Stevenson article

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Stevenson article

Post by mizzoucoug »

He pulls no punches toward Bronco. I don't know if he's just an embarrassed fan or if he is bitter about not getting a coaching gig at some point. But it's quite a write-up.

http://lawlessrepublic.com/2014/10/24/o ... r-opinion/

EM_Puma
Pro

Re: Stevenson article

Post by EM_Puma »

"Many of us former players don’t really know how to even discuss the elevation of one of your “yes-man minions” to the position of BYU Football Defensive Coordinator. It sounds like a joke. It’s a crying shame. It’s as if you’ve done the opposite of what LaVell used to do. LaVell promoted coaches to coordinator positions only if they were better coaches than him. Like any good CEO he wanted to be surrounded by those people who were smarter than he was. He would hire coaches that could out coach him, and it would raise the team to greatness. Your insecurities pushed LaVell-era greats like Rob Morris, Ben Cahoon and Brandon Doman out the door, because you want to promote guys to positions of leadership that failed at coaching high school ball and would never be seen as better than you."

It was Stevenson's last comment about BM doing his hires only because he wanted to promote guys that failed at coaching high school that lost me and when I quit reading the article. Come on. Really? BM purposely selects those that fail as HS coaches?

I'm as frustrated as the next guy. I see a big problem in the fact that few of BM's staff seem to go on to be promoted in other programs. I agree, you always should try to hire someone better than you were and surround yourself with those folks. Yes there is turnover and that is a stress of coaching, but I don't see how you are successful under BM's model, but please, Stevenson, don't make stupid comments just because you're frustrated.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Too many effects of drugs and anger over the years.
But his biggest whopper is suggesting that Kilani is the solution.
But hes right about Howell. And again, Howells DB unit has suffered in his absence in a year they should have been dominant, especially pre-injuries. I like Howell, i think and have said he was cut from the same cloth as Bronco, but it looks more like he was cut from the Bronco leftover cloth as a non-player and a bad high school coach.
And by the way, another of "LaVells guys", BDoman, a guy with a solid coaching pedigree and even some back-up time in the NFL, was a near disaster.
Still, Take out some of the irrational and vitriolic words and Derek's message carries much more credibility. too bad. could havebeen a good piece. Instead he reinforces himself as the crazy addict in recovery who is still just angry and lawless.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I like watching Derek annoy Ute fans, but he's pretty far off base on this. He subscribes to the fallacy that everybody he played with is a football genius, and everyone that has played since is a moron, he was attacking Andrew Rich last night on twitter.

The fact of the matter is, if we want to get better, we need to stop looking to former BYU players as potential coaches, and start looking for established or up and coming coaches with little or no previous affiliation with BYU. Our very weakest link right now is Kelly Poppinga, a former player, and coach of our 2 biggest problem areas.

But I wouldn't expect much more from the group at lawless, they hate that BYU tries to be more than just football and would remove any Mormon affiliation if they could, much like TCU has dropped the Christian act.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I would argue our weakest coach I'd on the defensive line in coach Kaufusi

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

There are a few things going on here concerning Derik.

First, he (like a lot of other former players) do not feel "welcomed" by current regime. So, I actually kind of understand that part of the the frustration. However, when Bronco was welcoming, he got burned several times by several players. So I also understand Bronco's side of this. The atmosphere at Utah is different from my understanding, but I'm not sure which is more conducive to winning.

Second, Derik's buddy Sitake wants to be at BYU. I don't know how that sits with KWhitt. The only way Kilani moves to BYU from Utah is if he's the head coach. Personally, if Bronco could get Kilani to come be the D coordinator, but run Bronco's scheme, that would be the best fit, but Kilani isn't moving from a DC job at a Pac 12 school to be a DC at BYU.

Third, there is a false perception out there among former players and some members of the media that BYU has been able to or should be able to get other coaches to come in and have BYU not be their first time as an OC or DC. That is just plain false. Go back throughout the history of good BYU football. All of Lavell's coordinators were first timers except for maybe one (the guy who ended up coaching SDSU). The only two exceptions I can think of over the last 42 years as BYU not being the first place for the jobs they came to BYU for: Gary Crowton (La Tech HC) and Bronco Mendenhall (OSU, UNM DC).

The arguments against Bronco Mendenhall are for the most part weak. Especially if the best we can come up with to actually replace him is Kilani Sitaki. Derik is just a bitter former player that wants the access his buddy has promised him.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:I would argue our weakest coach I'd on the defensive line in coach Kaufusi

This year or every year? Seems like DL has been a strength in the past and this year is an aberration.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

There are several valid points mixed in with an emotional outburst that wrecks the value of the valid points because they get lost in the barrage. Throw in a couple of cuss words and extreme descriptions of Book von Mormon figures, and he alienates much of his target audience.

A couple of days ago, I started to post a thread of things for Bronco to ponder, but my phone died before I hit send, and I did not have time to start over. This article hit on a few of the things I would have posted. My post would have been made in a supportive mode. I love Sitake, but would be far from ready to hand the HC reins to him at BYU.

The first time I started to reply to Hawk on this thread re "Christian Schools", my phone went dead before I hit send.

So maybe I should avoid this topic, or make sure my phone is charged before I start typing.

The way this was presented was unprofessional, offensive, and unnecessarily attacking in nature with some valid points.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I think he has some valid points, despite the ranting.

I like the idea of doing firesides in the off season. I see why Bronco does it during the season because the team is traveling and he's then able to do the firesides in those cities and spread the word. But, I can see how it would be a distraction.

Our in-state record sucks and it is very telling of Bronco. Our record against teams with winning records also sucks, especially if we're claiming to be on par with the P5.

Not impressed with Howell at all. I can see how it would affect recruiting. This could change, assuming Howell and the defensive improves.

We hardly send anybody to the NFL, particularly on offense. That may change if Anae can get the offense rolling again, but with the exception of Hoffman (didn't make an NFL team despite breaking BYU records) our best players on offense keep ending up in crutches.

BYU football is not getting better. At best, we've plateaued and it isn't a very high plateau. Using the last 5 years as a barometer, Bronco does not appear to be the one to get us to a higher plateau.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Derek Stevenson is a bitter tool who has a vendetta against Bronco, which leads him to blame Bronco for things Stevenson knows can't be laid at Bronco's feet.

When Anae came back, he got 100% control over his offensive staff. Anae is the one responsible for dumping Ben Cahoon and Brandon Doman, not Bronco. It's only because of Bronco that Doman has remained a friend of the program--Bronco wanted Doman to stay on as QB coach, but Anae almost got the athletic department mired in a scandal when he fired Doman with an ill-advised email that obviously did not go through Bronco, Holmoe, or any of the proper HR and legal channels a termination email should go through.

All that said, I don't think there a very strong argument that Jason Beck is worse as a QB coach than Doman, nor is there a very strong argument that Guy Holliday is worse than Ben Cahoon in coaching receivers. Nor is there a very good argument that Doman was a better OC than Anae is now. If anything, I think the stronger argument is that the offense in general and QB and WR play in particular have improved under Anae/Beck/Holliday compared to Doman/Cahoon. Trying to use that line of attack to demonstrate Bronco needs to go sounds more like "he didn't keep my friends!!!!" than "he made a poor staffing decision"