Fixing

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fixing

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:]
If we're down 21-0 it's not just because the D is giving up points, it's because the O isn't scoring either.

Against Boise, the Offense had three 3-and-outs and a fumbled punt before they go going. That's been the only game where the Cougars got beat from the start.

Against Nevada, they scored on their 2nd drive - it was their scoreless 3rd quarter (due to fumbles and missed FGs) that lost that game.

Against UCF they started the game scoreless through five drives before figuring things out to a degree with a FG on drive six. But the defense held UCF to 10 early points and then nothing until the 4th when the offense again stalled, killed themselves with fumbles and special teams gave up big returns and momentum.

It's WHEN the offense is failing that's doing the team in just as much as when the defense is failing - which was the entire Boise game.
Field position, off the top of my head, has been terrible this year, A lot of 3 and outs with byu pinned deep which leads to a big put return and scoring opportunities for opponents. In year past that also occurred, this year teams have capitalized. Even getting 30-40 yards out of a drive and forcing your opponent to drive that much further is huge. (despite what jvquarterback believes about FP and 4th downs)

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BroncoBot wrote:Field position, off the top of my head, has been terrible this year, A lot of 3 and outs with byu pinned deep which leads to a big put return and scoring opportunities for opponents.
II think you're misplacing blame by putting ANY on our punting unit--they're tops in the nation if Bills is on the field. BYU has only allowed 3 punt returns longer than 10 yards this season. They gave up 32 and 29 yarders to UCF, and a 20 yarder to UNR. Other than that, they've only given up returns of 10, 9, 7 (three times), 6, 2, 1, and -1 yards on 12 punts with returns. Every other punt was downed, OOB, fair-caught, or a touchback. BYU's punt coverage has been fantastic this year, mostly due to Arellano and Bills. Note that the 3 returns over 10 yards all came in games where Bills was not on punt coverage. Even our kick return defense has been good--#25 in the nation this year, with our kick return team coming in at #47. Not to say there's not room for improvement, but those units are probably our better performing units.

As for field position, you have something there. Here's how it's panned out over the season (avg starting position):

1) UCONN 28.33 yard line, BYU = 21.33
2) BYU = 40.8 yard line, Texas 26.9
3) Houston = 35 yard line, BYU = 26.9
4) BYU = 43.23 yard line, Virginia = 24.0
5) USU = 31.1 yard line, BYU = 29.1
6) UCF = 35.5 yard line, BYU = 32.9
7) UNR = 38.1 yard line, BYU = 21.7
8 ) BSU = 28.1 yard line, BYU = 23.3

Overall: Opponents = 30.9 yard line, BYU = 30.4 yard line

My take away is that, while overall it's about even, BYU has only won the field position battle in 2 games--and those two games skew the average for the other 6 as BYU was ahead in those games by 13.9 and 18.23 yards. I attribute that to (1) a -4 turnover margin on the year (tied for 23rd worst in NCAA), (2) the offense's dismal number of 3-and-outs, and (3) the defense's inability to force 3-and-outs. Special teams play a part in field position, but the only reason Arellano has had so many booming punts this season is because he's frequently punting from inside our own 30 when the offense stalls out without getting first downs or goes backwards with penalties.

Field position has sucked, but I put that onus on O and D, not special teams.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Here is how we can get depth at QB (and it's the same way we got depth in the past)...we take QBs no one else wants and have them compete for the job.

It's a little different reasoning now. Back in the Wilson, McMahon, Young, and Bosco days, so few places were actually throwing the ball, we got our choice of QBs that wanted to throw it. What's hurt us recently is we actually have been recruiting or getting through transfer really highly rated QBs.

Our dearth at QB is because BYU got Heaps (the number one recruit), and couldn't get people to come in after he committed (one of the reasons Hill went to Stanford first). Then Hill transfers in. Then we get a commitment from Mangum.

Recruits are seeing that they are not likely to get a shot with those names already on board. Sure, Heaps flamed out, but by the time we knew that, it was his Soph year. Had Harbaugh not left Stanford, and had Heaps not left, we don't get Hill.

So the answer to getting depth is to not get the big names, hope for great development of multiple players, and then keep doing that. Or get into a P5 conference where people may be willing to sit on the bench in hopes the higher recruit flames out.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We need to recruit QBs that can throw. None of this dual QB junk.

Would love it if we ran an offense like Leach runs. Imagine an offense like that with a Bronco defense. Sigh...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:Field position, off the top of my head, has been terrible this year, A lot of 3 and outs with byu pinned deep which leads to a big put return and scoring opportunities for opponents.
II think you're misplacing blame by putting ANY on our punting unit--they're tops in the nation if Bills is on the field. BYU has only allowed 3 punt returns longer than 10 yards this season. They gave up 32 and 29 yarders to UCF, and a 20 yarder to UNR. Other than that, they've only given up returns of 10, 9, 7 (three times), 6, 2, 1, and -1 yards on 12 punts with returns. Every other punt was downed, OOB, fair-caught, or a touchback. BYU's punt coverage has been fantastic this year, mostly due to Arellano and Bills. Note that the 3 returns over 10 yards all came in games where Bills was not on punt coverage. Even our kick return defense has been good--#25 in the nation this year, with our kick return team coming in at #47. Not to say there's not room for improvement, but those units are probably our better performing units.

As for field position, you have something there. Here's how it's panned out over the season (avg starting position):

1) UCONN 28.33 yard line, BYU = 21.33
2) BYU = 40.8 yard line, Texas 26.9
3) Houston = 35 yard line, BYU = 26.9
4) BYU = 43.23 yard line, Virginia = 24.0
5) USU = 31.1 yard line, BYU = 29.1
6) UCF = 35.5 yard line, BYU = 32.9
7) UNR = 38.1 yard line, BYU = 21.7
8 ) BSU = 28.1 yard line, BYU = 23.3

Overall: Opponents = 30.9 yard line, BYU = 30.4 yard line

My take away is that, while overall it's about even, BYU has only won the field position battle in 2 games--and those two games skew the average for the other 6 as BYU was ahead in those games by 13.9 and 18.23 yards. I attribute that to (1) a -4 turnover margin on the year (tied for 23rd worst in NCAA), (2) the offense's dismal number of 3-and-outs, and (3) the defense's inability to force 3-and-outs. Special teams play a part in field position, but the only reason Arellano has had so many booming punts this season is because he's frequently punting from inside our own 30 when the offense stalls out without getting first downs or goes backwards with penalties.

Field position has sucked, but I put that onus on O and D, not special teams.
I wasn't putting the onus on the special teams. Although, those big returns in UCF and Nevada were back breakers.

Agreed, Punting and coverage has been mostly stellar this year. I was talking about 3 and outs which leads to worse field position no matter where you are starting from.