I fully expect Bronco

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I fully expect Bronco

Post by NDCougar »

First, Bronco is not getting Charlie Strong money. There are only a few schools that would pay him that amount and I do not see Bronco going to: UT, USC, Alabama, ND etc nor do I see them even looking at him.

Second, teams that pay big would not hire him. They want to generate revenues and put butts in the seats. Do you really believe that any program that is a top 10-20 program gets excited to hire Bronco. Michigan will have an opening, they would go nuts if Bronco was hired to replace Hoke. Some goes for any other program. What has he done? How many BCS games has he lead BYU to? Has he coached any Heisman players? What big wins has he had (OU and one or two others)? He would need to be dominating the non-P5 space to move up (ex: Meyer - Utah, Strong - Louisville, Boise State - Peterson, Kelly - Cincinnati....the exception was Hoke, but he had strong ties to Michigan). Do you think big time programs get excited about beating bad teams year in and year out and having issues vs the big guys?

Third, is perceived nonchalant recruiting attitude does not fly at big schools. He would need to be on the road, meeting kids and building a pipeline. He did not want to recruit at UNM, at BYU he has the HC as a crutch and recruits those who are fits. He would get crushed at big time schools if he was not all in.

If Bronco went anywhere it would be a mid-tier P5 school. Think Oregon State, Iowa, Boston College etc. These guys are not paying up for Bronco.

Bronco is a good, slightly above average coach. He is not a big time coach who takes your program to the next level. He will beat who he is supposed to (with a loss everyone once in a while he should not lose) and he will lose to better team (with an upset every few years). He is not a guy you build a program around, that you know he will improve recruiting, put fans in the stand, take a team to an top 5 ranking.......these are the guys who get the money.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Bronco has turned down two Pac 12 jobs in the last 3 years. I don't think he turns down the next big offer he gets. If he's going to put up with idiots (like many in our fanbase), he'll do it for 3 to 4 million, not 2.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

First. Is anyone certain he gets $2M now? BYU does not publish that information. A <$1M figure was assumed a decade ago based on what Whitt got at Utah after telling BYU no.

No doubt, he has gotten raises since then. Anyone have a documented figure?

I do know SMU coughed up $2.3M for June Jones about 4 or 5 years ago. SMU.

Back to what LV said, after you make so much money, for many people, more money becomes 5th on the priority list. Now an opportunity to prove you self on a bigger stage - that might do it for some people, much moreso, than the money that would come with it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
NDCougar
Sophomore

Post by NDCougar »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Bronco has turned down two Pac 12 jobs in the last 3 years. I don't think he turns down the next big offer he gets. If he's going to put up with idiots (like many in our fanbase), he'll do it for 3 to 4 million, not 2.
What jobs did he turn down? Source? What contract was he offered?

My guess you heard this from someone who is a good "source" and in actuality there was an opening that his name was mentioned around without an interview taking place nor a real offer.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

NDCougar wrote: Do you really believe that any program that is a top 10-20 program gets excited to hire Bronco.
Yes I do. Bronco Mendenhall is far more competitive than you give him credit for.

NDCougar
Sophomore

Post by NDCougar »

Ddawg wrote:
NDCougar wrote: Do you really believe that any program that is a top 10-20 program gets excited to hire Bronco.
Yes I do. Bronco Mendenhall is far more competitive than you give him credit for.
Not close, Bronco is not a sought after commodity for top 20 programs. He may be rumored to be looked at somewhere but most programs would be outraged if Bronco were hired....what if UT, USC, Washington had hired Bronco last year, fans would be outraged. What if Bronco were hired at Michigan or Florida this offseason, fans are outraged. He would go to a lateral move to P5 school.

Out of the list below please tell me what programs are excited to get BM as a coach:

ND
USC
Oregon
Stanford (maybe, they don't care much for sports)
UCLA
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Ohio State
Michigan
Nebraska
Penn State
Georgia
Tennessee
Alabama
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Georgia Tech
Arkansas

I don't see it? The vast majority are up in arms if they hire BM. An up and coming coach from mid-tier school pounding on the BCS doorstep is what big time programs and boosters want.

Maybe programs like the following BM would be a hire: WSU, Iowa, Iowa State, BC etc.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Bronco said himself one year that he turned down an offer from a Pac 12 team (it was UCLA by the way, one of the programs on your list).

He also turned down the Colorado job, and that one he said by name. He was heavily linked to this job for awhile. He said he wasn't contacted by them at that time. After one candidate turned them down, he said at that point he did talk to them, but turned it down.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

NDCougar wrote:
Ddawg wrote:
Not close, Bronco is not a sought after commodity for top 20 programs. He may be rumored to be looked at somewhere but most programs would be outraged if Bronco were hired....what if UT, USC, Washington had hired Bronco last year, fans would be outraged. What if Bronco were hired at Michigan or Florida this offseason, fans are outraged. He would go to a lateral move to P5 school.

Out of the list below please tell me what programs are excited to get BM as a coach:

ND
USC
Oregon
UCLA
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Ohio State
Michigan
Nebraska
Penn State
Georgia
Tennessee
Alabama
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Georgia Tech
Arkansas

I don't see it? The vast majority are up in arms if they hire BM. An up and coming coach from mid-tier school pounding on the BCS doorstep is what big time programs and boosters want.

Maybe programs like the following BM would be a hire: WSU, Iowa, Iowa State, BC etc.
Plus some national radio honk (believe it was Cowherd) spent an entire segment about how Michigan should throw whatever they can at Bronco to get him to come.

NDCougar
Sophomore

Post by NDCougar »

stuckinbig10country wrote:
NDCougar wrote:
Ddawg wrote:

ND
USC
Oregon
UCLA
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Ohio State
Michigan
Nebraska
Penn State
Georgia
Tennessee
Alabama
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Georgia Tech
Arkansas

Plus some national radio honk (believe it was Cowherd) spent an entire segment about how Michigan should throw whatever they can at Bronco to get him to come.
Recently? It has been a while.

NDCougar
Sophomore

Post by NDCougar »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Bronco said himself one year that he turned down an offer from a Pac 12 team (it was UCLA by the way, one of the programs on your list).

He also turned down the Colorado job, and that one he said by name. He was heavily linked to this job for awhile. He said he wasn't contacted by them at that time. After one candidate turned them down, he said at that point he did talk to them, but turned it down.

There was no offer. Huge difference in an offer and inquiry. That was years ago and an inquiry. During a typical process a school may put out feelers to 5+ guys. He would have been a back-up to the back-up. Also this was years ago. The past few years are not favorable to BM.

Do you believe either school sends out offers without interviews. Again a sending an inquiry is very different from an offer. That is a typical process. I have seen this first hand at ND and they reached out to a handful of people, many to get press involved and to create a stir and put pressure on the guy they want. I confidently tell BM was never offered a job at either school and his stock is way down.