The Strengths and Weaknesses of Bronco

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Strengths and Weaknesses of Bronco

Post by BoiseBYU »

Bronco came in and saved a sunk ship and restored a sense of pride and integrity to BYU's FB program. He was not even BYU's first choice, but its second after KWitt welched and backed out. He sought to understand BYU's uniqueness, as far as the honor code and recruiting and mission of the school in ways I do not think had been done before. And the man knows defense. He showed that BYU could compete with the best, even with missions and the honor code that other places just don't have to deal with. He took the cards dealt him and has played them quite well. I have a lot of gratitude for Bronco and think there is a track record of success. But...
Bronco has his faults. It seems, all things considered that he is a poor judge of coaching talent. The number of assistants who have come and gone is disconcerting. Some left because they failed. Some are still around but can you point to one assistant who other schools covet and want? Maybe I am clueless but it is hard for me to see that as being so. In Lavell's day we had assistants for 20+ years. They knew their job and they did it well, for the most part, and they earned their stay. That sure isn't today! The HC and the AD appear not to really know how to judge coaching talent. For crying out loud they tried hiring Rodderick who pulled his own KWhitt. Coaching dominoes and ineffectiveness make a difference and a bigger one over time.
Last edited by BoiseBYU on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: The Stregnths and Weaknesses of Bronco

Post by SpiffCoug »

Bronco has plateaued. He's the guy who keeps doing the same workout over and over and wonders why he's not getting the same results he was getting earlier on from this same routine.

I don't know if Bronco knows how to mix things up.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Good point Spiff. I agree. As a head coach he has reached his ceiling.

good coach, great defensive coordinator.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

SpiffCoug wrote:Bronco has plateaued. He's the guy who keeps doing the same workout over and over and wonders why he's not getting the same results he was getting earlier on from this same routine.

I don't know if Bronco knows how to mix things up.
I think you are right, but the current streak of losses and poor play is not so much, in my view, that Bronco has peaked or plateaued, as much as that he's surrounded by undisciplined players (see penalties for example) and uninspired playing. Those are more the evidence of poor coaching than plateauing. It is poor coaching that can't respond to what anyone would concede is a huge obstacle thrown our way not plateauing...At least as I see it.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote: I don't know if Bronco knows how to mix things up.
Really? How about a controversial firing after a USU loss and taking control of the defense?
How about sitting Jake Heaps despite fan outrage and playing the "shouldn't be a D1 athlete Nelson" who looking back was definitely the right choice?
Turning Ziggy into a top ten draft pick?
Getting KVN drafted?
going from his 3-3-5 project to 3-4 to give the defense the most bang for their buck through a strong position at BYU (linebackers).

Do you think KVN/Ziggy would have just been drafted without bronco? I'm sure they would extoll his level headed approach and doing the same workout over and over.

Speaking of shaking things up, how about turning the defense over to a DC and attempting to focus his time elsewhere?

Yes, I think we are getting to the point of taking Bronco for granted.

And beside,s how many quality top 5 coaches "mix things up" every year. The most consistent ones are those who actually DO the same things over and over because what isn't broken doesn't need "mixed up". Not to say you're going to win every game every year but consistency is valuable.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

jonnylingo wrote:Good point Spiff. I agree. As a head coach he has reached his ceiling.

good coach, great defensive coordinator.
Plateauing and hitting a ceiling are two different things. One means that he's currently level and can continue upward with the right changes, the other means that there's no possibility for him to improve any further.

I'd say it's a plateau, brought on, in part, by injuries.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

BroncoBot wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote: I don't know if Bronco knows how to mix things up.
Really? How about a controversial firing after a USU loss and taking control of the defense?
How about sitting Jake Heaps despite fan outrage and playing the "shouldn't be a D1 athlete Nelson" who looking back was definitely the right choice?
Turning Ziggy into a top ten draft pick?
Getting KVN drafted?
going from his 3-3-5 project to 3-4 to give the defense the most bang for their buck through a strong position at BYU (linebackers).

Do you think KVN/Ziggy would have just been drafted without bronco? I'm sure they would extoll his level headed approach and doing the same workout over and over.

Speaking of shaking things up, how about turning the defense over to a DC and attempting to focus his time elsewhere?

Yes, I think we are getting to the point of taking Bronco for granted.

And beside,s how many quality top 5 coaches "mix things up" every year. The most consistent ones are those who actually DO the same things over and over because what isn't broken doesn't need "mixed up". Not to say you're going to win every game every year but consistency is valuable.
Yes, prophets are usually rejected by kind and kin, and maybe BYU fans are taking him for granted. BUt is Bronco taking this opportunity for granted? He has his $2mm/year; he has his DC (apparently, bc hes going back to him this week) and his OC. Whats next? is he going to start sitting in a golf cart? Broncos value to the BYU team has to be measured in part by his greatest strength and value which is to run a kick-butt, consistent D. Brian Harsin just kicked Bronco in the teeth and wiped his mouth with Bronco's own shirt. Mano-e-mano! Bronco said last thursday that he best described his team as "ready"????? Then claimed mea culpa afterwards for not having them ready. What gives??? "What is happening to BYU football? Are they really this bad?', tweeted Chris Hoke. No, Bronco, can mix things up and mix them up some more. Its tough being an HC in colege football and maybe even tougher at BYU. But hes gotta go back to what got him here and not away from it. I wonder if he doesnt want anything at all to do with play calling, bc his D is such a mess. So, let Howell take the tire tracks and arrows and Bronco can keep his job? Is that what hes doing? Then go after a new DC in the off-season? Who knows. Maybe Kilani will leave his chuncky DC, P-5 salary, but I doubt it. Lets see if he can course correct this season or even off season. Because ROund 2 has failed.