I fully expect Bronco

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

I fully expect Bronco

Post by stuckinbig10country »

to go Rocky Long in his farewell press conference when he resigns. I believe we'll get someone who's a better coach than Long's replacement at UNM, but I doubt whoever comes next wins 70% of their games...because winning 70% of your games is hard.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: I fully expect Bronco

Post by Ddawg »

stuckinbig10country wrote:to go Rocky Long in his farewell press conference when he resigns. I believe we'll get someone who's a better coach than Long's replacement at UNM, but I doubt whoever comes next wins 70% of their games...because winning 70% of your games is hard.
Damn straight. Considering the recruiting challenges due to a strict church school, talent pool, Honor Code, and lack of continuity because of missions created at BYU that other HC's do not face, Bronco has been spectacular. That is not hyperbole. Bronco is a strong, top notch HC. IMHO.

Screamineagle
Freshman

Post by Screamineagle »

Ddawg wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:to go Rocky Long in his farewell press conference when he resigns. I believe we'll get someone who's a better coach than Long's replacement at UNM, but I doubt whoever comes next wins 70% of their games...because winning 70% of your games is hard.
Damn straight. Considering the recruiting challenges due to a strict church school, talent pool, Honor Code, and lack of continuity because of missions created at BYU that other HC's do not face, Bronco has been spectacular. That is not hyperbole. Bronco is a strong, top notch HC. IMHO.
And when he goes some where else maybe then everyone will realize what was lost.I will certainly miss him. I hope he stays but really why stay and deal with all the crap?Bronco has done an admirable job with all the limitations he deals with.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Bronco is an elite defensive coordinator and playcaller. I don't think that he is an elite coach. He is a very good coach, and he is at record lows. Is this a slump, or something more? That is the question.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Bronco can got to a number of schools and easily double his wage. Stacked up against other NCAA Div. 1 HC's, Bronco's wage is #59 at $2 mill per year. Charlie Strong at Texas, who Bronco beat decisively, his salary is #2 at $5 mill per year.

Personally, I think Bronco has every right to move on and cash in. It will be a very sad day for Coug football. Once gone, the magnitude of how good Bronco is will become evident.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Why do we expect Bronco to leave? He seems to like coaching here. I'm sure he realizes that any top tier school willing to pay him top dollar isn't going to put up with football 5th and I doubt he and his wife would want to go back to a football first mentality. $2 million a year is still a lot of money. No other fan base will be any nicer or less critical than here. Another school may not have the recruiting limitations, HC or missions to deal with, but other programs have their own discipline and behavior problems to deal with. If I'm making 2million a year at BYU, have free run of the place and can skate by with 8-10 win seasons, I don't move my family and start over for $4 million. What's he going to Buy with the extra $2 Million? He already lives by family, where he is from and has his family settled.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Bronco is 48 right now. His current contract will end when he's 50 (right around there).

I could see him taking a 5 year contract with the guaranteed money somewhere that would pay big, give that a shot, and if he fails, he never has to work again if he doesn't want to. He'd make more money on that 5 year contract than he would at BYU over 15 more years. He wouldn't fail though, and would probably coach until he was 60.

The only hitch in this plan is Bronco really hates recruiting (although he's an excellent closer). When he left UNM to come to BYU one of the conditions to him coming was that he didn't have to do any off campus recruiting (ie, no trips to far off places to beg a kid to come, but if a kid came for a visit he'd do his pitch then).

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Overall, I like Bronco and I think we're luck to have him. Hope he stays.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't think he can or should change a few things.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

BYULV wrote: I don't move my family and start over for $4 million. What's he going to Buy with the extra $2 Million?.
Really? You don't move to coach at a dream school? To receive an additional $2 mill + a year? Folks in the corporate world move all the time for far less. Remember, Charlie Strong is a 1st year coach at UT. He's stared at $5 mill per year. That would be a $3 mill per year increase. Not too shabby.

What's he going to buy? It's called retirement. It's called creating a nest egg for your family - your kids - education - home purchasing - etc.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Ddawg wrote:
BYULV wrote: I don't move my family and start over for $4 million. What's he going to Buy with the extra $2 Million?.
Really? You don't move to coach at a dream school? To receive an additional $2 mill + a year? Folks in the corporate world move all the time for far less. Remember, Charlie Strong is a 1st year coach at UT. He's stared at $5 mill per year. That would be a $3 mill per year increase. Not too shabby.

What's he going to buy? It's called retirement. It's called creating a nest egg for your family - your kids - education - home purchasing - etc.
I'm just saying for me I could live happily on $2 million a year, living where I want and in control of my life versus $4 million a year living somewhere I don't really want to be with increased pressure and more work hours. Why sell away lifestyle? If everything else is equal, of course I'd take the $4 million. . . But they're not equal.