Why USU-BYU Might Suck

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Why USU-BYU Might Suck

Post by snoscythe »

BYU is the most penalized team in FBS right now, and USU is the #5 most-penalized. If it's an "average" game for both teams, expect flags on 21 or so plays...

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... eam/876/p3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope the head ref is ready for his time in the spotlight.

blue42
Senior

Re: Why USU-BYU Might Suck

Post by blue42 »

snoscythe wrote:BYU is the most penalized team in FBS right now, and USU is the #5 most-penalized. If it's an "average" game for both teams, expect flags on 21 or so plays...

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... eam/876/p3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope the head ref is ready for his time in the spotlight.
LOL, that is interesting, perhaps the ref's might have to ice down their throwing arms after the game.

I hope they decided to keep the flags tuck away, it is already a late starting game and I would like to get home before 2am!

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

I don't care if it ends up a 2-0 game that last 6 hours and has 400 yards in penalties... Jim McMahon is being inducted into the BYU hall of fame....= not sucking

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

craigoscarson wrote:I don't care if it ends up a 2-0 game that last 6 hours and has 400 yards in penalties... Jim McMahon is being inducted into the BYU hall of fame....= not sucking
True. That is cool. Wish I could be there.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

I keep wondering if the reason BYU runs into so many penalties is because our coaches actually don't teach the players the way to cheat and be unseen. I don't know how many TV announcers have made mention of previous playing years and acknowledging that some player did not yet understand how to hold or interfere with a receiver without getting caught. We all know that is a standard that is taught. To what degree BYU coaches teach those techniques, I don't know.

Just wondering

I wonder too, how many teams have the convenience of a consistency of refs for their home games. Sure, they're not getting the same for each game of the season, but possibly the same sets for home games every year and are therefore more familiar. BYU probably very rarely has a ref that officiated in any of their games from the year before since we are independent.

I just cannot put my finger on the actual cause. The top 10 offenders only contains 2 P5 teams. That might indicate something, especially since the 1st four weeks involves a lot of non-P5 teams playing at P5 venues.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Many of the penalties last week could have been called as follows:

"Personal Foul, BYU, Not being from the ACC, 15 yard pentalty, automatic first down."

BYU has always been a high penalty team. In the days of Edwards, BYU would get called for holding all the time. Number of penalties and yards are generally not an indicator of winning.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Just win, baby! I don't care if it's ugly, just get me W's.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I'm on board with the idea that penalties of aggression are ok. Having a delay of game and holding and false starts and illegal formations are not as ok with me. Even the PI flags are sometimes bearable. I don't remember whether it was Skye or someone else, but a PI definitely saved at least one wide open VA touchdown.

Agreed with the above. Keep the W's rolling. Penalties don't matter as much. Points matter more.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image