BYU SOS

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU SOS

Post by byufan4ever »

I was trying to find a website that showed BYU's opponent's win % AND BYU's opponent's opponent's win % kinda like what you see for basketball RPI but I couldn't find any so I compiled it myself.
BYU Football 2014 SOS.PNG
Virginia and Boise St. look tough while Houston looks weak.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: BYU SOS

Post by hawkwing »

This is great. I hope you keep it up through the season.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

This is helpful. We should follow the SoS rankings through out the year, they are published (I believe) and insightful IF BYU keeps winning.

I would expect the SoS to go down throughout the year as the P5 schools get rid of their fluff games and start playing their normal schedule.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Is there a way to 1) eliminate the result of the BYU game from our opponent's win loss percentage? and 2) to eliminate the result of the opponent's game from the opp-opp's win-loss percentage?

That just seems more relevant to me-->how well they are doing against everyone else, not against BYU (or our opponents as we've already accounted for that game once in the opponent's w/l %).

Maybe I'm off, or the only one that thinks this way.

runbyu1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by runbyu1 »

I think you're right on Sno and I agree. Putting it together might be some work though...

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

sno, if what you mean is that BSU and VA are advantaged in their three game records because they haven't had to face BYU yet, while Houston has an extra loss (1:2) because they've played BYU already...... then, that makes a lot of sense. You can't really compare them with the others until they've all played BYU.

I'm not so sure that BSU and VA are that much better, or any better than Houston. The red Cougars brought an effective pass rush while maintaining good coverage on our receivers. They were surprisingly aggressive in some ways, and beat us three to zero on TO's. I know, BYU should have covered the point spread better, but still, I don't consider Houston to be weaker than BSU, VA, USU, Cal. Others will no doubt disagree on that. I guess we'll eventually see how those teams fare against BYU.

I feel like UCF is the most enigmatic matchup for us from this point in time. UCF worries me more than the others. It's hard to tell how good the Knights are after their up and down, close, come from behind loss to Penn St.

At any rate, I do believe that BYU's SOS will steadily improve through the course of the season.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote:Is there a way to 1) eliminate the result of the BYU game from our opponent's win loss percentage? and 2) to eliminate the result of the opponent's game from the opp-opp's win-loss percentage?

That just seems more relevant to me-->how well they are doing against everyone else, not against BYU (or our opponents as we've already accounted for that game once in the opponent's w/l %).

Maybe I'm off, or the only one that thinks this way.
Then UConn/Texas/Houston all move from 1-2 (0.333%) to 1-1 (.500).

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BOID wrote:sno, if what you mean is that BSU and VA are advantaged in their three game records because they haven't had to face BYU yet, while Houston has an extra loss (1:2) because they've played BYU already...... then, that makes a lot of sense. You can't really compare them with the others until they've all played BYU.
Keeping those scores in the matrix also punishes the SOS of teams who win, but inflates the SOS of losing teams.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

BOID wrote:
At any rate, I do believe that BYU's SOS will steadily improve through the course of the season.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Not sure I see the SOS improving. I would love to be wrong, but not sure I see BYU's schedule getting increasingly tougher vs the rest of the P5's. A lot of P5's have been playing patsy games, once the conference schedule starts their SOS will bump up.

Not sure how BYU's SOS gets boost late in the season by playing Savannah State, MTSU, UNLV etc. The next few weeks we play good teams (not top tier) which may help a bit but not a lot.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I was hesitant to do it the way you are suggesting, but after reading this:

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/BCS/ ... xplain.htm

The BCS way of calculating SOS would take out head to head results AND I-AA wins (but NOT I-AA losses).

I will redo it at some point, but it may not be until after the Virginia game.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins