control everything.

Losing is not the end of the world and I hope fans don't act that way if we lose along this path... It's hard to go undefeated. It's hard to win on the road, and it's hard to win every coinflip (especially if you're Texas)

There is one game and one game only.... Virginia.

(btw I'm glad I don't live near Vegas. If BYU is truly still a 13.5 point favorite, I'd be tempted to unload a large # on Virginia... I expect a dogfight)
Agreed. The difference between 1984 and 1985 was that every ball that bounced the right way in '84 bounced the wrong way in '85. I still think the '85 team was a better team than the '84 team--better in the sense that I'd favor the '85 team in a mythical head-to-head matchup--it's just the '85 team didn't have the luck or the health to post as good of a record.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Bam. Health. 1985.

You are only as good as the players on the field. Health is a huge part of the equation. iirc, the 1985 team lost to an otherwise winless UTEP team. Belini and Kozloski were both held out with nagging injuries.

Even bigger, Bosco was playing with an injury to his throwing shoulder that had not been disclosed.

UTEP put up an extremely unusual and unexpected defensive scheme and Bosco never got in rhythm. When he had a chance to throw deep for the win, he floated a short, lame, duck, and it was picked.

Similar float of a deep pass in two other losses.

So, unless you want to rewrite history and adjust every team for injuries like Gordon Hudson, for example, you have to realize that depth or lack of it is part of the "greatness equation" as is luck.

If Belini, Koz, and Bosco had all been healthy all season, back to back undefeated would have been a real possibility.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

UTEP cheated.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Schmoe wrote:UTEP cheated.
I heard that rumor. Never saw substantiation. If it ever was substantiated, it would be ruled a win by forfeit.

Nonetheless, BYU had injured players and Bosco could no longer throw the deep ball.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Cougarbib wrote:
Schmoe wrote:UTEP cheated.
I heard that rumor. Never saw substantiation. If it ever was substantiated, it would be ruled a win by forfeit.

Nonetheless, BYU had injured players and Bosco could no longer throw the deep ball.

BYU has taken their own sidelines communications systems to road games ever since.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

There are a ton of articles about this game. In particular I found a 2010 Deseret News article just before we played them in the Bowl game that year. It addresses the rumor and the injuries, especially if you read the fan comments at the end.

UTEP AD says their communication system was tamper proof - hard wired in under ground conduit. Then said you did not need to tap BYU because everyone knew what they were doing - you just could not stop it.

Nothing is tamper proof, but the injuries are a better explanation and the fact that UTEP was giving BYU the run by rushing only 2 men and dropping 9 into coverage. But BYU went away from the run and just kept trying to throw it.

A reader commented that the Bosco injury was the worst kept secret in Provo, but Holmgren kept playing Bosco even though everyone knew he could not throw it more than 20 yards.

A reader also commented that the 3 losses all involved a pick 6 on a similar pass that won the game.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Cougarbib wrote:There are a ton of articles about this game. In particular I found a 2010 Deseret News article just before we played them in the Bowl game that year. It addresses the rumor and the injuries, especially if you read the fan comments at the end.

UTEP AD says their communication system was tamper proof - hard wired in under ground conduit. Then said you did not need to tap BYU because everyone knew what they were doing - you just could not stop it.

Nothing is tamper proof, but the injuries are a better explanation and the fact that UTEP was giving BYU the run by rushing only 2 men and dropping 9 into coverage. But BYU went away from the run and just kept trying to throw it.

A reader commented that the Bosco injury was the worst kept secret in Provo, but Holmgren kept playing Bosco even though everyone knew he could not throw it more than 20 yards.

A reader also commented that the 3 losses all involved a pick 6 on a similar pass that won the game.

Here's your article.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7000 ... tml?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All I know is Lavell didn't buy what the UTEP AD was saying. He was suspicious enough to spend a small fortune in new comms and never use opponent's comms again.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I agree with LaVell. Even then, in this wireless age - I might even create a secret code in case they tapped in.

see the AD comment about steal in signals from a baseball catcher. By the time you get them the ball is already across the plate.

maybe that is the hidden advantage of gfgh.