UNR vs BYU game thread (positivity only)

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: UNR vs BYU game thread (positivity only)

Post by Brayden Green »

a1247 wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
a1247 wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:I would never, EVER cheer against my cougs but I do take solace in the fact that each loss gets us closer to a new coaching staff (which I don't think anyone can argue is necessary, at this point).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Not going to argue but I do want to know who you think is going to be coming thru the door that is going to do a better job? Hell they couldn't even find a friging new offensive coordinator. Face the cold hard fact that there's not many head coaching canadits out there with a temple recommend.
You mean to tell me that you know all of the LDS coaches in the D1 and D1aa ranks? None of us knew who Bronco was before he came to BYU , and he turned out to be pretty good. People that are getting paid do know of candidates, and moves will be made.

It is a weak argument in the first place. When in an abusive relationship the question "who are you going to find better than him, anyways?" Isn't really a strong argument.

The assumption there's someone else better out there is confusing to me. Why go with Anea why not go out there and bring in someone new when they had the chance? The selection is smaller than any of us want it be.
The devil you know. It is crunch time for BYU and they need wins for national prominence and to avoid being the 3rd best team in the state. They have neither. Experiment had failed. Time to recaibrate.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
a1247 wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
a1247 wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:I would never, EVER cheer against my cougs but I do take solace in the fact that each loss gets us closer to a new coaching staff (which I don't think anyone can argue is necessary, at this point).

Not going to argue but I do want to know who you think is going to be coming thru the door that is going to do a better job? Hell they couldn't even find a friging new offensive coordinator. Face the cold hard fact that there's not many head coaching canadits out there with a temple recommend.
You mean to tell me that you know all of the LDS coaches in the D1 and D1aa ranks? None of us knew who Bronco was before he came to BYU , and he turned out to be pretty good. People that are getting paid do know of candidates, and moves will be made.

It is a weak argument in the first place. When in an abusive relationship the question "who are you going to find better than him, anyways?" Isn't really a strong argument.

The assumption there's someone else better out there is confusing to me. Why go with Anea why not go out there and bring in someone new when they had the chance? The selection is smaller than any of us want it be.
The devil you know. It is crunch time for BYU and they need wins for national prominence and to avoid being the 3rd best team in the state. They have neither. Experiment had failed. Time to recaibrate.

I don't disagree with you but Bronco has never had a losing season and when he had a chance to "recalibrate" he went out and hired who? Again. I think that says a lot for what's out there right now.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

a1247 wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
a1247 wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
a1247 wrote:

I don't disagree with you but Bronco has never had a losing season and when he had a chance to "recalibrate" he went out and hired who? Again. I think that says a lot for what's out there right now.
That is IF you think that Anae was a Bronco hire. I'm not so sure about that. I think that Holmoe was hoping to right the offensive ship quickly and couple that with (what had been) top 5 defenses by Bronco.

It was the right call to fire (let go) Anae in the first place. Bringing him back was a mistake, to whomever receives that blame.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Re: UNR vs BYU positivity only game thread

Post by Cougarbib »

mizzoucoug wrote:So now that we're on 4th stringers does Blackmon get in the game or is going back to his JC?
Injured. Ankle. Seriously. Another ankle bites the dust. Things are so bad that Apo was in to drop a pass.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Wow - another loss. Just got back from a Zac Brown concert and checked to see who won the game. A tough year. Christian Stewart passed for 408 yds and 0 int. We should have won this game. What happened to the Defense?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I thought we had a yapping chihuahua rule limiting the number of posts by the same yapper repeating the same theme.

One of the yappers does at least have a bit of a point. The defense has given up over 30 points four games in a row. The defense is depleted by injuries, but not as depleted as the offense. 42 points. Too many.

The other yapper. The proprieter of the sour grape juice and bitter lemonade stand - the blue ostrich that puts his head in the sand or elsewhere so he cannot be seen by others......that yapper. Watches an OC take a QB making his 2nd start with a 5th string RB and a FB with no backups, and wide receivers absent Kurtz and Blackmon with others so banged up that even Apo was in, put up 400 yards passing, 600 total yards, 35 points, in spite of 3 fumbles and a missed field goal, and calls for a new offensive coordinator. He did not pull his head out even long enough to notice that the timeouts needed to make that comeback drive work were burned up largely by the defense. Having missed all of that, he calls, once again, to the surprise of no one, for a new OC in a thread that pleaded for positivity. As usual, yapper is certain that better candidates are out there, But has no clue whatsoever, who that might be.

Can't believe I got sucked into this thread expecting to see positivity. Nice try by a couple of posters, but the freight train of negativity soon overwhelmed them.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I was pleasantly surprised Anae took our qb strength against their D weakness. Although, why Anae went away from that fifth string RB Nate Carter is beyond me. Because he fumbled out of bounds? Anae was NOT the problem. Critical turnovers and an average D vs the best qb we have faced who wasn't going to lose.
But, worst of all, was the chronic problem BYI has had all season. They get a two TD lead and take the edge off, foot off, etc. Q3 was unacceptable. BYU simply does not have the leadership in players or coaches who want to put their foot on the neck of the opponent and bury them.
Finally, Bronco, has to Take back the D. It is not as much about play calling as he is the heart and soul of the D. He can simply get more out of his players than an assistant coach who the players know is a defacto DC. Bronco has to reinsert himself into the heart of this team, just like he did when he fired Jaime Hill. We'll see what happens this week.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Who implemented the go fast go hard offense at BYU, again? Who kept calling read option plays, when the important thing about a read option play is having a qb that both knows the offense, knows how to read the defense, and is a threat running to the outside?

There should have been exactly zero read option plays last night, and a lot fewer snaps from the pistol.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

It was 69-73 when I joined this blinded by bitterness party. That was the post count for the fire the DC poster and the fire the OC poster that started this thread 10-0. But they lost focus. Drifted off to watch other games. Even stfu for a while when the byu offense was clicking. Other posters were able to get a word in. Even a few positive comments. The bitter two tried to mount a comeback at the end, but just did not have the grit, focus, and execution to retake the lead.

Thanks A1247, Matty B, and others for diversifying the discussion.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

mizzoucoug wrote:It's fun watching BYU sling the ball around like they used to at least. We need a QB like CS going forward. The running first QB experiment has come to an end.
Too bad we don't recruit passing QBs anymore.

BYU football is becoming boring and irrelevant.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel