Big 12 talk during the game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Big 12 talk during the game

Post by YNot »

snoscythe wrote:The Baylor boards have been talking recently about the Big 12 sniping from the ACC and taking Miami and Florida St as expansion targets instead of BYU +1 as that delivers more TV markets, more national prominence, better recruiting beds/inroads, and it would be a $$ upgrade for those two schools, plus they get to keep their rivalry.
Except, the ACC grant of rights keeps the $$ from Miami and Florida St.'s home games for the next 11 or 12 years. May be the Big 12 keeps the 9-game conference schedule and give Miami and FSU 5 road games every year and Kansas, Iowa St. and Texas Tech at home for the next decade....or play some "home" games in Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa...that actually might make financial sense.

Of course, there's always a way to negotiate out of contractual restrictions. Perhaps a nice payout to the ACC in exchange for releasing the grant of rights commitment. I don't really see why the ACC would really want to let FSU or Miami walk, but, I don't forget that ESPN owns the ACC's rights and many of the Big 12's media rights.

mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

YNot wrote:
snoscythe wrote:The Baylor boards have been talking recently about the Big 12 sniping from the ACC and taking Miami and Florida St as expansion targets instead of BYU +1 as that delivers more TV markets, more national prominence, better recruiting beds/inroads, and it would be a $$ upgrade for those two schools, plus they get to keep their rivalry.
Except, the ACC grant of rights keeps the $$ from Miami and Florida St.'s home games for the next 11 or 12 years. May be the Big 12 keeps the 9-game conference schedule and give Miami and FSU 5 road games every year and Kansas, Iowa St. and Texas Tech at home for the next decade....or play some "home" games in Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa...that actually might make financial sense.

Of course, there's always a way to negotiate out of contractual restrictions. Perhaps a nice payout to the ACC in exchange for releasing the grant of rights commitment. I don't really see why the ACC would really want to let FSU or Miami walk, but, I don't forget that ESPN owns the ACC's rights and many of the Big 12's media rights.
The Grant of Rights may not be enforceable.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... hts-010313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't matter anyway. There is zero chance that the Big 12 would be able to attract any current P5 team to their conference.

dsmith1212
BLUEshirt

Post by dsmith1212 »

Is not this whole discussion based on the simple - and I believe temporary - fact that the current playoff roster is limited to 4 teams? For a number of reasons (including but certainly not limited to the points contained in this current topic) will there not be significant pressure to expand the roster to 8 or more? Every conference wants its champion in. The SEC believes it should have at least two. Money is critical in many ways to every school and conference while the playoffs can become a cash cow. Etc.

The Big 12 - and the Big 10 for that matter - might be better served to push for a larger playoff pool rather than a larger conference. And, as such, an independent BYU might be better served to do the same.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I suspect you are right. We may likely see more playoffs spots before we see conference realignments.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Today the Big XII Commish reiterated their position that they aren't interested in expansion right now, even after the TCU/Baylor snub
Bowlsby wrote: Adding two schools for the purpose of getting to 12 (for a championship game) would be among the poorest reasons to do it.
Apparently, the Big XII thinks they can prevent this from happening again by improving OOC scheduling (which was a joke for both TCU and Baylor), and by pressing for a change in NCAA rules to allow them to have that Big XII Championship Game with a 10 team conference. Once again, the $$$ they save by not expanding appears to be trumping the lure of a national championship and it's incremental added income.