Rumors abound

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Rumors abound

Post by Cougarbib »

snoscythe wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:If I hated Tyson Hill, I would ask his very immediate family member to move her vehicle that is parked in my driveway as we speak.
I am storing a vehicle for a very close relative of his. It is not that complicated. I do not hate Taysom Hill. The guy is a stud. A class act. Perfect in almost every way. Not the deep ball, however, and occasionally runs it when he should have gotten it to someone else. I am glad he is on the team. I am glad he was the starter. Just knocked me for a loop when he went down. Just sickening. I hope recovers fully. I would love to see him starting for BYU again. He will be very successful in life. And he may yet improve long ball accuracy. He was and remains an incredible assets to BYU football. I hope I have resolved any confusion you may be having.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

stuckinbig10country wrote:
Gunk wrote:On 2nd down with 7 yards to go against a solid run defense, I question the call to run it.
Fair point, but the run/throw call may have come down to what Taysom read at the line.
once again, according to AFR, Hill changed the call at the line of scrimmage. AFR, stated that he was correct in doing so based on the coverage. It is a very good show. I DVR it every week.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Hill kept the ball, ran right at coverage, tried to push the tackler away and run around him to the outside, and the tackler almost rode him to the ground from the side and behind with arms wrapped high and legs tangled up as they came down in a heap. There never was open space and it was not a long run. He never should have kept it and there was nowhere to slide, therefore.

So it further proves my theory that had Hill been less strong and fast he would have been tackled sooner and in a less awkward manner and not gotten injured.

Curses! If only Taysom wasn't such a strong athlete!
I actually agree with this.

I think Taysom made the wrong read. (It wasn't as bad of read as it was a bad block by Kyle Johnson). In fact, Taysom frequently makes the wrong reads in both the running and passing game. His amazing athleticisim often bails out the bad decisions that he has made.

He has improved significantly in his overall decision making. I hope, if he comes back, we will see continued improvement in that area.

Mingjai
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mingjai »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Fido wrote:I don't know that buried on the depth chart of an NFL roster is a great place to develop and improve as a player. That is what college is for. I'd be surprised if this is the route he chooses. I'm downgrading that from shocked because he has had his college year ended twice in three years by injury and may not want to see what happens in a 4th before trying to earn some money.
I think Steve Young would disagree with you. Of course, Steve Young didn't have a completely reconstructed bionic left leg.
Steve Young was already a polished passer by the time he left BYU as evidenced by his 168.5 passer efficiency rating his senior, progressing from 110.6 and 140.0 his sophomore and junior years. While I'm sure he'll say he learned how to pass in the NFL, I don't think his adjustment to the NFL was any different than other decorated NCAA QBs. He was just stuck in development purgatory for his years in LA and Tampa.

If Taysom leaves, his PER progression will look like this: 122.4, 118.2, 142.8. It's like he's missing that additional year of development to get him over the hump. Whether he would really get the sort of development necessary to become an NFL QB from BYU's system or not is different question.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Fido wrote:I don't know that buried on the depth chart of an NFL roster is a great place to develop and improve as a player. That is what college is for. I'd be surprised if this is the route he chooses. I'm downgrading that from shocked because he has had his college year ended twice in three years by injury and may not want to see what happens in a 4th before trying to earn some money.
Signed,

Steve Young
Tom Brady
Doug Flutie
Ty Detmer (14 year career in NFL)
Kurt Warner

many others

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

The 142.8 is decent enough. Unfortunately, though, he only played 4.5 games in 2014. His first year was his next highest, but he only played the equivalent of 3 or do full games that year. 2013 was his lowest PER and that was over 13 games. So it will not look very good when consolidated. If h ed had stayed healthy, opportunities to fatten it up are on the horizon

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

So what is the rumor again?

IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

One question - and please understand that I am not a football expert by any stretch of the imagination:

Did BYU completely remove the pitch-out from their option plays? As Taysom was being tackled awkwardly on the play where his leg was broken, I was asking myself why he didn't pitch to what looked like an open man to his right.

Earlier in the season there were a number of very successful running plays where Taysom pitched out, sometimes using an overhand pass. Why didn't we see any pitch plays at all the last few games (I didn't see the Central Florida game, so I may be wrong here). Was this part of "simplifying the offense"?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

IowaCougar wrote:One question - and please understand that I am not a football expert by any stretch of the imagination:

Did BYU completely remove the pitch-out from their option plays? As Taysom was being tackled awkwardly on the play where his leg was broken, I was asking myself why he didn't pitch to what looked like an open man to his right.

Earlier in the season there were a number of very successful running plays where Taysom pitched out, sometimes using an overhand pass. Why didn't we see any pitch plays at all the last few games (I didn't see the Central Florida game, so I may be wrong here). Was this part of "simplifying the offense"?
That was Juergans open out wide behind the line of scrimmage. I thought we would see that overhand pitch come back vs UCF because I think Algie Brown is who they like to toss that to.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Umm, did Bibster just admit to an NCAA infraction in this thread?