Finally

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Finally

Post by Cougarbib »

We are past garbage time and more and more teams are playing games they might actually lose. I think I read that nearly 30 teams going into week 5 still had not lost. Some are ranked ahead of us, and some would possibly jump us with a big win. A handful or two of elite teams will need to lose twice to fall behind us. Any P5 team without a loss will be ahead of us by season end. Let the losses start to pile up - except BYU, of course.

Utah and a few other teams got their first loss today. Next week, games like Okie Vs TCU will help. One of them will pick up their first loss. Arizona? The PAC looks like they will beat each other up a bit. Okie, TCU, and Baylor all play each other eventually and a couple of other Big 12 teams could upset one of those. I presume ND will be playing USC and / or Stanford. ND needs to lose a couple. Penn State lost today.

Who else went down today and is likely to go down week 6?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Finally

Post by Jarhead »

We're now down to 16 undefeated teams besides BYU. Only one of those would stay behind an undefeated BYU at the end of the season (Marshall), but as you say the attrition of these teams having to face each other has begun.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Yesterday was almost huge. At one point FSU and A&m both trailed by double digits. But, alas, they pulled out the Ws. They are vulnerable but great teams pull out wins.

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

Two undefeated teams I'm almost positive will lose multiple times are Ole Miss and UCLA

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Yesterday was almost huge. At one point FSU and A&m both trailed by double digits. But, alas, they pulled out the Ws. They are vulnerable but great teams pull out wins.
Yeah, but did we really want NCState being undefeated or Arkansas suddenly showing up in the top 25? That's my only problem with being in the top 25 with few games on our schedule that will bring us any lift. It takes some of the fun out of seeing teams win with an upset when that upset can spring them ahead of us. In a couple of weeks, upsets will be of more value when a 2-3 loss team takes down one of the ranked teams.

I was enjoying seeing AF attending BSU's self-implosion, but I couldn't totally enjoy it because it's BSU that's on our schedule and not AF.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

EM_Puma wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:Yesterday was almost huge. At one point FSU and A&m both trailed by double digits. But, alas, they pulled out the Ws. They are vulnerable but great teams pull out wins.
Yeah, but did we really want NCState being undefeated or Arkansas suddenly showing up in the top 25? That's my only problem with being in the top 25 with few games on our schedule that will bring us any lift. It takes some of the fun out of seeing teams win with an upset when that upset can spring them ahead of us. In a couple of weeks, upsets will be of more value when a 2-3 loss team takes down one of the ranked teams.

I was enjoying seeing AF attending BSU's self-implosion, but I couldn't totally enjoy it because it's BSU that's on our schedule and not AF.
next weekend should be very very good too
OU at TCU
Bama at Ole Miss
Arizona at Oregon (mostly because an Arizona loss keeps them out of the top 25)
A+M at Miss St
Auburn vs LSU
Baylor at Texas (okay just day dreaming here)
UCLA vs Utah (epic beatdown... let's hope... this one could ruin the entire weekend if Utah finds a way)
Michigan State vs Nebraska
Notre Dame vs Stanford
USC vs Arizona State
Ohio State vs Maryland (yes folks Maryland is in the Big 10 ahahahaha)

Next weekend could be the rankings equivalent of Moses parting the red sea.. in fact it should be... half of those teams are going to lose.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Somehow a bot has gotten passed the bot filters and is voting everyone down on this thread. It's not legitimate vote downs. I'll remove them eventually, just wanted to let everyone know.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Just read some tweets from the College Football playoff feed, and it looks like they're coming to Provo to watch the BYU-USU showdown! Way cool! Sooo...we continue to move up, they're going to be turmoil in the rankings ahead of us, and if we can going play after play, game after game, W after W toward undefeated...surely the formal college football playoff visitation means something?

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:Just read some tweets from the College Football playoff feed, and it looks like they're coming to Provo to watch the BYU-USU showdown! Way cool! Sooo...we continue to move up, they're going to be turmoil in the rankings ahead of us, and if we can going play after play, game after game, W after W toward undefeated...surely the formal college football playoff visitation means something?
It's just bread crumbs to the unwashed masses. It's make them look good when they choose to not have an undefeated BYU in any of the big games.

I have a sinking feeling it's going to be kind of like 1997 all over again.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
runbyu1
Sophomore

Post by runbyu1 »

hawkwing wrote:Somehow a bot has gotten passed the bot filters and is voting everyone down on this thread. It's not legitimate vote downs. I'll remove them eventually, just wanted to let everyone know.
I was wondering why people were hating on me for what seemed to be perfectly nice comments! :bug: