BYU vs UVA game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs UVA game thread

Post by byucougar1 »

BYU needs to get more pressure from OLB. They miss Kafusi on edge and Marquez Johnson at NT. However, Hinds and Warner saw lots of action, played reasonably well, and this will pay dividends in the future.We also need to see WR step up with Jordan Leslie out with ankle injury. Perhaps Blackmon can do it but it's time for Apo and Matthews and TE to step up their game and become a part of the offense. Kurtz should be ready by USU. We also need Algie Brown back so the D can't just focus on Williams and Hill.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Football is meant to be entertaining. This game was. Held the crowd at the stadium and probably viewers on ESPN. Lots of drama. My daughter-in-law has been converted to a BYU fan by watching this team. Enjoy them. Look for the positive. It I'd there. The team came together and won this game.

Rally around your team. Ute fans are rallying around their unbeaten team even though they may not have one much longer.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

I watched the game on DVR late, so I didn't look at this thread until this morning. I can see the frustration that fans had because of the bad penalties, etc.

However, what I saw in that game was that Virginia was by far the best team we've played this season. I can see them going on to have a great season this year. Fans can get a little blind sometimes in seeing every play from only the BYU perspective - i.e. when Virginia makes a great play our fans only see it as a bad play on the part of BYU.

I enjoyed the game, and enjoyed the fact that BYU pulled out the win despite the difficulties and penalties. Virginia played a great game, and still couldn't pull out the win. Great win Cougars!

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

This game was good for us in that we got down early. We hadn't trailed in a game this year and it was good to see the team respond with toughness and tenacity.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Schmoe wrote:This game was good for us in that we got down early. We hadn't trailed in a game this year and it was good to see the team respond with toughness and tenacity.
Optimist. Regardless of whether the glass is half full or half empty, it's still only half way full. I guess one could focus on the positives. It's the squeeking by two weeks in a row--AT HOME-- that will kill BYUs momentum in the polls--as it has in the Sagarin this morning. Maybe that will keep BYUs hubris and level of satisfaction somewhat in check.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
Schmoe wrote:This game was good for us in that we got down early. We hadn't trailed in a game this year and it was good to see the team respond with toughness and tenacity.
Optimist. Regardless of whether the glass is half full or half empty, it's still only half way full. I guess one could focus on the positives. It's the squeeking by two weeks in a row--AT HOME-- that will kill BYUs momentum in the polls--as it has in the Sagarin this morning. Maybe that will keep BYUs hubris and level of satisfaction somewhat in check.
But we did move up the polls last week, and we will again this week. Good teams don't blowout every team they face, but they find ways to win. A top-ten and top-twenty team both lost to unranked opponents this week, but we didn't, and teams throughout the top-25 had close games this week. We won, and that's what matters.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

That's my takeaway as well. They came back when it didn't look like we would ever stop UVA. That's encouraging.

But Bills and Hill both stated that they never had any doubt that they would win the game. Confidence from leadership can take a team very far. I guess our hope needs to be that those 2 can help calm their respective teams down and mitigate the one thing that is keeping us from blowing teams out the last 2 (almost 3) weeks: inopportune penalties.