The Unthinkable Friday

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The Unthinkable Friday

Post by SpiffCoug »

vancouvercougar wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:I keep telling you knuckleheads that it is not about the win. It is about whether or not BYU has a convincing win. This should be a Cougar domi-Nation and either the players or Bronco will take their foot off the accelerator and it will be too close.
Again, I'm hoping after hearing the bye week hype of hard work that this team lives up to it, but their trend of two games in a row of accepting a W vs dominating, has me concerned.
YOu have to keep your foot on the accelerator with USU. If we have a 3 TD lead and give up a TD in the 4th quarter, the aggie fans will think they have won and flip us a double bird.
Failing to keep our foot on the accelerator against USU is, IMO, what derailed the 2008 season. They thought they were hot stuff. They went up 24-0 shortly after the 1st Quarter ended.

But they got outscored 14-10 the rest of the way. I think BYU quit playing hard. And it showed. They were on their way to 5-0 and had beat their last three opponents 137-14. They followed up the USU win with a very lackluster performance against UNM winning just 21-3. UNM finised 4-8.

Then came the TCU game and we laid a complete egg. We weren't nearly as good as we thought we were. Sure we had beaten the five previous opponed 184-44 but they finished with a combined 15 wins (none with more than four).

I think had we not taken our foot off the accelrator vs USU we would have played better against UNM and probably approaced the TCU game with a different mindset.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Spiff

Do you really think BYU underestimated TCU? IMHO, TCU was a much better team and took it to us. I worry about the opposite. When BYU puts a butt whoopin on WAC and MWC dregs over the years. The team and the fans erroneously assume they can roll over good teams as well.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Cougarbib wrote:Spiff

Do you really think BYU underestimated TCU? IMHO, TCU was a much better team and took it to us. I worry about the opposite. When BYU puts a butt whoopin on WAC and MWC dregs over the years. The team and the fans erroneously assume they can roll over good teams as well.

No, I don't think they underestimated TCU. But I think that BYU didn't approach that game with the right mindset. I think BYU thought they were all-world. That their "Quest for Perfection" was going to happen. They had smoked just about every team they had played going into that game. They were on a huge roll (146-17 over last four games) and didn't think TCU was gonig to be as good as them.

BYU had beaten TCU the last two times and won in Ft. Worth in 2006. I don't think they underestimated TCU as much as they overestimated how good they were and severely underestimated how much TCU wanted that game. BYU had bought into their hype.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

SpiffCoug wrote:

No, I don't think they underestimated TCU. But I think that BYU didn't approach that game with the right mindset. I think BYU thought they were all-world. That their "Quest for Perfection" was going to happen. They had smoked just about every team they had played going into that game. They were on a huge roll (146-17 over last four games) and didn't think TCU was gonig to be as good as them.

BYU had beaten TCU the last two times and won in Ft. Worth in 2006. I don't think they underestimated TCU as much as they overestimated how good they were and severely underestimated how much TCU wanted that game. BYU had bought into their hype.
I was at that TCU game. It felt like we played the entire game with a severe lack of urgency.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Jarhead wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:

I was at that TCU game. It felt like we played the entire game with a severe lack of urgency.
Remember that game. watched it in Houston with a big group of BYU supporters. Ugly night for BYU.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Spiff

This is what happened re TCU in 2008. Simple really. They were quite a bit better than BYU.

They beat Stanford and a highly ranked Boise State team that year in addition to beating BYU that season enroute to 11-2 record and #7 final ranking.

Sure they lost 2 games.

Utah beat them in a close game. Utah also beat BYU. Utah went undefeated and ranked #2 after slaughtering Alabama.

Oklahoma beat them. Oklahoma was ranked #2 at the time.

It was simple. TCU was a much better team.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

I don't think it was us taking our foot off the gas in 2008. It was at their place, and their fans got loud and ugly, and kept their team in it.

The TCU loss was something we should have seen coming, even back in 2007. Gary Patterson was gradually getting more talent and more experience with Anae's offense, and it showed. Look at the points TCU allowed us in regulation, from 2005 to 2010: 44, 31, 27, 7, 7, 3. And from 2008 onward, the TCU game was always by far our worst offensive output. They had that game circled every year, and tailored their schemes to defeat ours, and we didn't counter.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

redneckjedi wrote:I don't think it was us taking our foot off the gas in 2008. It was at their place, and their fans got loud and ugly, and kept their team in it.

The TCU loss was something we should have seen coming, even back in 2007. Gary Patterson was gradually getting more talent and more experience with Anae's offense, and it showed. Look at the points TCU allowed us in regulation, from 2005 to 2010: 44, 31, 27, 7, 7, 3. And from 2008 onward, the TCU game was always by far our worst offensive output. They had that game circled every year, and tailored their schemes to defeat ours, and we didn't counter.
correlate that to where the TCU defense was ranked each year and that trend will become clearer. TCU has not always been good. Then they started to get better and better and better against everyone. It is not like they lost to a bunch of bad teams and then rose up to upset BYU.

We did not beat anyone of note in 2008. We were not a great team. We were a good team with a soft schedule.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

Cougarbib wrote:We did not beat anyone of note in 2008. We were not a great team. We were a good team with a soft schedule.
You can say the exact same thing of TCU in 2008, with the lone exception of their bowl win over Boise, and the same thing about Boise with the lone exception of a win over a 3-loss Oregon team. Patterson knew exactly what Anae was going to do before he did it, and how to stop it. 6 teams on TCU's schedule scored more than we did, including UNLV, Air Force, and a 5-7 Stanford squad.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I officially hate you Yzzazz ;)