Taysom Hill "Definitely" Back for 2015

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill "Definitely" Back for 2015

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Gunk wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:Thought this was an interesting point:
He also wondered aloud if BYU’s uptempo offense, coupled with his penchant for carrying the football so much, exposes him to more risks than the typical QB in a more traditional offense. He rushed 86 times for 463 yards and eight touchdowns in four and a half games before the injury. Some were scrambles, but many were carries out of the zone-read attack where he had the option to hand the ball off or keep it.
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1846439-15 ... ything-leg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tend to agree with Hill on this. Running more plays and a significant portion of those plays being option plays or QB designed runs does expose him more, which translates into more chances to get hurt.
Point has to be made also, that he made the choice to run many of the times it would have been equally the right read to hand the ball off.
Totally agree. He definitely had the propensity to keep the ball for himself.
With how defenses were scheming him, the read was to give a whole lot more than he was giving it, but with his superior athleticism, it didn't matter a lot of the time. I would assume we'll see an offense more like we've seen in the past few weeks. A little slower, much less called QB runs (though still more than with Stewart), and a much more pass first offense. And we'll still have 60 yard Taysom runs, but they'll be on plays where he's made his 3 reads and taken off.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

BYU's QB situation has been a bit problematic this year as far as depth. I think the departures of Billy Green (2013 class) and Ammon Olsen kind of messed that up a bit. In fact, they didn't add ANY QBs in 2014 and only added Green in 2013 so its no wonder depth had problems.

But here is the projection (from LoyalCougars.com) on the QB situation for 2015:
Active Roster
1. Taysom Hill (True Sr)
2. Trent Hosick (RS So) - 2015 class - Transfer from Missouri via Arizona Western Coll.
3. McCoy Hill (RS Fr)
4. Hunter Moore (RS Fr) - Walk on

Redshirt
Tanner Mangum (True Fr) - Return from mission
Beau Hoge (True Fr) - 2015 class - No mission plans

Mission
Kody Wilstead (True Fr) - 2015 class, 2017 scholarship
Hayden Griffitts (True So) - Walk on

One other that they don't have accounted for that shows up as a class of 2015 commit is Kimane Domena. He is a dual-threat QB but maybe they have plans to use him in other positions? Does anyone know more information on him? Apparently he committed verbally this past March.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Domena tried to commit but was offered by B Doman who is gone. I heard his grades might be an issue. I don't think he is a commit but could be if his grades improve. Might go the JC route which would not be a bad thing.

HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

Neil Pau'u is also a QB recruit (2017 schollie ??) but IDK if he's been recruited as a QB or not. He's tall and lean (serving his mission in SLC Central, and served in our ward for a few weeks).

I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved to WR. His throwing stats from HS aren't gaudy.

He was offered in the Doman era, but per a talk he gave in our ward, he's planning to return and play for the Cougars.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Neil Pau'u was listed in the class of 2014 so he may be back for 2016? Most of the recruiting sites listed him at QB (and some listed him as a 2 star recruit at that position) but I was reading where they said he played more at WR during his senior year in HS than at QB and found an old SL Trib article that listed him as a WR recruit: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/56 ... e.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'd bet that is where he pops up on the radar.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I think the word "Definitely" needs the Bib-ster-isk. ****
Anae said he "didnt know" Taysoms status earlier this week.Anae is Anae.
But Taysom also added an interesting line about "football isnt all there is to life." I know it was in the context of graduating vs leaving early, but it was rather conspicuous when added to the reality that he will likely never be able to run the same as he has. I could imagine his docs saying, Dude, you may not ever have that speed again and worse case you many not come back at all. You can try, but your leg is toast--thank you jackass safety who ruined THs career. dont ever let me run across you--i dont care if you pummel me, im going to cross jack your knee with my size 12 foot as i walk by and you wont be able to catch me....but i digress.
Sounds like he will "defintely" try to make a comeback and that he is not going to enter the draft, but I wonder is he knows something we dont.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Cougs_Rule wrote:I think the word "Definitely" needs the Bib-ster-isk. ****
Anae said he "didnt know" Taysoms status earlier this week.Anae is Anae.
But Taysom also added an interesting line about "football isnt all there is to life." I know it was in the context of graduating vs leaving early, but it was rather conspicuous when added to the reality that he will likely never be able to run the same as he has. I could imagine his docs saying, Dude, you may not ever have that speed again and worse case you many not come back at all. You can try, but your leg is toast--thank you jackass safety who ruined THs career. dont ever let me run across you--i dont care if you pummel me, im going to cross jack your knee with my size 12 foot as i walk by and you wont be able to catch me....but i digress.
Sounds like he will "defintely" try to make a comeback and that he is not going to enter the draft, but I wonder is he knows something we dont.
What he seems to know is that spring practice reps will be limited to no contact and that he plans on being the QB next season. Good enough for me right now.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

and dont even get me started on Anae. If he doesnt scrap that read-option offense, he should be replaced.
Consider: Stewart and this O have produced more than enough yards and almost points, to win as a program, after ample practice and prep.
Consider: THill will need to be protected next year as much as Christian was this year. There will be plenty of runs to make--SAFELY--Taysom and Robert. Think Russell Wilson, and Steve Young! not Robert Grifin. Taysom, you are better than merely a RB! who can throw. Be a Quarterback! get some hypnosis, bc in heat of game, you react like Riley.
Consider, Tanner Mangum would likely be the heir apparent, if THill can actually come back for 2015, with 3-4 years to play starting in 2016. Why the freak not keep the current offense in place and refine it rather than go backwards to Anaes pet offense???? El stupido

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougs_Rule wrote:and dont even get me started on Anae. If he doesnt scrap that read-option offense, he should be replaced.
Consider: Stewart and this O have produced more than enough yards and almost points, to win as a program, after ample practice and prep.
Consider: THill will need to be protected next year as much as Christian was this year. There will be plenty of runs to make--SAFELY--Taysom and Robert. Think Russell Wilson, and Steve Young! not Robert Grifin. Taysom, you are better than merely a RB! who can throw. Be a Quarterback! get some hypnosis, bc in heat of game, you react like Riley.
Consider, Tanner Mangum would likely be the heir apparent, if THill can actually come back for 2015, with 3-4 years to play starting in 2016. Why the freak not keep the current offense in place and refine it rather than go backwards to Anaes pet offense???? El stupido
I think anae is trying to cater to players strengths. And while I'd rather have a straight drop back passer offense at BYU, the read option was one of the best in the country while Taysom was running it. It was a thing of beauty.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

With Hill (dual-threat) and Hosick (pocket passer) projected as the top 2 QBs on the roster next year, I hope they tailor the offense to be more balanced and less read-option. It would help with continuity should there be a change at QB.

Also, many of the future QBs are more pocket passer-types than not:
- McCoy Hill "can throw well but mobile for his size"
- Hunter Moore "more of a runner"
- Tanner Mangum "pocket passer"
- Beau Hoge "pocket passer"
- Kody Wilstead "pocket passer"
- Hayden Griffitts "pocket passer"
- Kalin Hall "pocket passer"

I'm all for putting in some things for T. Hill and Hill or Moore (should circumstances allow) but also want to see a less-forced feel to the running game. Sometimes it felt like we were running because we can't pass...that really takes the WR and TE largely out of the game.