Colorado State @6-1 Beat USU in Ft. Collins 16-13

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Colorado State @6-1 Beat USU in Ft. Collins 16-13

Post by Cougarbib »

Compare and contrast. A few emo posters on here derided USU for losing to CSU. May not have noticed that CSU is 6-1 and probably better than Nevada and UCONN and as good as BSU, USU, Houston, UCF, and Texas.

They did to USU what USU did to us, but later in the game. Knocked out the QB. Surgery Required. That is the second USU QB to go down. But, though he shred BYU early and often, he was not able to do that Vs CSU before his injury. Neither could the next guy up. What's with that? 13 points. How many did our defense give them? What's with that?

The CSU offense was healthy. It only scored 1 TD on that USU defense. Luckily, their special teams made 3 field goals. What's with that? How many points did BYU'S crippled offense score vs USU? More than 16.

What's with that?

Found it.

BYU 20 USU 35
CSU 16 USU 13

The crippled BYU offense was not the problem. CSU has a better defense and better special teams play at this time than BYU has - Conversely, BYU seems to have a better offense than CSU even when it was at its most crippled point in the season.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Colorado State @6-1 Beat USU in Ft. Collins 16-13

Post by BroncoBot »

ARe you saying you have to execute on both sides of the ball?? If so, I totally agree.
What happened to the days when BYU was beating USU 6-3 (even missing pats), What happened to BYU only losing to BSU because a crippled riley nelson threw a pick six to a noseguard? It's almost unbelievable how far BYU defense has fallen in such a short time. I really want to like Howell at DC to give Bronco more room to do his thing and spread his intensity around the rest of the team, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out that way.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Last season, the defense held every team accept 3 to under 24 points/game. The standard Bronco says the defense should be playing at. So far this season, the defense has only held 2 teams under 24 points. So the defense isn't living up to Bronco's expectations.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Yes, the D is down. But why wouldn't it be? 4-5 NFL or near NFL talented guys are gone.
KVN, DannyS, Unga, throw in Manu and Hadley (his loss was certainly felt after injured).

But consider this, to the OP, BYU could be 0-3 vs MWC teams by end of week. BYU could be the fourth best team in the MWC, or with all these injuries, even the 5th place team. Scary.
And BYU fans are longing for the Babylon12? Good luck with that. Oh but at least We will have the slim chance (in din 20 years) chance of winning the conference.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Yes, the D is down. But why wouldn't it be? 4-5 NFL or near NFL talented guys are gone.
KVN, DannyS, Unga, throw in Manu and Hadley (his loss was certainly felt after injured).

But consider this, to the OP, BYU could be 0-3 vs MWC teams by end of week. BYU could be the fourth best team in the MWC, or with all these injuries, even the 5th place team. Scary.
And BYU fans are longing for the Babylon12? Good luck with that. Oh but at least We will have the slim chance (in din 20 years) chance of winning the conference.
IMO, if BYU doesn't do something "special" before their contract expires with ESPN, it'll be back to the MWC for us...assuming they'll have us.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk, I don't understand why everyone believes ESPN will drop BYU. And why wouldn't BYU just do their own TVing. Who else would ESPN sign up? All the big teams now have their own networks. I feel that ESPN needs BYU as bad as BYU needs ESPn.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

It is all about viewership. Just the last two weeks, they hot an overtime game and a see saw battle with a near comeback. Those type games hold viewers better than 50-10 beatdowns. Earlier, we had a borderline Heisman candidate.

Not sure how viewership held up, but that is what matters.

Further, objective people not mired in their own emotions about their team, have no difficulty understanding why the wheels have fallen off and know that they will bounce back.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote:Gunk, I don't understand why everyone believes ESPN will drop BYU. And why wouldn't BYU just do their own TVing. Who else would ESPN sign up? All the big teams now have their own networks. I feel that ESPN needs BYU as bad as BYU needs ESPn.
I don't think they will drop us. It just won't be as lucrative a contract and they'll show fewer games (exposure). If the money drops as well as the exposure - a big deal to BOT - then it may make more sense for BYU to back pedal into the MWC again.

BYU doesn't make nearly the same amount of money or exposure airing games on BYUtv as they do on ESPN. Those commercials for St. George, emergency preparedness kits, and law firm commercials on BYUtv can't bank roll the BYU football program. Maybe BYUtv could get Tahitian Noni to run some commercials...

BYU is 4 - 3. And despite how entertaining the games are we're not getting nearly as many viewers as we would if we were 7 - 0. Unless you're a fan of BYU or the opposing team, you aren't watching the games.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

#1. Espn does not NEED BYU.
#2 BYUtv <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<, ESPN in revenue, viewership, etc, etc.
BYUtv would be great except who watches BYUtv?? And don't give me this whole available to 20 gazillion people nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I love most of what BYUtv brings, along with several of its original productions including, Stan riding his history bike, StudioC, AFR, even BYUsports nation (when I can listen or watch DVR); women's and men's Vball, Men's BBall, and of course, the Fball game replays--BUT, lest any of you think that BYU would draw a lot of non Mormon fans as it can on espn, you are totally fooled.
#3. BYUtv << All the other conference and big team networks". Not bashing BYUtv, but for football, forget about it, other than that weekly opponent.
#4. Better Viewership = better advertising (and advertisers and ESPN know the numbers, absolutely). Better advertising = better revenues to Espn and higher ROI. IT MATTERS.
BYU went from approximating BOOM status with undefeated brewing, Heisman climbing, and playoff busting intrigue to now a near total BUST to irrelevancy. No more station upgrades from espnu to espn. No more nada. Bungling, buried, BUST.
It does matter and if BYU doesn't right the ship, we will be lucky to be reconsidered by the MWC instead of solidly knocking on the door of the Big babylon12--where BYU could contentedly settle in the basement, where it's people could be happy merely not having to face the smug, pathetic Utah/Pac10 smack down; "happy" to get its big chunky check; and happy for its mythical chance and most improbable likelihood and pathway to a Conference championship and playoff birth.
All that would be better however, than canceling the football and sports programs, which without espn nor a favorable tv contract amenable MWC would bring demise to BYU sports.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougs_Rule wrote:... which without espn nor a favorable tv contract amenable MWC would bring demise to BYU sports.
I agree to an extent with everything you've written except this last part. I don't think BYU shuts down their sporting programs. Even if they are terrible and everyone quits watching, I believe the BOT wants sports at BYU and recognize the importance of keeping sports at BYU. And besides, the sky isn't falling.