Topic From the Radio

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Topic From the Radio

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I know most of you don't like listening to local sports talk, and I can understand why. However, yesterday Hans and Monson were talking about the 3 things that they would work on if they were put into the AD position tomorrow and were to have the job for 1 year. I thought it was an interesting conversation, and I can't remember exactly what their answers were, but I have 3 suggestions of the things I'd change if I could (and nothing as silly as firing the Head Coach). I also wonder what your ideas would be.

1. Ask the board of trustees if they are prepared to fund the athletic department to the level that it needs to be funded to compete at the level they say they want it to. The athletic department can't be a high level P5 program on high level G5 money. This includes money for facility improvements, head and assistant coaches, stipends/insurance/etc (all of the things the upper level P5 programs will be doing).

2. Ask that the honor code department be removed from the institution and that all honor code violations be handled between bishop/clergy as it is in the rest of the church. I'm not asking BYU to give up it's stance on Sunday play, just the tattle tale component of the honor code. The honor code is too punitive.

3. Pursue scheduling agreements with the Pac 12 for 3 games a year (including the Utah game), and the Big 12 for 3 games a year. Those games, along with the games with BSU and USU annually are 8 built in games. I am then left with only finding 4 games a year instead of 12. With the P5 conferences looking for improved scheduling (ie Baylor wishing they had a BYU on their OOC schedule compared to what they have), now is the time to start locking these types of things down. Also, it builds in 3 really nice home games a year. I would also try and schedule one of my road games a year as a neutral site game.

Those are my 3. I know at least 2 of them are highly unlikely, even though they are the 2 that would help the sports programs the most.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Topic From the Radio

Post by Qman »

With #2 -- removing the Honor Code

I suspect BYU will cease to be a university before the Honor Code is removed. I agree it would wildly change how we could recruit etc.

Here I suspect are the two reasons why:

--BYU sports support BYU's mission-- They are not BYU's mission.

--What would the point of BYU be without an honor code? Education is available elsewhere.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

Should the armed forces school get ride of there honor code? No, BYU forces nobody to sign it and we win with class. I not selling BYU's soul to win some football games. We all seen what happens when you bring in guys that can't handle the Lds environment..disaster.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I'm not saying necessarily get rid of the honor code (although some changes would be nice), but to remove the honor code office and have it handled through bishops or other clergy.

And honestly, the only people getting kicked out for honor code violations are when it's a criminal or potentially criminal act or someone gets pregnant. Not much would really change if it were handled by bishops.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

BYU would be just fine with the honor code as is, if #1 and #3 improved.

I would add - may be as an offset of #3, that BYU be included at some level in the bowl options for both the PAC 12 and Big 12. For instance, BYU would be eligible to play in each conference bowl games outside of the NY6 - but, with some sort of limitation, such as no bowl game in more than 1 out of 4 years or so. Also, I would convince the Big 12 to add the Las Vegas Bowl to their lineup and the PAC 12 to add the Armed Forces Bowl to their lineup, such there would be 4 bowl games in which the matchup could be BYU-PAC 12, BYU-Big 12, or PAC 12-Big 12 (Alamo, Cactus, Las Vegas, and Armed Forces Bowls).

Also, as part of the PAC 12 and Big 12 scheduling agreements, I would look to include 3 basketball games with each conference per year.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I would pursue a bowl agreement with another conference. We might have to give up something but with a chance to improve our bowl situation, that might help the local fans feel like we have something to play for. I could see it helping the conference negotiate a better bowl lineup.

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

stuckinbig10country wrote:I'm not saying necessarily get rid of the honor code (although some changes would be nice), but to remove the honor code office and have it handled through bishops or other clergy.

And honestly, the only people getting kicked out for honor code violations are when it's a criminal or potentially criminal act or someone gets pregnant. Not much would really change if it were handled by bishops.
Honor code issues are already handled by local clergy (bishops). The Honor Code office serves as a liaison between the University and the bishop. Bishops resolve honor code issues.

runbyu1
Sophomore

Post by runbyu1 »

One of the points being made on the radio is that the honor code shouldn't be more difficult to live than getting a temple recommend is and that BYU students shouldn't have to live something that is beyond what an active, faithful church member lives.

I can totally understand and get behind that. Don't make recruits live a law that is higher than temple worthiness...

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

BYU is not the church and it's not the temple. If the leaders at BYU feel that the honor code needs to be more stringent than the lowest common denominator so that they can preserve a unique atmosphere there, then I support that, because I believe that having that atmosphere is a big part of why BYU exists in the first place.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Temple recommends measure worthiness. The honor code is a standard of conduct behavior and appearance. There is overlap to be sure, but the two are really doing two different things.