Where Does Healthy Taysom Get Us?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

What is BYU's record today (after 8 games) if Taysom is uninjured?

4-4
No votes
5-3
No votes
6-2
15%
7-1
50%
8-0
35%

Total votes: 26

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Where Does Healthy Taysom Get Us?

Post by BroncoBot »

I think 8-0 as well

Food for thought. Probably the worst thing that could have happened against USU was scoring on 3-4 plays that first drive. I think they went into desperation mode right off the bat, which meant throwing a lot of long passes, and it worked all night. Unfortunately BYU's achilles heel has been giving up the "big play" this season. Whether it's a 2nd down and short that turns into a 40 yard pass, or a 3 and long that is unbelievably converted (again). It's been hard to watch. BUT, I think that simply having Taysom around would have decreased the frequency of those big plays, probably enough to keep the defense playing with confidence and keeping BYU undefeated.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

And that pretty much sums up the problem with this team, this OC, and Taysom. Let's stand around and watch him make plays. The mighty Taysom (Casey) at the bat. Not ripping on THill. But he does have to play smarter, that is if he ever plays again, let alone for BYU.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

7 - 1

Hill would have kept up with USU, we wouldn't have started flat against UCF and we would have had a couple more touchdowns vs Nevada, although I am not sure we would have had those passing TDs.

BSU had our number.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
rblack
Sophomore

Post by rblack »

BYU beats Boise with Taysom Hill. First quarter BYU scores instead of doing nothing offensively. Second quarter, BYU scores instead of throwing and interception late in the half. Third quarter, BYU isn't already 25 points down, they may still be down; however, the size of the problem is manageable. An 11 point lead with BYU getting the ball first in the second half would have made that game manageable. In fact, BYU might have pulled out a win without Taysom Hill if they could have figured a way to score after the safety instead of throwing an interception that cost them another 7 points. This size of the problem was too big for BYU to fully swing the momentum. With just a little more first half offense, the size of the problem would have been smaller. The weakness that BYU had against Boise was the inability to overcome the big play lapses on defense. Had BYU started with a Taysom Hill offense, this game might have been a high scoring affair; however, BYU comes out with a win.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

I picked 7-1. Loss to BSU. My next choice would be 6-2 losing to USU. He would have made a difference. The is why he was the starter and getting Heisman mention.

If he ever becomes a consistent threat to go over the top, he will win the Heisman.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougy_Monster
Sophomore

Post by Cougy_Monster »

I vote 8-0. TH just has to big of an impact on the flow of any game. Not only can he single-handedly take over any drive, but he can set the psychological tone for both teams. He gets in the heads of the opponent's OFFENSE as well as their defense. The opponent's offensive players are sitting on the sideline knowing that their defense can't control TH and that does some work on their psyche as they watch their team's D get Taysom-Handled for 80 yards, either through a methodical, well-executed drive or through a 1-3 play drive that ends in a 50+ yard ESPN highlight Taysom run.

The thing with players like TH, Detmer, Steve Young, McMahon, etc is they could/can take over a game that is played with 22 guys on the field, each of which has an essential role. Being able to control the momentum of that system is VERY rare.

Basketball has a lot of guys that can take over a game pretty quickly, since all it takes is a ball-hog and a hot hand. But taking over a football game is like trying to be the soldier that single-handedly determined the outcome at Normandy.

Even more impressive are non-QB offensive players that could take over games, like Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders. And above all are the defensive players that can consistently disrupt the coordinated efforts of 11 highly trained athletes running plays that are usually specifically designed in some way to keep that particular defensive player out of the play. Guys like KVN, JJ Watt and above all Lawrence Taylor -- the most disruptive defensive player with a gift for taking over a game ever to play the game.

Taysom HIll, if he can stop getting season ending injuries, will be a take-control-of-any-game-at-any-given-time kind of player. And we will see him in Super Bowls as a result. ****Of course he has a LOT to learn about reading defenses, throwing mechanics, avoiding injuries, etc.....but he has that very special gift that makes him unstoppable when he puts his mind to it. That can't be taught. And can't be stopped.****

Thus, 8-0 is my vote.