Commentators are as stupid as refs

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Commentators are as stupid as refs

Post by Cougarbib »

Taysom Hill is stronger than he is fast even though he is very fast.
CAL and Boise State may be the only remaining teams on our schedule that will receive national recognition as a quality win. UCF may or may not. But, there is only about 1 opponent that could not have their blind squirrel cracking our ....... never mind.

Our receivers are not scary fast. They get chased down from behind. They are faster than what we normally have.

Our lock down DBs are not. They may be better than what we usually have, but good receivers give them problems.

We are deeper and more talented than we have been in a while.

We can still improve.

This is a fun team to watch.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

I was at the game yesterday, so I cannot personally comment on the ESPN "Commentators". But, a buddy of mine back in Ca who is NOT a BYU fan, and not LDS, watched the game on ESPN. He called me after the game on my cell to give me his perspective.

The first thing he said was how much he disliked the Commentators. He felt they were very biased towards UVA no matter what happened on the field - they always found a silver lining for UVA. But for BYU, they had very little positive to say. He was pretty blunt how biased they were (I won't repeat his colorful commentary). 8)
Last edited by Ddawg on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue42
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by blue42 »

I thought the refs were terrible. There were a lot of bogus PI calls, many PI's not called ( many that should have been called against BYU) a couple offensive PI calls that weren't called. A lot of holding not called especially when an offensive lineman can tackle a defensive guy from behind before he gets to the QB. Bogus unsportsmanlike calls against BYU and none against Virginia for doing the same things. Taunting calls not made that were right in front of the refs. I don't know if anybody else saw this one of the side judges in the 4th started getting on Bills and Leavitt's case after they made a great play that took them into Virginia's bench. Both were basically high fiving each other when the ref started to get after them. Bills actually started jawing back at the ref because of it. There was no reason for the ref to be saying anything to them at all.

In regards to the no call on Taysom, how could that not be a flag? It wasn't a facemask or a horse collar but the defender did target his head, and he also did briefly grab the underside of Taysom's helmet, otherwise Taysom's head doesn't snap the way it did. Besides hitting the head has always been a penalty but on that play for some reason it wasn't.

Very poor officiating.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

Another display of how bad they were, on the running into the kicker, which should have been roughing the kicker, the Virginia player fair caught the ball on the 30. With the penalty it should have moved it back to the 25 but they didn't, they started the drive on the 30.

How does nobody catch that?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

blue42 wrote:Another display of how bad they were, on the running into the kicker, which should have been roughing the kicker, the Virginia player fair caught the ball on the 30. With the penalty it should have moved it back to the 25 but they didn't, they started the drive on the 30.

I think the foul technically occurred prior to the change of possession. So the penalty was on BYU to accept or decline. Since it was incorrectly ruled running into and not roughing, BYU would not have gotten the first down so they declined it.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Have to disagree about the "not a face mask." The current rules say that grasping any edge or ear-hole of the helmet does qualify as a face mask infraction. Taysom's helmet was not inadvertently grasped, but was grasped at the edge in a prolonged, forceful way which provided most of the effect in the tackle. Taysom was pulled over at the waist so that his head was inverted as a result of that grasp on the edge of his helmet. The defender's momentum had carried him past Taysom, who would have shed the tackle if not for the grasp on the helmet.

That no-call was outrageous.

There were other things to complain about, including the shove in the back by UVA's receiver on their right side line. I think it was R Daniel who was pushed away from the ball (Our DB was deep to the receiver, and had better position on the ball, but had not turned around yet when he was shoved hard in the back and knocked down). The reception was made and it was one of those big third down conversions leading to a late score for UVA. It should have been called back due to offensive PI. I know that PI is not often called on an offense, but this was blatant.

Agree that the call should have been ROUGHING the kicker.

The fumbled punt return by UVA on their 5 yard line. This was another example of biased officiating. A Cougar had possession of the live ball all by himself on the turf before the pile-up. Those officials saw that and did not blow their whistles. They allowed the Cavs to pile on and wrestle it away, saving the Cavs from disaster.

Any one of these last three incidents, correctly called, would very likely have iced the game for BYU.

BYU is now getting some-what the same officiating treatment as Notre Dame. As independents, they both face more opponent conference officiating, than other teams with conference memberships have to face.

There is also the annoyance/ embarrassment factor that motivates biased officiating. That is, the great hope that P5 and play-off series advocates cling to, that no "Group of 5/Mid-Major" will go un-defeated and/or look good against P5 programs as they attempt to further separate themselves as elites that are more deserving of TV fame and fortune.

Hopefully, our Cougs will continue to progress so they can play well beyond officiating influence.

Last edited by BOID on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

SpiffCoug wrote:
blue42 wrote:Another display of how bad they were, on the running into the kicker, which should have been roughing the kicker, the Virginia player fair caught the ball on the 30. With the penalty it should have moved it back to the 25 but they didn't, they started the drive on the 30.

I think the foul technically occurred prior to the change of possession. So the penalty was on BYU to accept or decline. Since it was incorrectly ruled running into and not roughing, BYU would not have gotten the first down so they declined it.
I believe BYU had a choice to enforce it from the line of scrimmage or tack it on the other end of the play. I will have to look up the rule to be 100% sure. I think this is the exact same thing that happened in the Houston game and the penalty wouldn't give BYU the first down so they tacked it on the end of the punt.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

blue42 wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:

I believe BYU had a choice to enforce it from the line of scrimmage or tack it on the other end of the play. I will have to look up the rule to be 100% sure. I think this is the exact same thing that happened in the Houston game and the penalty wouldn't give BYU the first down so they tacked it on the end of the punt.

Just looked up the rule and it states running into the punter is 5 yards from line of scrimmage. So BYU declined and gave Virginia the ball. The refs still sucked though.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

If you guys seriously thought that was roughing the kicker, we might as well just eliminate the running into the kicker penalty altogether...

If Craig Bills or Rob Daniel does that to another team's punter, you seriously think it should be a 15-yarder because the punter sells it?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Most fans are Homers by nature. At least most BYU fans are sober homers.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.