Bronco is not LaVell

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco is not LaVell

Post by hawkwing »

Schmoe wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:Again, the point of this thread is to say that Bronco can't afford to drift away from things like LaVell did. It's a new age. HCs are more intimately involved than when and wether to call a time out or to go for one or two and be a mentor/MP (I know he does a lot more). But if he thinks anyone can actually win the heart and keep the intensity of his D like himself, I think he might be fantasizing. I think he has to go back to DC.
I agree. Lavell's strength was finding great coaches and surrounding himself with them. Bronco's strength is his hands-on coaching. That's not to say that he's not a good head coach, I just think he should take on the DC responsibilities, as well; it seems to be where his teams have seen the most success.
I really wish Bronco was able to find and utilize great assistant coaches, so far that has not been the case. The only successful assistant coach he has had has been Robert Anae and most fans don't like him.

I think in some cases this is economic, BYU lacks the resources to hire great talent, but some of it also has to be Bronco.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

As good as Bronco is, I'm not so sure this D would be that much better with all the injuries. Correct me if I am wrong, but we are without our starting safeties, CB, best LB, yes? We have talent but aren't THAT deep. Plus we underestimated, at least I did, the loss of Van Noy and his pass rush and the tackling machine that was Unga, and the domination of Manu....Bronco would no doubt make a difference with more hands on effort but let's all step back a touch and not assume it would be that much of a difference.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Not much if anything has been said on here other than one person asking "where is Takitaki? "

He was the glimmer of hope that BYU might actually have a pass rush.

He was suspended Vs Nevada for disciplinary reasons. There went the pass rush.

He is back in good standing Vs BSU. Fua is probable as is our defensive leader - Bills. Langi has replaced Stout as starting Mike linebacker - beat him out. Williams is probable.

There are a few positives for the few posters that are interested in positives.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Cougarbib wrote:Not much if anything has been said on here other than one person asking "where is Takitaki? "

He is back in good standing Vs BSU. Fua is probable as is our defensive leader - Bills. Langi has replaced Stout as starting Mike linebacker - beat him out. Williams is probable.

Can you be "suspension happy"?

I'm beginning to wonder if part of the struggles on the field are because of off the field struggles. Where guys are too wound up because they're afraid of being suspended?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Not much if anything has been said on here other than one person asking "where is Takitaki? "

Can you be "suspension happy"?

I'm beginning to wonder if part of the struggles on the field are because of off the field struggles. Where guys are too wound up because they're afraid of being suspended?
You can't just drop discipline and rules though when injuries happen. It TT was suspended for skipping practice, well, that seems like a fair reason to suspend a guy on a healthy team, why not an injury plagued team?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm not saying discipline should be suspended, I just wonder if the team is wound too tight because the fear of suspension looms over anything and evening they do.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:I'm not saying discipline should be suspended, I just wonder if the team is wound too tight because the fear of suspension looms over anything and evening they do.
Maybe a glass of wine per night and a soak in a candlight tub is in order?

If being "wound too tight" is problem here, it's time for some of these guys to get their heads in the game and lose the distractions. honestly, I think that's half the battle (especially with the current team) is getting the correct mindset. As my junior high coach would say if he thought someone wasn't focused enough "QUIT LOOKING AT THE CHEERLEADERS!!"

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Heard a rumor from a friend that Bronco is going back to calling plays. We'll see.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

It has been spread around on rumor board but no substantiation. I suspect that it is not true.