Fixing

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fixing

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:C-Stew has been marginal at best. In fact, I think he's been wildly inconsistent. I'll dig into the numbers but I think in his three starts he's had one good quarter and three poor ones.
And who is going to replace him? he's average to slightly above passer who has had little to no time to let things develop for the most part. I'm just saying, you're not going to find a better QB for 2014 at BYU. I haven't been blown away by CS's play either. i'm sure his stats aren't the best BYU has even seen. BUT, I'll repeat what I said before, if the defense was playing even average defense BYU would probably still be undefeated.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Screamineagle wrote:I am interested in ideas for fixing things lets hear them. Dont just say Fire the coaches.What would you do if you could? What would you do if you were the Coaches?
Bronco takes over the defense completely again. Recommits them similar to what he did in 2010, simple as that.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:C-Stew has been marginal at best. In fact, I think he's been wildly inconsistent. I'll dig into the numbers but I think in his three starts he's had one good quarter and three poor ones.
And who is going to replace him? he's average to slightly above passer who has had little to no time to let things develop for the most part. I'm just saying, you're not going to find a better QB for 2014 at BYU. I haven't been blown away by CS's play either. i'm sure his stats aren't the best BYU has even seen. BUT, I'll repeat what I said before, if the defense was playing even average defense BYU would probably still be undefeated.
If our defense was playing even half as good as it has the last 3 years, we would be either undefeated or 1 loss against USU, maybe BSU.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BroncoBot wrote:
We don't have a better option this year. And there is no one on the roster that can be groomed for next year.

I fear next year is going to be another long year for the Cougars'. They are going to be relying on a QB that is coming off of MAJOR ankle surgery that may or may not be ready for the season. OR they're going to be hoping a QB currently NOT on the roster can come in and quickly pick up an offense they haven't run before.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
We don't have a better option this year. And there is no one on the roster that can be groomed for next year.

I fear next year is going to be another long year for the Cougars'. They are going to be relying on a QB that is coming off of MAJOR ankle surgery that may or may not be ready for the season. OR they're going to be hoping a QB currently NOT on the roster can come in and quickly pick up an offense they haven't run before.
And playing arguably the most demanding schedule in school history.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I know I'm still somewhat disappointed in the current season, but I'm very afraid of what 2015 might bring. But looking at the schedule today, there could be as 8 or 9 losses next year.

(8.4x
..................ATT
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I am convinced that this years issues are 100% on the defense. Even if Taysom Hill doesn't blow up his ankle in the USU game we still lose at least 2 of these 4 losses(if not still lose all 4). The defense is simply broke. I can't blame injuries because in 2010 the defense sustained a bunch of injuries and Bronco got younger players ready and they dominated(after firing Hill). In fact Bronco got that defense ready in 1 week and it dominated for the rest of the season. The problem is defensive coaching. Bronco should have never stepped away from the defense. As long as Bronco is the Dcoordinator, we play good defense. The 2 times he has stepped away from the defense, our defense has sucked. Keep howell as the secondary coach if he can do that job and do it well, but Bronco needs to be the dcoordinator.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I think the Taysom injury broke the team's collective will and confidence.

Sure there were deficiencies on the Defense and the defensive players likely knew it. But they knew that if they failed that Taysom and the offense had their back. And even though the offense has struggled in long stretches of games since the injury and have played well enough to win all but the USU game, the Defense doesn't have that same confidence in the offense.

So they press. So they freeze with indecision. This team lost its identity and leader.

(8.4x
..................ATT
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Hill was this teams identity. They didn't need to come together. If the OL broke down, no worries, Hill would make it work. If the defense gave up some points, no worries, Hill would go get some more.

I like what the offense is doing right now - involving lots of players, even a TE!

As far as fixes, first and foremost, Howell goes and they bring in a legit DB coach. Holmoe makes the final call on who they bring in because Bronco cleary has issues when it comes to spotting coaching talent.

Fire the athletic trainer. Whatever that person is doing is resulting in high ankle sprains left and right.

Go get a Juco QB from a system that resembles ours as much as possible.

Bag GFGH. It hasn't given us any sort of edge. I'm fine mixing it in every now and then to keep opponents off balance but GFGH all the time isn't doing anything for us.

Use every minute of allocated practice time. I don't care if its in the morning or the afternoon, every minute that players can practice they should be practicing.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:I know I'm still somewhat disappointed in the current season, but I'm very afraid of what 2015 might bring. But looking at the schedule today, there could be as 8 or 9 losses next year.
on paper it looks like a brutal schedule. BUT, i'll wait for next year to unfold before I start shiverin' in me boots.