So THAT'S why you don't rotate punt return duties!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

So THAT'S why you don't rotate punt return duties!

Post by Brayden Green »

I get it now... :roll:

Pick a guy as your returner and stay with him. Give him every opportunity... that's the least you can ask and expect from a "feel" position

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Schmoe
Retired

Re: So THAT'S why you don't rotate punt return duties!

Post by Schmoe »

Just for nostalgia, can we put Dye back there?

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm guessing that muffed punt is why there had been so much rotation at punt returner. BYU has really struggled this year to find a guy, just one guy, who can cleanly and consistently field a punt.

Not fielding a punt cleanly is on each player who has tried 100%. It is 100% I in the players as to why we've seen so much rotation.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Maybe they just haven't coached them to catch the ball yet.</sarcasm >

When I saw Blackmon start so late to go after that punt, I knew he wasn't going to get there in time, I even yelled to stay away from it, but for some reason, he didn't hear me, and just went full speed into turnover mode.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

As bad as the punt muffs were, I was even more disappointed in the kick off and punt coverage. We muffed a pooch AND we gave up a number of large returns. We did down one punt on the one yard line, but ST play was poor

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Makes you wish we had Falsev still back there...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote:I'm guessing that muffed punt is why there had been so much rotation at punt returner. BYU has really struggled this year to find a guy, just one guy, who can cleanly and consistently field a punt.

Not fielding a punt cleanly is on each player who has tried 100%. It is 100% I in the players as to why we've seen so much rotation.
Sure, but that doesn't make much sense. You pick the most reliable guy and give him 100% of the game duties until he messes up, then you go with the next most reliable guy. When he messes up then maybe you go back to the other guy, or try someone new. We haven't lost a punt yet, so why rotate them the entire year up to this point? It makes no sense, and it is something that I have questioned from the start. It doesn't make sense. Sometimes this coaching group makes weird decisions. How many other head coaches out there would be splitting punt return duties between 3 guys and rotating them?
Last edited by Brayden Green on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I'm guessing that muffed punt is why there had been so much rotation at punt returner. BYU has really struggled this year to find a guy, just one guy, who can cleanly and consistently field a punt.

Sure, but that doesn't make much sense. You pick the most reliable guy and give him 100% of the game duties until he messes up, then you go with the next most reliable guy. When he messes up then maybe you go back to the other guy, or try someone new. We haven't lost a punt yet, so why rotate them the entire year up to this point? It makes no sense, and it is something that I have questioned from the start...
Have you watched the punt returns this season? We've been rotating guys all year. We've been rotating guys, because no one has shown they can always catch the ball. Each one has bobbled punts, fumbled punts, made bad decisions with punts. BYU has been searching all year for a guy they could count on and haven't found one.

If a guy can't handle the pressure of returning punts because they're afraid they'll be pulled if they muff it, then they can't handle the pressure.

The punt return issues are 100% on the players. If they can't handle a little pressure from the sideline, then they should probably stay off the field.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Returning punts is a feel position. If you aren't giving your position player 100% of the snaps during game time you are mismanaging it. We were rotating players from game 1, and issues didn't arise til much later.